MicroWarbirds P51 and FW190 - Ton's build blog and chat

Ton van Munsteren

Hi my new MicroWarbirds the P51 and the FW190 are flying and doing great but first wink some history.

The idea of the models started with a bearcat more than 10 years ago as an indoor foam model, flying only on rudder, elevator and a speed 300 motor.

On a chat with Rob (mr RBCkits) he made me design the models in balsa for him to make it a kit someday, with the design still flying on Rudder and elevator as a parkflyer.

So far so good and must admit they are still great fun to fly with, even after more than 10 years, but during that period I made some changes which you will see later on.

So we are going back in time to about the year 2002 with the bearcat build from balsa which was to fast for indoor, but to slow on rudder only so some ailerons from depron were attached which made it good fun even on nicad cells.

micro warbird forum (1).jpg

micro warbird forum (2).jpg

micro warbird forum (3).jpg

So were of with the Microwarbirds and yes theres much more to follow.

Ton

Advert

So the Bearcat was the first model, the second was the FW190 see below.

micro warbird forum (4).jpg

micro warbird forum (5).jpg

The good old days of Nicad and Twicell, did some testing with the 8 cell pack Twicell being favoured

micro warbird forum (6).jpg

micro warbird forum (7).jpg

What was I happy when the Lipo Kokam cells became available.

micro warbird forum (8).jpg

Here a pic of the FW190 in the centre just behind the Horten on its first E-flight meeting.

Ton

Gurth,

I will do my very best.

Edwin,

Wind is no problem I fly them regularly in wind force 4 to 5, when other models stay on the ground Iam having fun with the Microwarbirds. Specially with the new models and brushless motors, for me there is no wind limit so they will do just fine on Malta. Its good fun doing rolls and flying inverted at the same spotcool.

Here are two more pics of the old models and the way I store them.

micro warbird forum (23).jpg

micro warbird forum (24).jpg

The next post will be the start of the new models.

Ton

Well that was a bit of history on my MicroWarbirds and enough of that, lets start building the new P51 which will later be following by the FW190.

micro warbird forum (25).jpg

RBCkits made me a nice set of cnc cut parts, cutting it your self is not much work but to be honest why cut it your self when you can have a nice set of cnc parts to start the build with.

micro warbird forum (26).jpg

micro warbird forum (27).jpg

micro warbird forum (28).jpg

Apart from the fire wall for the E-motor, this is all what go's in the fuse

micro warbird forum (29).jpg

On the frond and rear some scrap balsa to align the second fuse side while glueing

micro warbird forum (30).jpg

micro warbird forum (31).jpg

micro warbird forum (32).jpg

micro warbird forum (33).jpg

micro warbird forum (34).jpg

micro warbird forum (35).jpg

Some more pics later.

Ton

Gurth,

Not sure how it will go, but there will be a cnc set for sure when the models have been published.

But that will take some time, first I will have to finish the article , plans and shoot some good in flight pics and that will take time because the weather is really bad.

Here some more pics of the build of the P51;

micro warbird forum (36).jpg

micro warbird forum (37).jpg

Closing the top and bottom of the fuse with 2mm balsa

micro warbird forum (38).jpg

Bottom closed

micro warbird forum (39).jpg

micro warbird forum (40).jpg

Top not fully closed because on the nose there will be a batt hatch and

the small opening at the cockpit will be for placing the elevator servo.

micro warbird forum (41).jpg

micro warbird forum (42).jpg

HXT500 servo 5 gram

micro warbird forum (43).jpg

Servo stick with some tape on the knife for placing and glueing in the fuse with thick CA.

micro warbird forum (44).jpg

Done and that can be closed.

micro warbird forum (45).jpg

Next step will be the wing here are the parts.

micro warbird forum (46).jpg

More pics later.

Ton

Yes Danny, it looks like the world in gone Mustang crazy with my two Mustangs and the one Tony is designing.

Although the Mustang is an great plane, to be honest the Spitfie is my all time favourite and who knows if the MicroWarbird are a hit there will also be a Spitfire some day.

About the stringers, the Mustang is just fine as it is.

Ton

• 2 months later...

Hi Danny,

The motor Iam using on both the FW190 and P51 is the 151022 type, weight 16gr, controller 10A and an 2S 360ma lipo pack.

http://www.rctechnics.com/151022-brushless-outrunner-2200kv-16-gram

You could go to a little bit bigger motor because you could use the weight in the nose.

At this moment my lipo's are running back in performance and I will be testing a 450ma Gens-Ace pack, also because the extra weight will be of good use in the P51.

Ton

Edited By Ton van Munsteren on 29/04/2013 20:08:05

Hi Ton that is good news, I have just had a rummage in my "very" local hobby store (the garage) and I have two brand ne 500mA 2S packs. I also found a couple of 5 gram servos and a 12A esc smile p

However I failed on the motor front, the smallest I have is just a bit too big so a quick search turned up one of these:

Voltage: 2~3S
RPM/V: 2100
Internal resistance: 0.12 Ohm
Max Loading: 7A
Max Power: 63W
Shaft Dia: 2.0mm
Weight: 24g

Just a bit heavier than the one you are using, but otherwise similar enough I reckon wink 2

Lets see if I can knock a P-51 together for Greenacres 2013

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 29/04/2013 21:13:40

• 4 weeks later...