Classic Aerobatic Model Photo Thread

Martyn K

Hi guys.

Just browsing this topic and saw a picture of Clive Weller. I knew him bakc in the early '70's when he flew for Flight Link - Idris Francis's outfit. I bought one and Clive was one of those who helped me learn to fly. Another one was Dave Nieman - we all used to fly at the Hanworth Airpark Model Flying Club of which I was a founding member, albeit a raw beginner. Clive used to roll up with his model sticking out of the top of an Isetta bubble car. I think the Capricorn was the best looking of the old classic aerobatic models. I built one up from a set of bits I got from the man himself and it did wonders for my aerobatic flying. Good to see the oldies are stil popular. Another personal favourite is the Mustfire. Whatever happened to Keith Maundrell? he was a real hot dogger when the term hadn't been invented. He flew a Kwik Fly III, and many a time took off, rolled inverted, ditd the whole flight inverted and landed out after rolling upright at the last minute. He did fly for Skyleader for a while and then I moved abroad and lost touch.

Clive, if you are out there, Hi from me!

Steve Jones

Hi there Steve. As I mentioned to Martyn k, I've not heard anything about Clive for a few years.Maybe, if he's around, he'll post here one day.

As for Keith Maundrell, that was a bit before my time in F3A, but I do have a front page shot of him with his OD gangster like design. I'll take the pic when weather improves.

The Frog Mustfire is a pretty plane, but that semi-sym aerofoil did it not favours. I'd love to build a 'new version' if it were allowed in the Classic aeros format.

You can just see a bit of Moonglow in Mike's Capricorn.

Did anyone NOT have a gangster at some time...?

pic_0087.jpg

Does this qualify? It's a Pete Russell 363 with an HP40R and a quiet pipe. Designed by Pete before the Striker I believe. It is certainly aerobatic and has a HUGE speed range, from walking pace to rat-up-a-drainpipe. It wouldn't win any competitions, since it won't do knife edge, and you really DON'T want to spin it.

Graeme

I did watch the 79 Nats F3A, but cannot recall Ken's decor @ that event, must admit. I thought he changed the decor with each new design &/or year. Will now have to go thro' my old mag's & swat up. Mark Redsell was a brill flyer & only 18 I recall when he won that event. I was fortunate enough to practise on the same airfield as Mark. My first Nat's was '81. Not so easy to remember all the details from back then I guess..dont know

Is that Delta the same from around the mid 70's?

I have a model I bought from Ebay some time ago. It looks like it may be a classic model. Can anyone help in identifying it and tell me anything about it

It has veneered foam wings, 67" wingspan and a veneered foam tail plane which has anhedral. It is fitted with a 60 sized 2 stroke engine.

dscf5563.jpg

dscf5561.jpg

dscf5562.jpg

Moonglow, a pretty good go David! & I almost went for that design as I do have the plan. But Moonglow's a little too small really. I suspect my Merco 61 would prefer it tho crook

However, Mike is spot on! Upset II it is; well almost. Yes, well done. I have since sheeted some, but not all of the wing as I'm trying to keep it light (& economic), again in assisting my Merco 61 to power it. As can be seen, servo boxes, not bellcranks for ailerons. I do like the upright motor format, but went for Side mounting to displace as much fuel residue as possible.

There are a few other mod's I hope Chris would have approved of. But none that might trouble the attractive lines of his design.

So, you have one of the originals??? From the man himself?

Terry,

I have an original Upset 2 part made by Chris Olsen.

Even though I never met Chris, due to a family link I was asked to find out his whereabouts a few years ago. I got an E-mail reply from Ron Moulton at the BMFA stating that Chris had died and that appeared to be that. However an E-bay advertisement appeared on my computer screen some weeks later advertising an 'as new' Merco 49 that had been owned by Chris. I won the engine and the seller confirmed he had bought all Chris Olsen's aeromodelling gear from his brother-in-law. I asked whether he had any of Chris's planes and eventually acquired the Uproar but was also given two part built planes including the Upset 2 plus all his remaining plans. This involved a trip from Croydon where I live to South Wales where Chris had lived near the Black Mountain ranges.

The build quality of the part built planes is remarkably good as you would expect.--I may have some photographs?

Mike