Fantasy Formula 1 (Fantasygp.com)

the unmagnificent man

John, I suspect that you are probably correct. Many, including myself, just lost interest, as the winner was 99% know before the first wheel rolled.

I still followed the politics and aspects of technology, but watching a race I could not be bothered.

Even arguments over underpants and jewelry, in themselves are amusing. Some responses are childish others belligerent.

I have watched all the channel 4 coverage, and have been pleased. No more (at this time) is one car going from the back row to the podium, because the car was so superior. At present the drivers are making a difference, in addition to the car.

From some comments made it seems some are concerned with so few engine suppliers, that losing one would be a major issue. Perhaps the present technology is proving to be to costly and technologically demanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all!

Barcelona this weekend as F1 returns to Europe. So time for the customary reminder;

Don't forget your predictions!

We've had P1 and P2 today, with LeClerc and Sainz setting the fastest times ahead of Verstappen in P1.  P2 saw Russell and Hamilton getting second and third, in a Ferrari 'sandwich' - LeClerc still fastest, with Sainz 4th and Verstappen 5th.  P3 is at noon (UK time) if you want to wait to do your predictions after that - or better still, do your predictions now and change then - if necessary - after P3. 

Qualifying is at 3pm UK time tomorrow,  with the race an hour earlier on Sunday.

Good luck everyone!

Right then!  I watched the race live, went out for a 74 km bike ride, got something to eat, and now we're just in time for the end of the Channel 4 highlights coverage.  So without any further delay, here is how we all scored today;

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 7 4 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 151
2 12 3 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 146
3 3 0 GASTON Formula Chris McG 140
4 2 0 Igoronic racing iqon 130
5 1 0 Essex Racing Tony Clark 125
6 9 1 PSS Power Flyer 123
7 6 1 Pitts Specials john stones 123
8 4 0 Revers Racing Pete B 114
9 13 0 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 113
10 5 0 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 99
11 11 2 Torque of the devil Stu 98
12 14 2 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 96
13 15 1 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 91
14 8 2 Hans Brake Zoonie 85
15 10 2 teewrex John Tee 83

Topping today's results is Simon with an impressive 151 points.

Second is Charles, only 5 points behind with 146 points.

Third is Chris, just 6 points further back on 140.

Well done to today's top three.  At the other end of the list , there's quite a lot of us with sub-100 scores...

So, after today, here is  how the table now looks;

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 1 0 Essex Racing Tony Clark 853
2 2 0 Igoronic racing iqon 835
3 3 0 GASTON Formula Chris McG 801
4 4 0 Revers Racing Pete B 757
5 5 0 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 735
6 6 1 Pitts Specials john stones 733
7 7 4 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 728
8 8 2 Hans Brake Zoonie 701
9 9 1 PSS Power Flyer 701
10 10 2 teewrex John Tee 692
11 11 2 Torque of the devil Stu 688
12 12 3 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 680
13 13 0 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 664
14 14 2 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 664
15 15 1 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 632

No change to the top five,  but John S moves up a place to 6th, and Simon leaps 4 places up to 7th.  To make room for them Zoonie slips 2 places to 8th.

Ade moves up a position to 9th, with John T ad Stu both dropping 2 places to 10th and 11th respectively.

Charles jumps 3 places to 12th, Kev remains in 13th with the GrumpyGnome having good reason to be grumpy with a 2 place fall today to 14th.  Finally, he who shall remain nameless,  having started the season at the top of the table now finds his true place - at the foot of the table.  Oh well... the only way is up now!

Monaco next weekend.  Will Mercedes improved form hold out there?  Will Ferrari get both cars to the end?  And will Red Bull have sorted out Max's DRS gremlins?

• Like 1

Wahey! ?

I thought to myself this morning "It would be so good if I could manage to win a race again like the good old days......"

Looks like the Fantasy GP fairies were listening!!! ?

This race result was down to my dart board.....I am finding that much better for my predictions than trying to analyse driver and team form......lol

Thanks John ?

• Haha 1

Evening all!

Monaco this weekend and we've had P1 and P2 today.  So before going any further I'll issue the customary reminder;

LeClerc has headed both practice sessions,  and Perez has been the faster of the Red Bulls,  with Ferrari taking 1 & 3 in P1 and RB taking 2 & 4.  P2 saw both Ferraris ahead of both RBs.  Norris has posted 5th fastest in both sessions.  Russell has again posted the best times for Mercedes,  8th in P1 and 6th in P2 with Hamilton being well adrift...

Qualifying is agin at 3pm UK tim on Saturday,  with the race at 2pm on Sunday.

Good luck everybody!

• Like 3

As the Channel 4 coverage should have finished by now,  here are out league results from today;

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 1 0 Essex Racing Tony Clark 163
2 2 0 Igoronic racing iqon 160
3 7 7 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 157
4 3 0 GASTON Formula Chris McG 152
5 5 0 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 146
6 6 0 Pitts Specials john stones 144
7 11 1 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 127
8 4 0 Revers Racing Pete B 126
9 10 0 teewrex John Tee 120
10 8 0 Hans Brake Zoonie 117
11 14 1 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 111
12 12 1 Torque of the devil Stu 111
13 15 0 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 99
14 9 2 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 87
15 13 4 PSS Power Flyer 79

Tops place today is taken by Tony with 163 points.

