Fantasy Formula 1 (Fantasygp.com)

the unmagnificent man

Evening all,

Saudi Arabia this weekend,  and despite a missile attack on a nearby oil facility the GP is going ahead.  So, time for my usual reminder;

Don't forget your predictions!

Both P1 and P2 have been headed by Leclerc from Verstappen.  Hamilton could only manage 9th in P1, but got 5th in P2 behind the Ferraris and Red Bulls.  Vettel again misses the race due to Covid, with his seat at Aston Martin taken by Hulkenberg.

Qualifying is at 5pm UK-time on Saturday, with the race at 6pm after the clocks go forwards overnight. 

Good luck, everyone!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OK,  the Channel 4 coverage is well underway, but continues for another hour or so...  

It's getting late, so I'll publish our results now but I'll make no comment on the race itself until later. 

If anyone is watching the Ch4 race coverage and browsing the forum then you might prefer to not look at the rest of this post!

So the results today look like this;

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 6 7 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 156
2 1 3 GASTON Formula Chris McG 151
3 2 4 Essex Racing Tony Clark 145
4 5 3 Igoronic racing iqon 134
5 12 2 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 134
6 11 0 Pitts Specials john stones 117
7 14 1 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 114
8 9 1 Revers Racing Pete B 110
9 3 1 Torque of the devil Stu 110
10 4 1 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 108
11 8 1 Hans Brake Zoonie 103
12 13 4 PSS Power Flyer 96
13 15 3 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 87
14 10 5 teewrex John Tee 83
15 7 6 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 65

First place goes to Grumpy "I think I need to edit my choices" Gnome with an excellent 156 points.  

Chris takes second place, only 5 points behind with 151.

And our podium is completed by Tony, taking third today with 145 points.

Well done to today's top three!

Somebody who shall remain nameless managed to get distracted and ignored his own reminder and only remembered he hadn't done his predictions after it was too late.  He was "rewarded" with bottom place today.  

After two races the overall table is as follows;

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 1 3 GASTON Formula Chris McG 294
2 2 4 Essex Racing Tony Clark 272
3 3 1 Torque of the devil Stu 263
4 4 1 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 255
5 5 3 Igoronic racing iqon 252
6 6 7 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 241
7 7 6 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 231
8 8 1 Hans Brake Zoonie 225
9 9 1 Revers Racing Pete B 224
10 10 5 teewrex John Tee 223
11 11 0 Pitts Specials john stones 218
12 12 2 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 215
13 13 4 PSS Power Flyer 213
14 14 1 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 192
15 15 3 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 173

Chris takes over top spot with Tony moving up to second and Stu slipping to third.

John S warrants a special mention for being the only person to have remained in the same position in the table today!

Next up is Melbourne in 2 weeks time.  Melbourne was of course the first race to be cancelled due to Covid in 2020, though not until a couple of days before it was due to take place.  So we've not seen a race there since 2019.  Now, don't forget your predictions!  Somebody who shall remain nameless is going to go and do his now!

Congrats to Grumpy G for "editing his choices" properly...

... and to Tony for confirming his.

Got quite acceptable predictions myself... but they could be plain luck, of course.

See you all down under with brand new predictions for John P...

Chris

The first two events  have been real races. Two pretty much evenly matched cars, with two  (at least)very competent drivers. I am hoping that this continues. Just like (more recently) the days of Vettel, no real advantage, real racing.

In general all of the cars have benefitted from the latest regulations, so it seems.

I am guessing that RB are the team up against it, in that they still rely on the Honda engine (badged). Have they the money to pay for continued development? September seems a major date for them.

Thank goodness no car now seems to have a (massive) power advantage, to take them from the back of the grid to the podium, making a mockery of racing.

I also hope that Russel is not required to move over, as his predecessors endured, leading some bad feelings and much more. Also Lando Norris is doing well.

I am hoping for the best, although I expect to the resources of Mercedes to be brought to bare. Yep I have started watching again, at least for the moment

There are some changes made to the SA results...

It mainly concerns the Bonus Prediction with the 'retired' drivers.

Fantsy GP was counting the DNS drivers as being DNF and gave some points accordingly.

They had some 'virulent' reactions on their FB-page with the argument that they asked for the 'retired' drivers and obviously you can't 'retire' if you didn't start in the first place.

So a few of us are getting their 10 points back if they predicted 4-5 retired drivers...

"Errare humanum est", the Romans said...

Chris

Better racing certainly. I do hope Mercedes manage to overcome their porpoising problems although they are not my team having gone for the prancing horse this time. 
I do not think there will be issues with Hamilton and Russel as they are at very different stages of their careers. I expect Hamilton will retire at the end of this year. 

59 minutes ago, Erfolg said:

The first two events  have been real races. Two pretty much evenly matched cars, with two  (at least)very competent drivers. I am hoping that this continues. Just like (more recently) the days of Vettel, no real advantage, real racing.

In general all of the cars have benefitted from the latest regulations, so it seems.

I am guessing that RB are the team up against it, in that they still rely on the Honda engine (badged). Have they the money to pay for continued development? September seems a major date for them.

Thank goodness no car now seems to have a (massive) power advantage, to take them from the back of the grid to the podium, making a mockery of racing.

I also hope that Russel is not required to move over, as his predecessors endured, leading some bad feelings and much more. Also Lando Norris is doing well.

I am hoping for the best, although I expect to the resources of Mercedes to be brought to bare. Yep I have started watching again, at least for the moment

What happens in September Erf ? re Honda R/B.

John

As you probably are aware that on March 1 the turbocharger, fuel and oil specs were frozen. on September 1 st. the energy storage and the electronics will be frozen. Again as you probably remember that in the recent past, Mercedes opposed any developments that were being requested by other teams. It was only the change to 10%. from 5% bio fuel that allowed engine makers to develop their units.

In the case of RB it is still a Honda unit, that RB will now pay the development and build costs. Have they the money?

I guess that in reality they have little option. Their trouble is that in 2026 there is another New F1 engine format, what ever happens in between.

From news reports that broken agreements, with refusal to honour pre race agreements that upset Rosberg to a very high level. I do not want something similar (if true) to happen to Russel. As a one time fan of Mercedes in the 50s Silver Arrows, before they became an old mans car in the public mind, the present revelations have disappointed me.

The Mercedes Museum is great though, to see and surreptitiously touch those cars that inspired.

Edited by Erfolg
  • Like 1