Oodalally

Peter Miller

" It doesn't look too tricky and it's a lot stiffer than other stuff I've covered with the household iron"

Spoon handles can be warmed up on the iron to reach small corners.

As can butter knife blades.

Etc.

No reason to fight with the clothes iron if you can avoid doing so!

• 2 weeks later...

Peter, I have a question about the plan and the article if I may. In the article you mention 1/2" aileron tips but no mention of them in the plans. How much of the tips are shaped from balsa? Do I change direction of the grain in relation to the TE stock? Are they shaped the match aileron profile?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Mike

I am an Oodalally builder but have switched over to resurrecting a model yacht I built 50 years ago. Your post has given me the urge to get on and finish it along with the Grumpy Tigercub which uses the Oodalally wing but designed as a twin.

You have made a nice job of the canopy. I have a balsa plug ready made for mine but struggling to find a big enough bottle. Maybe I will have to stretch one first.

Good luck with the maiden.

Tim R

Hi Levanter,

I made several canopies before settling on this one and found that I had to stuff the plug in to the bottle the opposite way to what I thought was logical. The rear of the canopy plug goes in the bottle towards the neck. Once the initial plug was carved I added about 3/4" to the rear end then shaped to match, this gave me plenty to cut off whilst removing the wrinkles.
I tried Aldi and Lidl fruit juice bottles but the Frosty Jack cider turned out well

• 3 months later...

I’m a bit late to the Oodalally party, but in case anyone is still interested, here’s my take on Peter Miller’s great design. I kept the RCM&E plan from years ago because I liked the look of it and finally got around to building this last winter.

ood-36w.jpg

No longer able to lug fuel containers, starters and other i.c. gear around because of age and infirmity, I opted for an electric version. You can see my solution for mounting the Rimfire .32 motor in one of the pix – alloy standoffs from a substantial ply firewall to get the prop in the right place. The bottom of the cowl is largely cut away to promote a free flow of air over motor and ESC.

ood-18w.jpg

ood-19w.jpg

A large top hatch with a spring latch fixing allows easy access for 4s 4500 lipos.

Quite a lot of lead went into the cowl to get the balance point where it should be – I guess the Rimfire is a lot lighter than Peter’s original .32 SC engine. Should have lightened the tail feathers!

ood-31w.jpg

However, the maiden flight last weekend was a delight. No trim needed to get straight and level flight, unlimited vertical climbs, and by the second flight I was looping and rolling all over the sky. Many thanks to Peter for a super design and to fellow builders for their tips on this blog.

ood-38w.jpg

• 2 years later...

Any excuse to bring this popular design back to the front page - Peter gave an explanation of the name Oodallaly in the RCME article ( April 2013 ) and it always seemed to me to be a variation of Doolally meaning going a bit daft.  .  Today on Channel 4 Countdown a fuller explanation of  Doolally ( or however it's spelt) was given - too long to give here but basically referring to a town in India which had an army transit camp where they were confined and often went a bit daft in the heat.     I  expect you could still find Countdown online if you are interested.

But a  plane worthy of consideration today I think.....