Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

This is on here near the beginning of the thread and please, before anyone pooh-poohs it remember that my Stampe has using this system since its inception around 2013. I too was faced with the dilemma of how to fit a tank, given that the original design was for a much shorter 2st, and with the u/c and strut wires in the way I came up with this. The 9oz upper tank will suffice for most 10 min flights. If inverted flight is performed and then a half outside loop done from this presents no problems since the lower tank will only draw in a little air. In normal flight the pressure exerted to the lower tank through a 2mm tube to the lower is negligible, even when taking G force into account, just like turning a tap to a dribble.

Stampe 048.jpg

Stampe 012.jpg

Stampe 013.jpg

Stampe 014.jpg

Stampe 015.jpg

Stampe 016.jpg

• Like 1

The setup recommended by Martin does not work and the performance of the engine in his model is poor. This setup actually makes the fuel head change problem worse than if just one tank was higher up as the lower tank is not pressure isolated from the one above causing substantial mixture changes through the flight. 

Cut a hole, lower the tank. 

Jon, you have seen my model fly enough times to know that the performance is perfect, on both the 155 and 180, so why state that it is not? At W&W I was on the 155 whereas others were on 180s so mine was a bit slower in level flight.

For reasons stated above, using two tanks as shown negates any head of fuel problems, unlike a single high tank. If it did not work I would not use it.

Yes i have seen it fly, and my comment accurately reflects the performance i have observed. The frequent tuning and reliability issues noted are due to this tank arrangement.

The lower tank is not pressure isolated from the one above in the setup you use so the engine will suffer as a consequence. You would have far better performance from the engine if the tank was installed as recommended. While you may find the performance satisfactory it is not operating at its best. 

Cut a hole, lower the tank. 

2 hours ago, bert baker said:

Yep Cymaz started this in 2012 with the immortal words of 

I’m Going to start a Stampe build .........anyone interested,

Yep we all were so be a shame to lock out a long running bit of Stampe

The Precedent Stampe is a real classic. The model has only a few issues regarding centre section strength, but easily rectified and well noted on this build log. With the original build and all the contributions it is a fabulous resource for any Stampe builder.

• Like 3

I hope this all just calm’s down ....hopefully this thread has been an invaluable source to builders and flyers. It’s been going for nearly 10 years for goodness sake. 

If you want a debate by all means but I will back Jon at Laser 100%....there, I’ve nailed my colours to the mast. He goes out of his way to answer any engine questions without fail. Long running engine issues have got to be on another thread please.

Thanks

I hope this post will not incur the wrath of any Moderators 

Edited by cymaz
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...