Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale

cymaz

Today framed up both the fuselage sides. Made one then grease proof paper over that then built the second straight on top. The two are now the same. Will put on the side doublers tomorrow after the glue has been given all night to completely dry....best not rush glue that is drying it will come back and bite you on the bumteeth, by coming apart in your hands!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First side

dscn5543.jpg

Second side

dscn5544.jpg

Edited By cymaz on 04/11/2012 17:24:59

Bit the bullet and glued the tailstock up and framed up the fus. The time spent getting everything square (2hours) was of course well spent. I have used all suggested methods in my other thread about not building a banana. The cross bracing is not on the plane but it really stiffens the whole structure up well for very little weight gain.

stampe fus 001.jpg

stampe fus 002.jpg

stampe fus 005.jpg

stampe fus 006.jpg

Edited By cymaz on 07/11/2012 12:25:19

New tank arrived today, Fits a treat. Will start on the wing centre sections and the tail. I am going to hide the elevator linkage and horn in the fus if I can by putting the servo in the rear and use closed loop rudder.

The fus will have to stay unsheeted/finished for quite a while so I can get into everything. The cross bracing has really made a difference to the tortional strength which is good if I can get the elevator servo in the rear somehow.

I wanted to do a scale version of the real control the the pivot arm on the elevator joiner. I could use a long snake I suppose???

Does anyone know what, if any the dihedral is suppose to be for each wing or at least how much the tips need to be blocked up by when glueing to the centre sections......

Dylan, can you shed any light on thisquestion

Edited By cymaz on 08/11/2012 08:55:44

looking good there cymaz, as far as the dihedral goes when you build the centre section there are braces with the angle already in them so when the wing is slid on it is near enough correct. I will get my wings out tomorrow evening and measure the tip height for you, but IIRC it was 61mm but I will double check

One thing to watch are those cabanes that support the top wing, although they are pre formed, one of mine had one cabane leg longer than the other 3, only a couple of mill, and I didn't notice, so when my tail plane was fitted and i tried my top wing on for the first time, they were not level with each other. I thought my tail plane was off at an angle, but as i said it was my cabane. Simple packing in the wing attachment fixed it for me as it was way too late to remove it and fix it propely as the fuz was fully sheeted by then at the front end.

Checked the Laser 150 for size today, I could then epoxy the fire wall. I also put some wooden dowels in it and corner braces on the inside. Made up a trial jig for the undercarriage as the front legs need to be cut for length and drilled again. Also did some more trail fitting of the cowl. Also I may need to put the elevator in the tail to compensate for the engine weight......we'll wait and see.

build 011.jpg

build 016.jpg

build 014.jpg

build 013.jpg

Edited By cymaz on 09/11/2012 13:07:06

Looking good .

And you mised the dodge the hail game this weakend. it was three flights ony and I thought I should of done like wise and staid at home and worked some more on the fokker. The tigger is distracting me! i shal have to take insperation from your speed of build and consentrated on the one till finnised. But engine choice is my delemma at the moment.

Here are the lower and upper centre sections. I have put basa triangle fillets in most of the outside ribs for strength. Also my Hanger9 1/4 scale cub pilot has arrived. Very good deal from here.

dscn5571.jpg

dscn5570.jpg

Just seeing how long he's been hereembarrassed

001.jpg

Edited By cymaz on 16/11/2012 11:33:49

Began building the tail. I followed the instruction booklet and now wish I hadn't. The book said put leading and trailing edges down and cap strips and add the ribs. I then noticed after everything was glued that the ribs have a profile on each edge. I should have put the ribs in centrally and then put the cap strips on after the fin was lifted from the boardcrying.

Still it wont be very noticable as it is on the bottom.

stampe tail 001.jpg

Picture shows the rough fin ( it will be sanded!!! ) and the start of the elevators. I will be making the elevators as one then splitting them.

Posted by cymaz on 16/11/2012 11:28:51:

Just seeing how long he's been hereembarrassed

001.jpg

Edited By cymaz on 16/11/2012 11:33:49

If he's anything like mine, not quite long enough! His twin brother who flies my Cub for me must have been modelled on a very small pilot as he only stands15 inches high, which if my sums are correct, means that the model must have been a rather slightly built five footer.

Having said that, he does come at a bargain price and is fairly realistic looking - as are the Hangar 9 wheels which I adopted although I found it rather too easy to roll a tyre off on one wheel cross-wind landing practice so made some aluminium hubs with bigger flanges.

He looks a bit lost in the Cub's back seat so if anyone knows of a source of a slightly bulkier gentleman at a reasonable price I'd be grateful!

Built the elevator as the storm blew on Saturday. As you realise I am building all the main components then dry fitting to get some idea of where the COG will be. If all goes according to plan, ( which it usually doesn't ) I want to put a servo in the tail with a hatch. This will run a short link to the hidden elevator crank as per original. The elevator joiner was improved from plan (T8). A second pair of triangle fillets were cut and 1/8 balsa sandwiched between the two halves. This will provide some decent glueing and pilot holes for the joiner.

The servos in question will be 2 x Hitec 625 for wings, Hitec 645's one each for rudder and elevator. And a Futaba 3003 / 3001 or similar  for throttle. 75lbs nylon coated fishing trace wire for closed loop

003.jpg Elevator showing the blocks for the 3/16 Robart pin hinges as well.

004.jpg Hopefully this will give idea of what I hope to do

Edited By cymaz on 25/11/2012 09:35:56

Edited By cymaz on 25/11/2012 09:39:53