Martyn K's Tucano

Martyn K

More lessons on how to do it Martyn! I bet a few people would be interested in your plan for that one. I'm still looking for a chance to do the first flight with my "Seacano", hopefully this Saturday if it doesn't "pee down". Perfect day yesterday but couldn't do it because of gas and plumbing problems and I'm working today. I'll get there.

Hi Colin

Which bit? The model was built from the standard Mass build Tucano plan but modified for a built up wing. I simply hand drew the rib locations onto the RCM&E plan. The rest of the 'changes' were simply made to accomodate an oil burner instead of an electron displacer.

The planform is exactly the same as the original although I have changed the aileron location slightly. I am more than happy to redraw the wing and publish as a PDF if there is enough demand.

Martyn

Smashing Martyn! Really nice model. The Tuc is proving to be a very flexible platform for variation - which is great for the Mass Build as it allows folks to see lots of different building styles and techniques. Maiden lined up soon?

BEB

PS Sorry to hear your news Colin - hopefully your "gas and plumbing" problems will be sorted soon and you will enjoy a full return to health! wink 2

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 02/05/2013 12:05:19

Colin.

What can I say teeth 2 ROFL..

BEB

Thanks - it was a very good choice - looking forward to Greenacres now. It looks better in a photo rather than reality. The problems with the Silver solarfilm have tarnished the finish somewhat..

I am just starting to think about next years mass build, but I suspect that I may be 6 months too soon..nerd

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 02/05/2013 12:38:07

• 4 weeks later...

Well - I had my first attempt at a maiden flight last Sunday. This was abandoned after about 1 hour of engine problems. The engine is an ancient SC21 bought off fleabay. Although the engine ran OK, I could not get a consistent run between level and the nose up lean check. Basically, the engine leaned out too much and died. If I tuned the engine nose up, at level it was 4 stroking so badly and totally gutless.

Coupled with this, I had a problem with the needle and spraybar sticking made for a very frustrating time.

I think the problem was possibly due to the fuel tank being too high. An additional side effect of the inverted engine was that it was very liable to flooding which made is an utter pain to get started.

Back to the drawing board. I have decided to replace the SC21 with an OS25LA (which has the added benefit of being almost 100gms lighter - I'll be able to remove some weight off the tail).

I have also decided to rearrange the engine so that it is side mounted - the reason being that this was an easier option than trying to lower the fuel tank. At least the carb is about the same height as the fuel tank centre line now.

Time for Surgery.

I remove the old engine and unscrewed the mount then simply toof a junior hacksaw to the fuselage in line with the front of the Firewall.

Installed a new engine mount and rebuilt the fuselage around it.

A few photos showing WIP.

p5270001.jpg

p5270002.jpg

p5300006.jpg

p5300007.jpg

You may have noticed that the nose is even less Tuncanoish than before. I am also a tight fisted so and so and reused as much of the wood that I removed that I could, nerd

Hopefully, I will get it finished before the weekend for another attempt. Before the Silver Solarfilm goes back on, the bare wood will be liberally coated with Solarlac - the old Silver came off frighteningly easily. I should also be able to remove 50g of lead from the tail.

Martyn

Hi BEB

It was either that or burn it - or even worse convert it to become an electron displacer

Most problems with models can be solved - a little thought beforehand may have prevented the surgery in the first place. I recently thought that the fuel tank centre line should be level with the crankshaft - from this experience, I have now swung back to the view of level with the carb..

Another problem with the previous engine location was that the exhaust was blowing residual oil all over the wing - top and bottom - and it was seeping into the wing/fus joint area.

The other task that I had with the surgery was to relocate the throttle push rod and servo. Not a huge problem

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 30/05/2013 12:00:06

Its Friday evening, it's sunny and it's blowing a hoolie. What better weather than to maiden a small lightweight model.

Caution to the wind - quite literally - and I had the first 2 flights with my "Very Nearly Almost a Tucano" this evening.

It flew bootifully nerd. Loops, Rolls (slow and fast) were very axial, outside loops were OK, even a stall turn did as it was supposed to. Really quite an impressive aerobatic model.

A few clicks of down and a few clicks of left and it was perfect (as far as I could tell as it was definitely being blown about quite a lot).

The model tracked well, but struggled to turn out of wind while taxying but that was the only minor whinge I had with it. Landings were an absolute doddle - even in the conditions - it was much easier to land than my AcroWot.

The OS25 performed faultlessly - I had never run it before this evening.

Magic! now I can get on with the Magic.

Hopefully get some in flight photos in the next few days. There was no-one else at the field tonight - other members had more sense.

Martyn

Cheers Phil.

Its rather a small model, flying at my normal aerobatic box height (150m) was too high - so I suspect that unless you have a good tele zoom lens then in flight video may be a little lost.

Great fun though.I am feeling quite pleased

Martyn

Thanks BEB

More than happy for Nigel to have the credit. It's a lovely model.

At the moment I am contemplating ripping the covering off and redoing it except use Oracover rather than Solarfilm..

I'll see how I feel about it after Ian has seen it.

Martyn

No worries. It was only spelt with a 'y' becuase my mothers best friend had a son (who was 3 years older than me) had the same name but spelt with an 'i. Aparently having my name spelt differently meant that she could tell us apart.

Martyn/Martin

My wife's family in Belfast have connections called Smith and Smyth. It turns out that they were originally Smith, but in WW1 two of the brothers joined the British Army. Neither of them could spell and when they signed up, one of them was written down by the recruiting sergeant as Smith, the other by a different sergeant as Smyth. It went on from there, they never changed it so now you've got both!

Posted by Martyn K on 31/05/2013 22:20:35:

Its Friday evening, it's sunny and it's blowing a hoolie. What better weather than to maiden a small lightweight model.

Caution to the wind - quite literally - and I had the first 2 flights with my "Very Nearly Almost a Tucano" this evening.

It flew bootifully nerd. Loops, Rolls (slow and fast) were very axial, outside loops were OK, even a stall turn did as it was supposed to. Really quite an impressive aerobatic model.

A few clicks of down and a few clicks of left and it was perfect (as far as I could tell as it was definitely being blown about quite a lot).

The model tracked well, but struggled to turn out of wind while taxying but that was the only minor whinge I had with it. Landings were an absolute doddle - even in the conditions - it was much easier to land than my AcroWot.

The OS25 performed faultlessly - I had never run it before this evening.

Magic! now I can get on with the Magic.

Hopefully get some in flight photos in the next few days. There was no-one else at the field tonight - other members had more sense.

Martyn

That's another maiden I've missed!

Well done Martyn.