Fantasy Formula 1 (Fantasygp.com)

the unmagnificent man

I thought Honda where still helping (whatever that means) with developing the ICU. Russell is with the big boys now, if he's up to it, he'll have elbows out and pressure Lewis, these young uns are hungry, gonna be a tough year for Lewis.

I couldn't care less about the Merc struggling myself, lets see how they handle tough weekends for a change. ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Erfolg said:

John

As you probably are aware that on March 1 the turbocharger, fuel and oil specs were frozen. on September 1 st. the energy storage and the electronics will be frozen. Again as you probably remember that in the recent past, Mercedes opposed any developments that were being requested by other teams. It was only the change to 10%. from 5% bio fuel that allowed engine makers to develop their units.

In the case of RB it is still a Honda unit, that RB will now pay the development and build costs. Have they the money?

I guess that in reality they have little option. Their trouble is that in 2026 there is another New F1 engine format, what ever happens in between.

From news reports that broken agreements, with refusal to honour pre race agreements that upset Rosberg to a very high level. I do not want something similar (if true) to happen to Russel. As a one time fan of Mercedes in the 50s Silver Arrows, before they became an old mans car in the public mind, the present revelations have disappointed me.

The Mercedes Museum is great though, to see and surreptitiously touch those cars that inspired.

The only reason I am a Merc fan is the way they treated my son at a dealership in Berlin... he and my wife popped in because he was a little fanatical about cars and saw some beasty in the showroom.  My wife told the Merc people why they were there, but they couldn't have been nicer.  They spent half an hour there and my son was allowed (encouraged even) to sit in every car there - even the VERY expensive beasty he'd seen from the road.  They send him on his way with a key ring, a cap, and a pen... and probably a future sale some point down the line.  May have helped that she spoke to them in German.

And my wife has a crush on Toto...... 

• Like 2

John, Honda are helping in that they supplying and maintaining the power train package. The principal short term, published difference, is that they are now paid by RB. 

From reading, the intention was for RB to take over the IP and physical aspects of the engine package, at their facility. That was whilst RB developed the 2026 power train package. Quite an ask, without the experience and infra structure (IMO). 

My impression that historical events that whenever a manufacture pulled out and the engine passed into other hands, the competitiveness slowly ebbed away, of hand I was thinking Mecachrome, although there are a handful more, if I could only remember.

F1 always has been heavily dependant on engines and their developments, Immediately coming to mind was the turbo era, then the Renault pneumatic valve revolution. The big difference was that engine makers quickly became "me to". The difference has been and seems to continue that the power train people are very much restricted to what they can do.

You can see how they have got there, when in the BMW Turbo era, engines could give +1,000 hp for about ten minutes to qualify, which was then swapped out for a about 900 hp race engine and that after every race engines would be stripped down to be rebuilt. I am less than convinced that the present arrangements are much better, from a racing perspective. Public interest probaly would not survive total domination by Ferrari (who have much more charisma, somehow) or Mercedes etc. 

My favourite Mercedes was the road 300 SL, with the gull wing doors. Racing it is the W196, open or closed body versions.

As for best drivers, hmmm, I saw Fangio and Moss at Aintree, to young to really know. Schumacher made his own luck, in part by constant car testing, personally. Prost tended to outthink most, Senna, ruthlessly competitive, Vettel seems to just enjoy racing, with his elbows out when necessary. But Jenson, is the nice guy, who with the right car would be mentioned amongst the best. Nigel, now there was a real heart on sleeve racer, who did win through.

• Like 1

As already mentioned,  there were a few 'adjustments' to the fantasygp scores.  Apologies for the delay in me posting these - I was stuck in a local council/committee meeting for 3 hours last night, in the public gallery, as an item related to access to our model flying site was on the agenda.  It was a positive outcome!

Anyway,  the 'scores on the doors' for Saudi Arabia are now;

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 1 3 GASTON Formula Chris McG 161
2 6 7 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 156
3 2 4 Essex Racing Tony Clark 155
4 5 3 Igoronic racing iqon 134
5 12 2 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 134
6 9 2 Pitts Specials john stones 127
7 3 1 Torque of the devil Stu 120
8 14 1 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 114
9 11 1 Revers Racing Pete B 110
10 8 1 Hans Brake Zoonie 109
11 4 1 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 108
12 13 4 PSS Power Flyer 96
13 15 3 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 89
14 10 5 teewrex John Tee 85
15 7 6 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 67

Chris gains 10 points to step over GG to take top place on Sunday.  Tony also gains 10 points, remaining 3rd on the day but only a point behind 2nd.  Someone who shall remain nameless still took last place!

Overall, the table looks like this;

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 1 3 GASTON Formula Chris McG 304
2 2 4 Essex Racing Tony Clark 282
3 3 1 Torque of the devil Stu 273
4 4 1 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 255
5 5 3 Igoronic racing iqon 252
6 6 7 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 241
7 7 6 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 233
8 8 1 Hans Brake Zoonie 231
9 9 2 Pitts Specials john stones 228
10 10 5 teewrex John Tee 225
11 11 1 Revers Racing Pete B 224
12 12 2 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 215
13 13 4 PSS Power Flyer 213
14 14 1 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 192
15 15 3 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 175

Positions 1 to 8 and 12 to 15 remain unchanged,  but there's a reversal of places 9, 10 and 11.

Looking forward to Melbourne, I can confirm I have placed a set of "banker" predictions already,  which I will change nearer the time.  Unless I forget - in which case I've at least got something in place! 

