Ian Jones' IC powered and Slope Tucanos

Ian Jones

Some more progress today.

I've done some more shaping on the nose & cowl and applied lots of fuel proofer in the engine bay. I have also used spray fuel proofer in the fuel tank cavity.

cowlfinalshapefuelproofed.jpg

Since I'm having an undercarriage there's some ply plates that need embedding in the wing. It's a time consumeing job to do properly but the result seems to be okay. I used a sharp knife with masking tape stuck to the blade as a depth marker to cut the outside edges then freshly sharped 3/4" & 1" chisels to shave out the recesses.

ucplaterecess.jpg

At last I can really see how the undercarriage and brake system come together. To cover the plates before or after fitting? dont know

ucplatesservolegspositions.jpg

I'm also undecided about the adhesive to use. I've got myself some of that antiphilatic (stops you collecting stampes) that BEB is always on about and I'm pretty impressed with it but I don't know about it's gap filling qualities. Lots of epoxy would sort out any uneveness in the floor of the recesses.

Any thoughts on that anyone?

Thanks Phil and BEB, that's that question answered. I'm pretty happy with the recesses but as for having the floor of them flat enough for a good contact area throughout, hmm, epoxy it is! Thanks for the advice.

The brakes will succeed or fail on two counts I think, contact area and strength of the assembly. I think I've got them covered but I won't really know until it's finished... here's hoping!

Right back to it now clock

Progress and a few problems smilesad.

Good progress with the Tx/Rx setup and decided on two servos to allow flaperons (if needed), brakes linked so that they can be switched or progressed via flaperons lever (some care needed there!)

Problem - getting two servos into the available space. I don't have a photo of the solution yet, but it's different!

Problem - Got the tank ready to fit and checked for air leaks - my favourite is to bung up the tank and immerse the whole lot in hot water - the warming expanding air will find any hint of a leak.

tanktest.jpg

There were not any leaks, that was good smile. Tried to fit the tank, goofed again embarrassed. Since deciding on the tank I had 1. moved the firewall backwards & 2. decided to bolt on the wing at the front. Result, the tank when capped & tubed up was too long and the wing mounting block blocked the route for the tank into the tank bay. I had to cut an opening in cockpit floor and then do something that you can't do on the Internet - took the fus to to my local model shop, Barnstormers. There Matt (Mr Barnstromers) and myself fiddled with a few tanks and I came away happy with one of those nice square SLEC tanks. Quite a difference:

tanksizes.jpg

Lots of advantages in this particular installation, mainly it can sit on the tank bay floor so siphoning to the inverted carb shouldn't be a problem and the sloped front of the tank will ensure I don't squash the fuel pipe against the firewall. It was still a close fit though:

tankclosefit.jpg

Problem - I was going to put in a servo for the steering but it ended up not being that easy to accommodate in the space above the wing so decided to run the push rod right the way through to the rudder servo. Problem, couldn't position the rudder servo to align with the push rod satisfactorily - solution use a servo after all by squeezing it into the main servo bay. Upside of that is it will help with the CG. Ah, talking about the CG..., where's the battery to be fitted to balance the model, well now I know what's going in & on the model I can temporarily fit things and move them around a bit.

bitstapedrecg.jpg

Happily it's tail heavy with the battery as far back as it will go and nose heavy if it's moved close to the main servo bay so at least that's working out to plan. I put it on the scales like this and it came out at 3Lbs 2ozs, hmm, that's going to end up just over the top target weight when finished then - might need the flaperons!

Tomorrow will be fitting the rudder & aileron snake outers, final sanding, fuel proofing all leading and trailing edges - these are the places where fuel attacks and also where the model is likely get dinged; the fuel proofer hadens the wood a little and gives it a little protection.

Thursday I hope to start covering.

Lots to do, I'm hoping for a maiden at the weekend wink 2

Oh dear and I've just reached an important milestone... all the bits are made & tested, everything fits, everything works, nothing binds.

It just needs covering (I'm no good at it and it will take ages) then all the componant parts fitting.

Trepidation that martyn's shutter won't be curtains on the maiden flight.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/06/2013 22:03:20:

Its hard work this gallop to the post business isn't Ian. Next year mate let's both promise each other we'll start earlier!

Looking great in all respects Ian. Looking forward to seeing these brakes in action! Don't wear the "pads" out before Greenacres will you!

BEB

It's that flippin' Catalina that did it, PNF indeed (see here), it was supposed to be a quicky in time for a run up to the lakes for a fly-in, didn't make it. So yes, I'm with you on that - no distractions, start on time, head down and get it done.

Wear the brake pads out, hah, I should be so lucky - I'll be happy if I just get it flown in time now (and if the brakes actually work).

Posted by Martyn K on 13/06/2013 22:00:08:

Don't worry Ian, my camera only kills Heli's as Andy P will testify...

Now stop prevaricating and get it finished.nerd

The weather this weekend is not looking too good though

Martyn

Hehe, I've spent many, many hours on it - start covering tomorrow, the bad wethaer over the weekend will hopefully be an opportunity to stay in the hangar and get it done ready for a maiden during the week... while you are at work. Actually it might be one evening. if it stops raining.

Posted by Phil Winks on 13/06/2013 20:09:20:

In answer to that Ian if yours comes out any where near as stable as mine has then absolutely nothing mate

Phil

Oh good, now I just need the promise of decent weather next week.

Ian

Been standing up all day and need a rest - opportunity for a progress report then.

