808 #16 key cam first attempt - not good !!!

OK, so the 808 #16 key camera finally arrived, checked it at home, impressed with the video quality, mounted it on my Twinstar II and flew it round the flying field. Result.......terrible !!!

As you can see It was a dull overcast day, but even so every time the camera had some of the sky in view as well as the ground, the camera exposure shut right down to expose the sky beautifully and hopelessly underexpose the ground.

I see lots of videos on Youtube of this camera being flown with sky and ground in view which have both ground and sky exposed pretty well, and I donl't know how to achieve this with this camera. Any advice/tips/flying techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Edited By PB on 01/12/2012 13:02:04

Edited By PB on 01/12/2012 13:08:07

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/12/2012 13:19:27

Obviously smooth flying helps!!

if you rapidly move from sky, to ground views, the camera cant keep up with the change quickly enough, so you end up with either over exposed or under exposed picture. This improves after a second or so but could be part of the issue!!

It doesnt really seem to matter how grey the sky is as it is still going to be considerably brighter to the camera than looking down on the earth!!

Try not to fly with the camera pointing in the direction of the sun as this would increase the problem!!

Good luck and keep trying!

Dave

wink

Hi PB. I am actually impressed by the quality of the video itself. As David says, they are fairly simple cameras and do not react like a large camera when the image changes from light to dark. On my Twinstar I have the camera set so that it points mainly towards the ground when it is in level flight and it helps a lot with this reaction time. It's just a matter of getting used to what different conditions do to the camera and how to mount the camera to suit. Cheers, John.

OK, first, thanks for putting my video right BEB. I read the sticky and did what it said, but I guess I got something wrong.

Thanks for all the tips too. I'd be very interested how you've mounted your camera on your Twinstar John. All I've done is cut a slight recess in the removable cabin and threaded elastic down through the cabin to hold the camera in place. It works well as a camera mount, but obviously doesn't point it down enough.

I'll press on though and hopefully get a decent video in time.

Thanks again........

OK thanks John, that makes sense and I played with velcro fastening but it didn't seem to stick to the foam too well. Did you CA it ion? I'll definitley try that though.

Yes Garbo, when I was experimenting in my back garden with camera position I had it on the wing pointing out, on the wing joint pointing back and on the cabin pointing down to show the nose in shot. I wasn't too keen on any of those positions to be honest, but I do like your video - nice - pitty about the music, but that's just my age I guess wink 2

Thanks for the help and advice.

Edited By PB on 02/12/2012 10:59:22

Hi PB. The first photo shows the fuselage and camera and the velcro. The velcro is held on with hot glue on the fuse and camera. The plywood let into the foam is for a Flycam Eco which i sometimes screw onto the front. The green area is to stop any flare into the lens from the reflection off the white foam.

Fuselage and camera

The second shows the camera mounted on the front with the chain and split ring sited under the canopy as a back up.

Camera on fuselage

The third photo show the side view and the angle that the camera looks down at. You can vary it a little to get the shot you want. I go for the horizon in the top 20% portion of the image and the front of the fuselage just showing into the image. As Garbo says, seeing part of the model in the image makes for a better shot.

Side view

Cheers, John.

Edited By John Payne on 02/12/2012 14:44:27

You will find that Key Fob cams don't particularly like grey overcast days! Due to the low light levels it has to turn up the sensitivity and this effects its ability to distinguish between the sky and ground.

On a bright a bright day you will find it works much better but you do have to avoid pointing anywhere near the sun!

I have a suspicion the HD #16 are a bit worse in this respect than the ordinary ones.

John what a great set of pics, thanks...............

I gave mine a quick frontal lobotomy:

pic02479.jpg

pic02480.jpg

Your mounting is a much better idea so I think I'll put its brain back in with some spare foam and copy what you've done.

Simon yes I think you're right. Reviews do say that they tinkered with the exposure setting on the #16 but supposedly for the better - perhaps not for this use though !!

Thanks again for help John, much appreciated.

Yes John H, we are spoiled a bit I guess. The downside is that it's not very photogenic unless you're brave enough to let your model go over towards the sea. Just about stays in visual range, so not for the faint hearted. Here's the Wiki on the airfield:

Just a quick return to this post to say thanks for all the help and advice which certainly worked. I repositioned the camera on the Twinstar as you suggetsted John, and you were dead right too Simon that this camera works best on a bright day. Here's the result, a much better effort, with a little intro clip showing the camera mount on the Twinstar.......but check out that big fella !!!