808 #16 key camera help

I received my 808 #16 key camera today and it works just fine and I'm very happy with it. Its stock video format is .mov but I want to use its videos in Windows Movie Maker which doesn't accept .mov so I downloaded the .avi firmware file and installed it in the camera which is quite simple to do. I then used the special GUI application to set the camera's configuration and check that AVI v0.49 firmware was installed, which it was.

I then made short video clip and sure enough it had the Windows Media Player icon not the Quick Time one, but when I played it on WMP there was only audio, no video. I thought I must have made a mistake intalling the AVI firmware, so I did it all again but the result was the same, no video only audio. So I've had to change it back to the MOV firmware.

I'd be grateful for any advice or suggestions as to why I can't get the AVI firmware to produce video on the camera.

Edited By PB on 24/11/2012 10:22:01

I've recently had exactly the same experience, PB. The reason is that the AVI format used in the v0.49 firmware isn't the standard AVI...disgust I take it you've had a browse through the 743 pages of the RCG thread? It's mentioned in there somewhere!

I prefer Windows Movie Maker (won't take .mov files) to Live Movie Maker (restricted editing facilities) so need the AVI files. I've now installed the v0.49 MOV firmware.

Two solutions:

1. Download this MOV to AVI Converter. This works fine. I've been using this since I bought the #16.

2. Install AVS4You Video Editor, which strangely enough accepts the iffy AVI format in the firmware. It worked for me but the free version puts a watermark at the beginning and end of the edited movie. If you have taken a video on the iffy AVI format, and you don't want to write it off, this could provide a means of saving it.

The forum guru on the 808 keycam is Bob Moore - I'm sure he'll be along soon.......

Pete

Thanks for the advice. I donl't know of any applications that will do a 'save as' to a different video format Rentman, only to a different name or location, but thanks for the info.

Yes Pete, I've trawled a load of stuff on the 808 #16 but I didn't know that the avi firmware isn't standard and that's why it doesn't work in WMP - shame that. I agree that though Windows Movie Maker is pretty basic it's the best application for this kind of use and it sounds like the best idea to convert to .avi so I'll go to your link and have a play.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Oh dear...........!!!! downloaded the mov to avi converter on your link Pete and when I treid to covert one of the mov files I got a message saying that in order to play the converted file on WMP I had to ....quote "install H.264 VfW codec ie the latest FFDShow" unquote.

The file converted OK but it still doesn't play on WMP so do you know where I get this codec from?

OK got it.........sorry to have posted too soon.  Now playing  OK on WMP.thanks

Edited By PB on 24/11/2012 12:35:49

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Just to let you know, I have just bought an 808 #16 with 120 degree lense. It was £30 odd delvered to the UK. It took 2 weeks to get here and comes with a USB - Futaba plug, as well as connection to Video out.

It can take video on record, be plugged into the mains, and can also stream video back via FPV gear.

ebay item No. 261131565236

I am going to try it soon and see if it all works.

Also, here is the instruction manual.

**LINK**

good luck.

Posted by Jeff-C on 07/12/2012 15:26:34:

Hi guys.

Just to let you know, I have just bought an 808 #16 with 120 degree lense. It was £30 odd delvered to the UK. It took 2 weeks to get here and comes with a USB - Futaba plug, as well as connection to Video out.

It can take video on record, be plugged into the mains, and can also stream video back via FPV gear.

ebay item No. 261131565236

I am going to try it soon and see if it all works.

Also, here is the instruction manual.

**LINK**

good luck.

Im very interested to see how it works, i do like this style of cam,

Scott

Hi Scott,

So I just did a quick test to see what it is like compared to my old No.11. The quality is so much better although I'm not sure about the wide angle lense as yet. It reminds me what estate agents do to pictures to make a tiny house look almost inhabitable!!

Around the house it was ok, some bits the No.11 was better then the No.16. Tomorrow I will take it outside into the sunshine and see how that works out!

• 5 months later...

Hi, guy

I think you can convert MOV files from your camera to WMV format, a Windows Movie Maker friendly file extension.

As for the solution, I suggest AppGeeker MOV to WMV Converter (both Win and Mac version available). I believe it should get you through what you have. It basically converts anything to anything so you shouldn't have any problem finding something that works,

BTW, you dont need to install any codec, it has all the codecs already built in.