Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread

Martyn K

Cheers Martin, using carbon fibre dowels and strenghtening the whole area seems the way to do it.

So, A Space must be found either side of the section removed. I had thought of 'twist & turns' on the front but it might get complicated. Anyhoo, it's a future project - model's still in it's box..face 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple of models my father built many moons ago that I have just refurbished, I have re painted the Curare from top to bottom the other model I just clear coated and tried to fix some of the hanger rash.

Neither have flown yet but are ready to go, the red, green and gold model is of unknown origin, so if anyone has any ideas as to what it is please let me know, even my father does not know what it is called, he got the glass fuzz sometime in the late 70s early 80s all he can remember is a friend of his called "Bill" brought it back from Ellesmere Port, the wings and tailplane are made from Curare foam cores and the slight curved tail fin fillet was added by my father, originally the tail/fuzz junction was much more angular.imag010611.jpgimag011715.jpgimag01131.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion Martin, we used to have a Bulldog and its not quite the same, there is a slight flare up in the fuselage just behind the canopy on this and the canopy is located further forward on the Bulldog but it is similar.

I should have mentioned that I noticed that what ever the mold was made from originally had a separate cowl but it looks like they must have joined it to the fuzz to make the mold, on this one piece fuzz you can see a faint join line where the cowl and fuzz were mated. Also the canopy is just made up from an old one that dad had laying around, so that profile could be different as well.

Again thanks for taking the time to reply, this has been bugging the heck out of my father for at least 30yrs.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by ron evans on 11/10/2016 18:12:02:
Posted by Martyn K on 11/10/2016 16:40:35:

A cheeky reply - perhaps it was a McCoy once but now has an Outrunner as a prop shaft...

I cant see a silencer

Edited By Martyn K on 11/10/2016 16:40:54

Maybe not the real McCoy wink

The Taurus referred to in the above quote had a dummy engine sat above the outrunner. Does anyone know where I can source one of these or the 3D pattern to pattern to make one?

Posted by Martyn K on 30/09/2019 09:50:52:

The dummy engine is actually a modified real motor with the crank/piston/liner etc removed and a simple extension shaft manufactured and passed through to the outrunner located immediately behind the dummy IC engine.

Very effective deception

Thanks Martyn,

Done some research and found a dummy engine on this website below. Just need to put the 3D printer to work now! It may need scaling up somewhat.

**LINK**

• 10 months later...

My new Super Aeromaster from the Great Planes plan. Original dates back to 1966 I believe so it should qualify just about.

Converted to four ailerons/servos and powered by a Laser 80. Cowl and spats have been moulded from grp, 3.5kg auw.

It flies as steady as a rock even in a gusty wind and from test flights so far there seems to be little or no rudder coupling; loops are dead straight.

aeromaster 056.jpg

aeromaster 063.jpg

aeromaster 058.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I regret that I do not have any pictures of classic aerobatic models to contribute just at the moment but I have recently acquired a short-kit of Joe Bridi's Super Kaos Junior. I plan to build it over the (northern hemisphere) winter and to instal my OS 40V rear exhaust engine.

Before we get into the question of how long to make the tuned pipe, I have to decide whether to mount the engine on its side and run the exhaust alongside the fuselage, or to mount the engine upright and run the exhaust along the top of the fuselage dispensing with that vestigial canopy.

What do the cognoscenti think?

• 3 years later...

I think this thread needs a refresh...

Here's 3 of my fleet.

My trusty Gangster 63 Lite with Irvine 53

Clipper III, yet to fly but will be tested this coming season, could be fast with a YS63 4 stroke and retracts.

Duplistar, Hanno Suprastar clone, scaled down to 63" wingspan, this one has been flown but the OS61RF needs some attention before I can get a reliable run.

I also built a Curare and have been undecided about the power-plant but have electrified it.

My DSM Joker after a refurb now weighs in excess of 8Lb and needs an Irvine 72 and pipe to loft it so we'll see about that one.

IMG_20191121_191254600.jpg.6e81543a0db3f3467ba959d52fd97690.jpg

IMG_20210601_133915310.jpg

IMG_20210420_124014580.jpg

• Like 4

Clipper 111 was my first proper F3A model. I built two, the other for Jim Davis. Good job because at my first comp I got shot down by a rogue homebuilt Tx, but Jim let me fly his totally untrimmed one and got 4th against the likes of Clive Weller, Mike Bone etc.

HP61 for power.

I should never have sold my old HP61 but at the time there were more modern engines coming along like the OS61RF. It would have been perfect for a classic pattern-ship.

We may have had this discussion before but now I have resurrected my interest in the Clipper III I built some time ago, the CG on the plan always seemed a bit ludicrous at between 45% and 70%. I have set mine at about 35% because much further back than this the nose leg becomes superfluous, not to mention the effect on elevator sensitivity.

In any case, trying to set it any further back than I have, would require a whole lot of tail weight.

Edited by Andy Stephenson