Phil Winks' Tucano

Phil Winks

Finally I've left the starting blocks and with a full bank hol weekend ahead should make good progress over the next 3 days. the end result of 2 hours in the hanger this evening has the extra parts for the removable wing cut and both wing panels put together and under weights to keep them flat while the aliphatic resin sets overnight

1st the ply parts

toucano build day 1_01.jpg

And how they go together

toucano build day 1.jpg

Not that you can see much but this is the wings drying under pressure

toucano build day 1_02.jpg

Well just about last out of the gate but I feel I've hit the ground running (hopefully)

Phil

I've been in the shed since 11 ish this morning and the progress is good after profiling the wing panels I routed out and fitted the U/C hard points using a hobby drill in a stand as a mini router, this made the job so simple

toucano build day 2.jpg

followed by chamfering the wig roots ready for attaching to the center section. this is made easier by glueing tilt fillets under the sanding block and keeping the wing panel flat bring the edge of the sanding block against the wing panel a few strokes later and the job is done.

toucano build day 2_01.jpg

Finally the whole assembly glued and drying while pinned flat to the building board with the appropriate packs under each wing tip to achieve the correct dihedral

toucano build day 2_04.jpg

Now I have to leave this all over night to ensure the epoxy is fully hardened before tidying up cutting the ailerons and starting to cover. the wing panels have already got the torque rod grooves cut, and have had a coat of thinned water based varnish as a sanding sealer.

I have increased the root to tip taper pretty much as Nigel has with his latest and it does seem to give a more scale like wing form.

Phil

You certainly do James or I may just overtake you, some chance lol.

One point has occured to me today, I designed the construction of this wing mod to be done with the tools in my shed, unsuprisingly not everyone has a mini router , though easily avialable for dremels so perhaps for those that haven't I'd suggest laminating the wing centre from 1/4 and 1/8th to make setting the ply mounting plate in easier

Phil

Day 3 of the build and while I didn't get the fuse together it is now in the jig dry fitted.

1st the mounting of the aileron servo

toucano build day 3.jpg

then the fuselage parts all dry fitted in the jig

toucano build day 3_01.jpg

toucano build day 3_02.jpg

and close ups of F1a and F2 showing the motor X mount and the hole cut in F2 to allow access to the rear of the motor for mounting and to allow air flow also making fitting of the esc and flight bty's easier

toucano build day 3_05.jpg

and finally the detail shot of the wing support plate with the cutout to allow the aileron controls to protrude into the fuse below the canopy

toucano build day 3_04.jpg

Also note F2 and F3 have been reinforced with ply. F2 with 0.4mm on both sides and F3 with 1.5mm to the front side to increase strength where the wing mount tongue is inserted

Tomorrow afternoon I hope to get the fuse glued up and possibly the ailerons cut and the torque rods and journals fitted

but 1st I have to erect a lean-to roof for a client. busy life or what lol

Phil

Bit of a day 3 update. I snuck out after tea and the fuselage is now glued up so I should make some reall progress tomorrow getting things like the nose former, tail feather servo mounts, snakes etc fitted as well as cutting the ailerons and fitting the torque rods.

Happy chap cheeky

Phil

Didn't get too much done today but the progress after less than 12hrs in the shed is pleasing

tucano build day 4_01.jpg

Nigel wasn't wrong when he said this is a pretty quick build, not that I doubted him.

The pencil line around the aperure on the nose ring is the limit of the spinner I have.

tucano build day 4_02.jpg

and one I missed yesterday this is the detail of the wing seat showing the slot in F3 for the tongue

tucano build day 4_05.jpg

don't forget fellas if you click on a pic it will show it full size full screen

Still lots to do including a lot af balsa dust to make shaping that nose I think its the tail plane tomorrow evening though.