When the brake servos are fitted the wires need to be concealed as much as possible so I've cut a shallow slot to put them in. Something sticky in the bottom, of the slot will stop them rattling and I'll just stretch some covering over the top.

brakegroove.jpg

Wing fairings. Well I've been wondering what I was going to do about these and now I've found out! I cut some tapered balsa strips and fastened some sandpaper to a tube with double sided sellotape. This allowed me to rough out the shape of the fairings before fitting.

wingfairingrough.jpg

I used very soft balsa and so it could be pushed into shape against the wing. A sheet of plastic between the wing and the fuselage prevented any stray cyano from sticking the wing on.

wingfairingfixing.jpg

Some more scarp soft balsa under the rear of the fairings butted up against the wing will allow more profiling of the rear of the fairings. Then I found an old bit of curved plywood that looked about right and used it as a template to mark out the back of the fairings.

wingfairingcutout.jpg

I'm quite pleased how that turned out.

wingfairingfinished.jpg

I've squeezed the steering, rudder & elevator servos in behind F5 - the usual servo bay - by setting the steering servo lower than the rudder which operates over the top of it. Using the rudder to drive the servo would cause too much binding of the pushrod.

servobay.jpg

Whilst testing the steering I found the noseleg too sloppy a fit so I cut a groove in some snake outer to make a collar which sorted that problem out.

noseleg collar.jpg

So final sanding, fuel proofing and it's time to really start covering. This is a rewarding job because at last the model starts to look something like it will soon be finished but I'm not very good at it and I find it very frustrating. For some reason lost in the last few months, I bought Solartex for covering, can't remember why now, anyway I read the instructions, did as they said and found it's very nice to use and the test piece produced a good result.

coveringtest.jpg

So onto the real thing. I decided to start under the wing, the capping strip that goes down the middle actually. That went quite well until I noticed the marks alongside the covering. Oh no, I've done that before. I've got two irons, one has a handy little shoe that's ideal for getting into little side strips but the screws that retain the shoe are too near the tip and it's so easy to damage adjacent surfaces.

I was just about to get the filler out, as I have done in the past, when I decided to wet my finger and run it in the damage - the marks almost disappeared before my eyes. I thought that maybe running the iron over the remaining marks might produce some steam to finish the job off and also take the moisture away...

small irondamage.jpg

... much to my surprise I was right.. they've gone.

startedcovering.jpg

Right, I've had my rest, back to the hangar.

Edited By Ian Jones on 14/06/2013 18:35:54

Coming along nicely Ian - I like that blue - lovely colour. Solartex is nice stuff to work with, easier than film.

TASTE WARNING - DON'T READ THE NEXT BIT IF YOU ARE OF A DELICATE NATURE!

I'm a great fan of the "bit of moisture trick" to get dings out of balsa. I don't know why, but I reckon the very best type of moisture is spit! Yes - honest. It really does seem to work even better than ordinary water.Put your finger in your mouth, rub it along the mark. Spit a bit more into the dent if it needs it and keep gently rubbing it in. It works like magic! - much better than using filler!

BEB

Looking good mate, seems I'm not the only one who spits on their models to remove dings, nice to know I'm in good company wink

It seems the printers have invented a new word for bits of balsa that potentially have no further use and its catching on isn't it Ian? Quote "Some more scarp soft balsa under the rear" I also spotted this on the plan lol. cheeky

Phil

Posted by Phil Winks on 14/06/2013 19:27:53:

Looking good mate, seems I'm not the only one who spits on their models to remove dings, nice to know I'm in good company wink

It seems the printers have invented a new word for bits of balsa that potentially have no further use and its catching on isn't it Ian? Quote "Some more scarp soft balsa under the rear" I also spotted this on the plan lol. cheeky

Phil

Just working to the plan Phil or is it my dry mouth after removing all those dings, I've been at it for three days now!

However there are some signs of progress. Cheshire Show on Tuesday, picking my son up from Bristol on Friday, 'eck this is going to be close!

nearlycovered.jpg

The photo flatters it, it's nothing like that nice in real life.

Ian

Well its mixed news chaps. First the bad news, there's no way it will be finished in time for Greenacres angry 2sad, the good news is that it should be in flyable condition by midday tomorrow so I'm hoping the rain forecast for me is on pessimistic side and that I will get to maiden it.

It had the potential to look quite nice but alas this will have to do:

no stripes.jpg

Still some bits to finish off but as I say - should be achievable. Today would have been perfect for it's first flight but I was held up by something quite annoying - I needed 8 fairly chunky but short self tapping screws to fasten on the undercarriage, on a Wednesday afternoon.

I also ran out of clevises and had to raid another model because:

faulty clevis.jpg

I had actually fitted that top clevis to the servo's horn and not noticed the fault. I may have got away with it because I ALWAYS fit keepers, even on Sullivan ones. Just as well because that is a Sullivan. The fault only came to light because I needed to temporarily remove it. Erm, it was on the elevator snake, phew, a disaster looking for somewhere to happen and averted it.

Edited By Ian Jones on 19/06/2013 23:46:45

Thanks Phil... by the look of the weather forecast I'd better take some solatrim with me; looks like I may have time to add some decals over the weekend!

I hadn't even considerd fixing the clevis but now you have mentioned it I don't see why not, thanks for that suggestion.

I once landed someone's trainer with the elevator jammed upwards and had to use the throttle for pitch. In this case though I'm certain that it would have ended up with flutter and matchsticks.

Back to the hangar..

Ian

Hi Ian

That is looking lovely. Regarding the Sullivan Clevis, I am strictly unimpressed with them. I have had M2 clevis with no thread or so little thread that the rod slips and have also suffered broken pins like yours - however, they ususally fail at installation - the first time they are sprung apart.

Martyn