MicroWarbirds P51 and FW190 - Ton's build blog and chat

Ton van Munsteren

Father and son build (I built the 190 and my son the p51) Test flew them today and we are very happy with them. They are surprisingly quick and very agile. The p51 is quite a stable flyer whereas the 190 is a lunatic, and put a big childish grin on my face. Looking forward to tomorrow for sum more dog fighting!!

Marc,

What a great build they both look fantastic , a job weldone.

Great to know you both enjoy the models and would love to see a vdo of the flying and even better a good dogfight.

Would love to know what setup youre using and what the finish is, because they look great.

Thanks for building the models and yes the P51 is more stable than the FW190 which is much more a wildthing.

Cheers, Ton

Cheers Ton, the setup is a 1510-22 motor with a 5.5x4.5 prop, 10a speed controller, 2s/500 lipo and 4.8g digital servos. The finish is solartex painted with Tamiya acrylic and some printed decals.

I use solartex although slightly heavier than film I find it very strong, durable and takes paint well. For the amount of solartex used the weight is very minimal.

• 3 weeks later...

I need some help with a way to connect the wing servo arm to the inner cable of the aileron snake. I've been stuck on this for the past month and still haven't found a solution.

I've considered all sorts of solutions involving soldered piano wire but I cannot think of a secure way to then connect the piano wire to the servo without excessive play.

I bought some push rod retainers from Asia, and after waiting a month, I found that they are too large. The push rod hole is 2.1 mm and they are quite large all round. I've since discovered that they do have some 1 mm retainers but they still look a bit bulky. Maybe this is the best or only solution?

So, what's the smart way to connect the servo arm to the aileron cable?

Thanks Ton,

I hadn't thought of putting two pieces of wire into the same hole on the servo arm; good idea. The problem is that my nearest hobby shop is 1000 km away and buying piano wire online is usually difficult and expensive because of the long lengths. However, you've given me an idea that might work using what I have on hand.

• 5 weeks later...
Posted by Ton van Munsteren on 06/08/2014 21:40:39:

Phil,

Any news if it all works rightnow and is the Microwarbird already flying.

Hello Ton,

I couldn't find any suitable wire locally so I decided to order a servo connector to clamp onto the snake inner cable. Mail normally takes a month to arrive from Asia so I expect to receive the connector sometime soon. The partly built wing has been sitting around far far too long gathering dust.

• 6 months later...

Well, a year! after I started this build, I´m finally done!
My first scratchbuild, only done lasercut kits earlier, apart from all my arf´s and foamies.
Well, built a couple of indoor-foamies and a Polaris from scratch as well,
but I´ve started liking the balsabuilding more...

Setup is the "standard-motor" recommended, a 6A Turnigy esc, some cheap 4.7g servo for the elevator.
Tried a HXT500 for the ailerons, but that seemed to weak to handle the bends in the pushrods, so swapped it to an Emax08. AUW with 2S 500 is 187g.
Not maidened yet, mostly due to bad weather and icy snow. Don´t want to rip the covering on the first flight... L

/Jocke

img_2092.jpg

img_2091.jpg

img_2090.jpg

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...