Phil

effectively day 5 and a little more progress the stabilizer is well under construction

tucano build day 5_02.jpg

and the cockpit is ready for the canopy to be fitted I have had to al F4 1st as woolsten flyer reported it is mrginally wide (That came as a surprise) and the canopy from vortex has a squarer profile at that point than the f4 on the plans.

tucano build day 5_03.jpg

Phil

Thanks chaps I'm hoping to get the hardware for the tail feathers installed tomorrow and design and make a cutting tool to produce the truncated triangle for the turtle deck as I don't have a band saw and failed to buy triangle stock for this build lol

I think that issue with F4 is a result of the transfer from Nigels drawings to the cad files used for printing also I believe there are 2 different forms of the canopy. the one I got from MHS with the plans is more curved at the front than the one I've used that came from vortex with the pilot set. Not sure why I used this one to be honest as its not as crystal clear as the MHS one which came with a protective film unlike this one that was as is.

Phil

Thats what I did for the triangle for the nose James, but the turtle deck needs such long amounts I'm looking for a system that works time and time again much like the slec balsa stripper but with an adjustable angle for the blade. By the way James I see you've ordered one of them I trust you've ordered spare blades as you'll likely need them fairly quickly and they are cheap enough they are huge scalpel blades and you almost certainly won't have something similar in your tool box

Phil

My long sections of hand cut triangle are a bit wobbly but do the job

I didn't order spare blades for the stripper from SLEC, not at the price they have them at. I have seen the correct blades in packs of 5 from here:

http://www.scalpelsandblades.co.uk/blade-detail_152_v-type-blades-for-supatools-swann-morton-1445.php

I will only be cutting balsa so the blade it comes with should last for some time.

Actually it is a shame that there isn't a commercial balsa stripper with an adjustable angle blade, I bet such a device would be very popular.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 11/05/2013 23:28:16

Ha! Looking at your most recent picture above Phil I can see that like me you're known for nicking the wooden stirrers from coffee shops! My stash can be seen in the back ground of the picture below (top centre).

tucano 30.jpg

I don't know why more modellers don't use them ,they are brilliant for mixing glue, applying filler, stirring paint, I've even built one or two into the odd model - a thousand and one uses!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/05/2013 23:45:18:

Ha! Looking at your most recent picture above Phil I can see that like me you're known for nicking the wooden stirrers from coffee shops!

angel who me pinch things Beb Lol angel actually guilty as charged mi laud blush

Phil

Well I've made a whole mess of balsa dust today shaping the turtle deck and bottom rear fuse sheet

tucano build day 6.jpg

Also got the elevator and rudder servo and linkage fitted as well as the stabiliser fitted looking a little crowded in the equipment bay now.

tucano build day 6_02.jpg

Just enough room for the RX and 2 bty's left

tucano build day 6_01.jpg

The tail fin and rudder next I think when I eventually stop sneezing lol

Phil

Technically this is day 7 of my build and a tot of about 18 hrs work

progress at lunch had the tailplane reset and most of the topdeck and nose complete

tucano build day 7_03.jpg

and by teatime she was looking proper even got a power test done with an 11X8.5 triple she's pulling 390W and at the min she's weighing 2.3lb with the bty on board if I put the second bty in it goes up to 2.7 so I'm hoping that when everythings done I'm looking at an all up weight of about 3.5lbs performance should be aceptable at least

tucano build day 7_06.jpg

Phil

Just a few more hours during the week and here's the results

Nose leg & rudder fitted 

tucano build day 8.jpg

Battery tray fitted with esc mounted underneath, the magnets are a temp fitting for the fwd hatch which will prob end up being glued on

tucano build day 8_04.jpglso

Also fitted are some cable guides either side of the fuse alongside the aileron servo to keep them out of harms way

tucano build day 8_02.jpg

The RX fitted to F4 with the arial running reawards through F4

tucano build day 8_05.jpg

Finally a shot of the outer fixing detail for the nose leg a deviation from the plan here, I've fitted a 3mm ply plate outside and inside the fuse with M3 cap head bolts and captive T nuts inside and a 3mm ply block around the section of noise leg that turns up into the fuse so inside the fuse its in 6mm of ply and outside it runs through 3mm if that makes sense this feels pretty solid and no matter how many times I dismount this leg the screws will remain solid, I plan to do something similar with the main wheel legs

tucano build day 8_06.jpg

The leg appears of-centre this is to get the tyre as close to centre as possible

Next my least favourite job, the wing fairings.

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks on 23/05/2013 21:07:33