Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

• 1 month later...

Hello friends, I have recently purchased a Stampe kit from SLEC and I will start building shortly.

I have several doubts...

1-I see several Stampe built and the upper wing is not appreciated dihedral....in the kit the two have to carry.

2- how many degrees, or millimetres of dihedral at each tip of the wing, this is not indicated by the kit.

I have to say that I also have some plans of the same plane from the previous house and they are exactly the same.

Thank you very much for your interest.

Bye

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Originally posted in Spanish. I have Auto translated it but the first question is unclear to me. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE ONLY FORUM - please post any updates in English.

"Edited 28 minutes ago by Martin Harris - Moderator
Originally posted in Spanish. I have Auto translated it but the first question is unclear to me. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE ONLY FORUM - please post any updates in English."

Perhaps we have some Spanish speakers on this forum Martin who could do a better job of translating the original post.

I think the question is clear enough, unfortunately I’m out at the moment and will have a look when I get home

The centre sections may give some clue but I can measure three top wings to give a measurement to the dihedral required at the wing tips in mm, this does not mean to say mine are correct but may offer some help 

1 hour ago, David Davis said:

Originally posted in Spanish. I have Auto translated it but the first question is unclear to me. PLEASE NOTE THIS IS AN ENGLISH LANGUAGE ONLY FORUM - please post any updates in English."

Perhaps we have some Spanish speakers on this forum Martin who could do a better job of translating the original post.

That may be so David, but the rest of us wouldn't know what was going on.  After all, English is the language of aviation.  Having said that, I remember flying into a French airfield just outside Paris, Les Mureux, where all the RT was conducted in French till someone told the controller thst someone was calling him in English!  He then spoke to me in English and everyone else in French!  I kept a very sharp lookout till I was clear of the runway!

Jose,

hello and welcome

The kit plans and instructions does not specify a measurement 

The centre wing sections parts LC9 and LC10 for the bottom wing   and parts UC10 and UC11 for the top wing are cut at  the required angle for Dihedral

You make the 4 wing panels as per the plan remember to pack up lower spars by 1/16” as per instructions 

each panel will be glued onto the centre section and the top spars should line up with the top edges of the UC and LC partsFF250901-D3EA-48D6-A4E1-3901747A1A9E.thumb.jpeg.c5d255b6e36681d143c11d93eb716369.jpeg

I have 3 Stampe’s to take measurements from, 

They are all slightly different at the wing tips as different builders do the wing tips slightly different 

A more reliable measurement will be at the underside of W1 next to w2 as the wing will be build on a flat surface 

E58E53C6-0C55-40CE-82D4-B3DB7FEAA976.jpeg

C5B4E6CE-D4B2-4BF6-ACC4-DF478327DF72.jpeg

3C613A88-BFE3-4A49-B6C5-BF61364AE04B.jpeg

415E0345-B2B7-4940-928D-479A25418966.jpeg

7 hours ago, David Davis said:

If we have a Spanish speaker who wants to assist, could I suggest they PM Jose to establish what he wishes to clarify and perhaps post on his behalf.  I’m afraid the forum CoC specifically requires all posts to be in English so posting the original text is not an option. 

Each of my Stampe’s are all slightly different for Dihedral,

Top wing

At the bottom of wing rib W1 Mine measure 11-20mm

Bottom wing 

At the bottom of wing rib W1 mine measure 12.5–15.5 mm

The Blue wings

Top blue wing is 12mm at W1

Bottom blue wing is 15mm at W1

hope this helps 

You do need to study and understand the plan before cutting and gluing parts together 

I would expect that all our other Stampe owner’s measurements will be similar 

Also some might be able to give reference to the full size

I only have what I have and able to take measurements from them

they might be right they might be wrong 

but they all fly ok in my opinion 

AA9204FE-7DC4-4EF8-940D-92D063D3E3E4.jpeg

5D441EB9-1C25-4E7E-899B-26788922A116.jpeg

Those detailed pics from Cymaz show the tail to be at a +ve incidence. Unfortunately mine was built from an original Precedent kit with the 1/4sq. spruce longerons level all the way to the fin post, resulting in the tail being at 0 deg. This meant that it will only fly with a huge amount of down elevator, although that does not detract from the performance, just looks weird on the ground. Because there is 1/16th ply from the fin through the tail it was not possible to correct this.

First I apologize for publishing in Spanish.  Then thank everyone for your interest and quick responses.  This forum is very helpful for less advanced builders and this thread about the Stampe is very interesting since each of you contributes your grain of sand and your peculiarities to this model and we are all getting ideas.  I would also like to modify the upper wing in three parts and the lower wing in two to have access to the interior of the fuselage.  I am studying how to do it....Thank you all very much for your help and understanding, greetings.

• Like 3

Jose,

Take a look at how Practical scale have done the top wing of their 1/3 scale Tigermoth

It does need working rigging 

Svenson 1/4 scale Stampe has a three piece top wing

If your going to make it heavily modified I would suggest looking how Practical scale fit their wing struts