ESC binding help

First remove the prop for safety.

With the TX already on and the throttle stick fully down.

Try connecting the flight pack and wait for the beeps to end. Then move the throttle stick to full and then down to zero again. This should teach the ESC your throttle range and the motor should then work (I hope).

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 30/12/2012 22:58:00

That's a bit different to what I thought was the accepted method, WF. The following works for me:

Remove the prop! (We're in agreement there)wink 2

With the flight pack disconnected, switch on the Tx.

Move the throttle stick to fully open.

Connect the flight pack.

When the selection of beeps have stopped, close the throttle stick down.

You should then get an acknowledging beep or two.

Gently open the throttle to establsh correct rotation. If it's running the wrong way, swap any two of the three motor leads.

Pete

You might be right but I thought that connecting the flight pack with the throttle already fully open will put the ESC into programming mode? The ESC would then start it's sequence of program option beep codes??

Edit.. this is a demo and yes start with the throttle fully open but close it after the first beeps and before the programming mode starts. **Link**

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 30/12/2012 23:41:40

Yes, if you leave the throttle stick open long enough it will go into ESC programming. I should have said close the throttle after the first set of beeps - two for the Hobbywing range. After about 5 seconds it will start playing the ESC song........

Easier to do than describe!teeth 2

Pete

There's also another possibility. I have found that sometimes you have to run the throttle trim down towards the low throttle for the ESC to recocnise the low throttle position. Then try opening and closing the throttle fully again.  As previously said, do this with prop removed then check for direction of rotation if this works

Alwyn

Edited By Alwyn Gee on 30/12/2012 23:44:34

Well I thought I had it sorted but alas no joy:this is how I hooked up.

Servo in elevator spot: bind plug in batt./bind spot: flight pack (that is esc hooked up to mtr. on one side & batt. hooked up on the other) hooked up to throttle spot on Rx via the BEC lead.

Binding lever ld on while switching on Tx : bind plug removed as soon as Rx LED is solid : listen for the "tune" & try a variety of positions with throttle / trim but no joy. Have had the mtr running once but not in a controlled way. I'm sure its me thats the problem but can't see the forest for the trees: your further comments comments will be appreciated.

Switching Tx on first did not allow binding? Tx is a Spectrum Dx6I

Hi Ross

Don't remove the bind plug while the receiver is powered up..

Put bind plug in RX in batt/bind slot with a servo and the ESC as you have done.

With the DX6i turned off connect the flight battery and wait for the rapid flashing light on the receiver. Hold the trainer/ bind switch up on the DX6i and power it on. The sceen on the DX6i will say binding and it will beep, hold the bind switch for 5 or 6 seconds and then let it go. The screen of the DX6i should go back to normal and the light on the RX should light solid. This should bind the TX and RX and the servo you have plugged in should now work.

Now unplug the flight battery to power down the receiver and then remove the bind plug.

Then put the DX6i throttle to full and reconnect the battery to the ESC.

The motor will usually play a little tune of three beeps.. doh-ray-me it will then beep for the number of battery cells.. probably two or three times. Then you need to lower the throttle stick on the DX6i straight away before the ESC goes into programming mode.

The ESC may beep once when you lower the throttle stick and that should set the throttle range.

If the ESC plays a longer tune before you get chance to lower the throttle stick then it has gone into programe mode and you need to disconnect the flight pack without moving the throttle stick otherwise you could change ESC settings by accident.

All of the above should work for a standard ESC and Spektrum / Orange receiver.

I have never needed to change the throttle trim on a DX6i on an electric model and leave the trim set to the middle on its setting.

The port on the side of the orange RX is a satellite port that a smaller second receiver can plug into. I have never used a satellite on an orange RX but I think you can just plug the smaller satellite receiver in and it will bind when you bind the main receiver.. but I could be wrong about that.

This video shows how to do the bind.

Once you have it bound and the servos work then you don't normally need to keep binding it again.

**YouTube Video**

Oh and make sure the servo plugs are all the right way around with the lighter colour (probably orange) at the top next to the sticker with the receiver channel names on, red in the middle and black or brown at the bottom.

Good luck and stick with it!

Ross

A point to keep in mind: If when you go through the bind sequence you obtain a solid light on the receiver that means the receiver is bound to the TX. If the throttle still does not work then you have to look for another reason for this. There is no point to keep trying to re-bind it. Only when you have got everything working properly and all your final adjustments made should you re-bind the receiver so that all the neutral positions of the control surfaces and the low throttle position are set to the failsafe..

Alwyn

Mmmmmm! What do I do next if the esc has gone into programming mode: am thinking it would be easier for me to use my F M gear. I have tried using an orange DMS2 & also the AR6100 spectrum. Changed the "model" type on Tx but still it eludes me? I'm sure it must be the operator;the Rx's have shown a reluctance to remain bound as well? At this point I figure I need to know the answer to the programming mode bit & then some other theories on esc set-up. Have no reason to think there is any-thing wrong with my gear/batteries as they all function well with other existing set-ups.Am sure its me as I have hooked up to a spare brand new mtr. esc set-up with same results. I was sure the 537 posting was going to work. The music give do ray me,short pause then one two, another pause then a bit of light ballod tune & mixture after that? I really do appreciate you chaps helping the frail & disabled.

Ross, if you have a separate Rx battery, then disconnect the throttle/ESC cable, put the bind plug in, plug the Rx battery into any opther port, the Rx will go into bind mode, switch Tx on in bind mode, wait until tx and rx have bound. Unplug the Rx battery, remove the bind plug, switch off the tx. Switch on the Tx and plug the rx battery back in, all the servos and everything should work, that shows it's bound OK.

Switch everything off again, make sure the throttle channel has 100% travel and is set to normal direction, plug the throttle in, switch on Tx with throttle stick low plug in the flight pack (no prop at this time), it should work. It should work, if it doesn't then try lowerig the throttle trim to min, I have a couple of ESCs that won't arm until the throttle trim is reduced below the mid point.

Changing back to FM will not cure any ESC programming issues.

I have used a few orange and spektrum Rx's with ESCs and have had no problems, I do always set the control surface throws and directions etc using a spearate Rx battery before I plug the ESC in, just as a safetry precaution though.

It sounds like you were very close but left the throttle stick up for too long.

Lower the throttle after the two beeps and before the longer melody.

do-ray-me (pause) beep-beep

If the esc goes into programming mode, at this stage I will say the best thing to do is just unplug the esc from the battery without moving the throttle stick on the DX6i

The programming works by a menu of beep codes and to change settings you lower and raise the transmitter throttle stick. Obviously you don't want to make a mess of the esc settings by accident and depending on the ESC make and model there are different programming options.

If you are setting this up for a aeroplane then the DX6i model type should be "Acro".

If you keep changing the model memory and model type the receivers probably will go out of bind or if you leave the bind plug in the receiver.

Try and do one step at a time. Get the binding process done so that the servos all move, then remove the battery and bind plug, then try and to the throttle calibration step.

Are you in a club at all? Somebody might be willing to go over the setup with you in person.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 02/01/2013 09:25:05