8 hours ago, John Privett said:

As already mentioned,  there were a few 'adjustments' to the fantasygp scores.  Apologies for the delay in me posting these - I was stuck in a local council/committee meeting for 3 hours last night, in the public gallery, as an item related to access to our model flying site was on the agenda.  It was a positive outcome!

Chris gains 10 points to step over GG to take top place on Sunday.  

I too preferred it before ?

Glad you had good news re flying site!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all!  

It's another weekend,  and we're back in Melbourne after having no race there since 2019.  Time then,  for the customary reminder;

Don't forget your predictions!

Ferrari have headed both the practice sessions, with a Sainz-Leclerc 1, 2 in P1,  and Leclerc topping P2 with Verstappen and Sainz following.  Again Mercedes are struggling, with Hamilton 7th in P1 and 13th in P2 and Russell 12th and 11th.  

Set your alarm clocks,  as qualifying is at 7am UK-time,  with the race an hour earlier on Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right then,  evening all!  It's been a busy day...  Up at 6am to watch the race,  then investigating the water leak in the washing m/c,  flying at noon, then out for a 50km cycle ride.  But by now at least the Channel 4 coverage is well and truly over, so without further delay here are the scores from today;

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 4 7 Revers Racing Pete B 160
2 5 5 teewrex John Tee 151
3 3 2 Igoronic racing iqon 144
4 6 0 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 130
5 2 0 Essex Racing Tony Clark 129
6 10 2 Hans Brake Zoonie 119
7 9 2 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 119
8 1 0 GASTON Formula Chris McG 116
9 8 4 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 114
10 11 2 Pitts Specials john stones 110
11 13 1 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 104
12 12 1 PSS Power Flyer 98
13 7 4 Torque of the devil Stu 96
14 15 0 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 81
15 14 2 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 56

Topping today's chart is a returned-to-form Pete,  with 160 points.

Second today is John Tee on 151 points and third is Iqon on 144.

Well done to today's top 3!

So how does the overall table look tonight?  Let's take a look;

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 1 0 GASTON Formula Chris McG 420
2 2 0 Essex Racing Tony Clark 411
3 3 2 Igoronic racing iqon 396
4 4 7 Revers Racing Pete B 384
5 5 5 teewrex John Tee 376
6 6 0 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 371
7 7 4 Torque of the devil Stu 369
8 8 4 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 369
9 9 2 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 352
10 10 2 Hans Brake Zoonie 350
11 11 2 Pitts Specials john stones 338
12 12 1 PSS Power Flyer 311
13 13 1 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 296
14 14 2 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 271
15 15 0 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 256

No change at the top,  Chris holds on to top spot,  and Tony retains second. 

Iqon's 3rd today moves him up 2 places to third overall,  but a more spectacular mover is Pete,  moving up seven places to 4th.  Almost as spectacular is John T's five place gain to 5th.

These gains must mean a few of us are heading downwards.  And so Stu drops 4 places to 7th,  Glenn drops 4 as well, moving to 8th,  and I drop 2 places to 9th.  Zoonie and John S both also drop 2 places to 10th and 11th respectively.

Flyer gains a place to 12th, and Kev - even without his predictions - moves up a place to 13th.  These two's gains are at the expense of Charles who slips 2 places to 14th.   

So, what's up next?  That will be Imola in two weeks time.  This race includes a Sprint on the Saturday.

Now... special message for Kev;  Don't forget your predictions! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, John Privett said:

Topping today's chart is a returned-to-for Pete,  with 160 points.

Oops,  another typo...  That's obviously meant to read;

Topping today's chart is a returned-to-form Pete,  with 160 points.

And I've past the time limit to do an edit...  (And unlike the old forum there's no sneaky dodge on the new version to get around the edit time limit... ?)

11 hours ago, Kevin Fairgrieve said:

Despite forgetting to do my predictions, I managed to move up a place.

Oh what could have been!

Despite remembering my predictions, I managed to remain in last place!

BUT......I wasn't at the bottom of the race results table.

From little acorns do oak trees grow! ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all!

It's another Grand Prix weekend, this time at Imola for the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.  It's a Sprint-qualifying tomorrow,  so we've already had the qualifying for the qualifying... 

And that seems to have been a rather disrupted session with rain and no fewer than FIVE red flags affecting things.  So Verstappen starts first, ahead of Leclerc with Norris third.  The top 5 places are filled by 5 different teams, with Perez in the second Red Bull only 7th,  and Sainz in the second Ferrari 10th.  Russell in the top Mercedes was 11th with Hamilton 13th.

So, the customary reminder...

The Sprint qualifying session starts at 3:30 pm UK-time tomorrow,  with the race at 2:00 pm on Sunday.

Good luck everyone!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Privett said:

Evening all!

It's another Grand Prix weekend, this time at Imola for the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.  It's a Sprint-qualifying tomorrow,  so we've already had the qualifying for the qualifying... 

And that seems to have been a rather disrupted session with rain and no fewer than FIVE red flags affecting things.  So Verstappen starts first, ahead of Leclerc with Norris third.  The top 5 places are filled by 5 different teams, with Perez in the second Red Bull only 7th,  and Sainz in the second Ferrari 10th.  Russell in the top Mercedes was 11th with Hamilton 13th.

So, the customary reminder...

The Sprint qualifying session starts at 3:30 pm UK-time tomorrow,  with the race at 2:00 pm on Sunday.

Good luck everyone!

?