2010 Display Scheme makeover to 2013 Display Scheme

Tim C

I am still running with my new build Tucano which has its own separate thread, however progress in recent weeks has been sketchy!.

Last weeks announcement with the 2013 Display scheme has diverted attention away from the new build for a week or two. I am always a sucker for an excuse to get out the airbrush, and decided to make over my existing Tucano in its Battle of Britain 2010 Display Scheme to the new WWII Desert scheme being used for this years displays.

2013 Display Scheme

Having discovered that Homebase had a 20% off weekend rather sealed the deal, and was soon waiting at the paint mixing counter to get a tin of Middle Stone and Azure Blue mixed (£2.69 a tin). The artists impression rendition of Dark Earth is totally wrong, far too brown!!

azure and mid stone (medium).jpg

A new set of decals ready to go

2010 to 2013 (medium).jpg

The existing finish is Dulux based, the plane fuselage was glassed with B&Q water based matt varnish before being painted, just a case of removing the old decals and a quick rub down before new paint.

In the interests of keeping the weight down, I will strip the wings and tail which were covered in a very light clear Document laminting film before painting, and I will recover them again in the same material.

Edited By Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 04/02/2013 18:53:46

Moving on to the next stage, old film stripped from wings and the fuselage which was glassed with WBPU sanded down.

imag0126.jpg

The film used is a 38micron Document laminating film, its strong and about 1/2 the thickness of Solarfilm. I use a iron temp of 110c to iron it on initially, this is high enough to stick on but with minimal shrink, I then increase the temp to 130c - 140c to shrink out and creases.

imag0127.jpg

30 mins later the wings completed, I then rub the surface with a sctotchbrite pad just to key the surface an it all ready for the Dulux paint

imag0129.jpg

Having painted the plane in its base colours, Azure Blue underside and Middle Stone Topside, paint was applied with a foam mini roller, this is quick, gives an even smooth finish and applies the minumum of paint.

imag0130.jpg

Next step was to mask up the Camoflage to apply the Dasrk Earth, this will be sprayed useing an airbrush.

To mask the plane I use low lack application paper (as used in Vinyl signmaking), stick on a sheet to cover one wing, mark out the camo pattern with a felt tip pen, remove, cut with scapel and reapply.

imag0131.jpg

imag0132.jpg

Woody,

Yes pretty well, but you will need a paint code, I believe they can scan from a suitable sample to create a code, but never tried. I can convert most colours into the nearest matching paint code.

I have a paint chart of common RAF colours as a pdf download, no PRU blue though.

Use the link on the page to download here **LINK**

I did the convesrion from a humbrol paint chart.

The nearest match to Humbrol PRU Blue is paint code NCS S 4050-B10G, its a 98% match to Humbrol PRU blue

Just get the Dulux paint mix operator to enter the code S4050B10G into the mixing machine

Edited By Tim @ ModelMarkings.com on 11/02/2013 09:08:24

Woody thats great great, I recommend you seal the surface with a matt or satin WBPU, I use a thinned down B&Q matt with great effect with a roller or spray. For the satin I recommend using unthinned as you can get a patchy look if your not careful, really depends on the finish your seeking

I am building a tony nijhuis 46" spitfire thats what the paint is for, i am covering it with deluxe materials eze cote and lightweight glass cloth then i was going to airbrush the paint on do you think this will be ok?

also would you be able to supply me some paint masks for the roundels as i want to airbrush these on also?

Thanks again Tim

Woody.

Woody,

Perfect, my Tucano is glass and WBPU. If your spraying thin with ready mixed windsceen wash, the blue stuff from Halfords works great, make the paint flow better, also use a resonable size nozzel. a .2mm is no good, they clog, .5mm is better. A paint heat gun or hairdryer is a useful aid the force dry the paint, just take it slow and easy and you build up a great finish.

PM sent re masks

Still lots of detailing to be completed, but I could not resist getting the main decals onto the plane to see how the prototype set looked.

Here is the bare plane with its airbrushed Dark Earth and Mid Stone Camo, the paint is sealed with matt WBPU.

dsc_0059 (medium).jpg

Next a bit of masking to centre up the wing roundels

dsc_0061 (medium).jpg

Roundels applied

dsc_0062 (medium).jpg

Next the Fin Flash and fuselage markings

dsc_0064 (medium).jpg

Tim your model looks great, i love it.

With regards to the laminating film have you used it on models other than electric?any chance of giving us a rundown on what can and can't be done with this stuff? open structures, fuel and glo resistence and the likes. appreciate anything as as we all know film is getting expensive.

cheers bbc.

I'm also very interested in the use of laminating film. Never heard of that before. I'm guessing its best used over sheet rather than open structures. However, if its half the weight of solarfilm or similar and the price is favourable then its a very interesting option for painted models

There are some long running threads on Doculam on Rcgroups.

I only have some limited experience.

The 38 micron covering is a bit light for large open structures but fine on small light structure or indoor type planes, you need a heavier gauge for more normal structures, it is available in varying thicknesses.

As a light weight film for covering solid structures its fine. I have used it on open structures but really prefer Polyspan and dope as my covering of choice for open painted structures.

It applies and shrinks just like covering film, if anything a bit more heat tolerant.

No experience for Glo use, the film is ok, but paint might be an issue.

Seems for some odd reason that Emulsion type paints stick reasonably well, but some of the more traditional paints do not, I suggest you search for doculam on rcgroups and read up on the experiences there.

I know of one person who successfully covered a 100inch Solent in Doculam and then spray painted it

Thanks for info, Tim, I'll check that out on RCGroups

Just goes to show. You might think there's nothing new under the sun but there are always others out there either innovating, or using techniques we haven't considered. That's part of what makes this such a great hobby smiley

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

As 2013 was the year of the Tucano mass build, 6/7 of our club members have undertaken to build one, Some of which like mine are nearing completion. To finish these models we would like to know where we can purchase the full decals set. i.e. roundels, numbers etc. Be glad of any info as the only ones I've found have not been the correct scale.