Just 3 points back on 160, it's Iqon who takes second place.

And a further 3 points back on 157, 'Grumpygnome' takes our final podium place today.

Well done to today's top three.

At the other end of the scale,  3 of us managed to only score in double-digits...

Looking at the overall league positions after today,  we have;

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 1 0 Essex Racing Tony Clark 1016
2 2 0 Igoronic racing iqon 995
3 3 0 GASTON Formula Chris McG 953
4 4 0 Revers Racing Pete B 883
5 5 0 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 881
6 6 0 Pitts Specials john stones 877
7 7 7 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 821
8 8 0 Hans Brake Zoonie 818
9 9 2 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 815
10 10 0 teewrex John Tee 812
11 11 1 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 807
12 12 1 Torque of the devil Stu 799
13 13 4 PSS Power Flyer 780
14 14 1 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 775
15 15 0 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 731

No change n the top 6 places, but Grumpygnome leaps 7 places up to 7th.  Simon slips back 2 places to 9th, and Charles and Stu swap places taking 11th and 12th respectively.

Ade drops 4 places today, down to 13th and Kev drops one place, down to 14th.  

Next up is Azerbaijan in 2 weeks time.  I will be in France that weekend, so I won't see the qualifying as I'm at a wedding on the Saturday.  I'm unlikely to be able to see the race, but should be able to post the results while waiting for my (doubtless delayed) flight back from Bordeaux on Sunday evening.

• Like 2

This season so far seems to be more about who has a Crystal ball about the outcome of the actual race. My team selection is ok, my grid positions have been reasonable but the actual race results have been dogged by major events. Well done to those who still score high points, what is you secret??

It was certainly a chaotic afternoon at Monaco!

The BBC are reporting that Ferrari's protest against the R/Bs pit exit line "were not upheld."  And as for the number of safety cars,  I was wondering about that too.  I predicted 3, and apparently that was correct, though I'm not sure how they got to that number!

• Like 1

Yaay, a good week for me!

Every time I watch a race, the same thoughts occur to me.....

1. It's far too much coming down to luck and strategy/errors rather than driver skill - I know it's a team sport, but I'm pretty sure most people want things decided on the track

2. Too many races are simply high speed processions

3. The new regs have made little difference - still a couple of dominant teams, still little overtaking action

4. The whole safety car issue is a nonsense.  You build up a good lead, safety car arrives, lead is gone... surely they have the technology to restart with the previous 'gaps'.  Being able to work on the car (I have no idea what this work is limited to) also feels wrong.

Regarding this weekend, the race directors seemed full of indecision - the start nonsense, the time it took to penalise Ocon (grossly unfair to him and his team to take such time), the failure to penalise the Red Bull that drove over the yellow pit line (rules is rules after all). Hope they take a look at themselves and get better.

GG (living up to my moniker!)

Some of the suggestions such as a restart, using the positions at the red flag, IMO would increase the lottery aspect.

Race strategy has been a significant part of F1 for some time. It is part of racing.

Monaco has always been a procession for a long, long time. I remember Nigel all over the back of Sennas car. As for safety, I remember crash and its consequence of   Lorenzo Bandini, its important, thankfully the Schumacher accident shows that caution is necessary, the weather was at least partly part of what happened.

The only down side for me was Wolfs comment that there will be team order to Lewis to let George past, yet in an other interview he apparently indicated that George will be required to move over if it is in the teams interest (if the quote is accurate and in context).

A good race for Monaco IMO, it is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Bonsoir a tous de Charente!  (Evening all, from near Bordeaux, France)

A day early,  in case I don't get a chance to post tomorrow!  So, I'll give you the usual reminder;

Obviously there have been no practice sessions yet, so arguably no data to refine our predictions,  but I've done mine anyay. If I get a chance I might 'refine' them later (aka "mess them up!")

Qualifying is on Saturday at 3pm UK time,  or 4pm here in France,  and 6pm in Baku.  The race on Sunday is three hours earlier at noon (UK), 1pm (France, and Central Europe) and 3pm (Baku.)

Bonne chance à tous!

Edited by John Privett

From a quick look at the results so far, there's a fairly familiar look to P1 and P2 today...  Ferrari and Red Bull - in various combinations - again share the top 4 places, with everybody else filling places 5 and beyond.

So, a second reminder;

Enjoy the race, and I'll try to post the results from the airport at Bordeaux whilst waiting for my (probably delayed!) flight home.

Bonsoir mes amis...  Well it could be worse,  my flight is "only" delayed by 2 hours - at the moment.  But that's still 2 and a half hours away, so anything could still happen!

In the meantime, I hope the Ch 4 overage is now coming towards the end.  If not then at least those watching it should be doing exactly that - and not browsing the web at the same time!  In which case, here are our league results from today's race;

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 7 4 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 140
2 1 0 Essex Racing Tony Clark 134
3 3 0 GASTON Formula Chris McG 132
4 10 3 PSS Power Flyer 131
5 8 1 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 126
6 2 0 Igoronic racing iqon 112
7 9 2 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 111
8 4 0 Revers Racing Pete B 105
9 14 0 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 102
10 5 1 Pitts Specials john stones 99
11 11 3 Hans Brake Zoonie 87
12 13 1 Torque of the devil Stu 86
13 15 0 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 83
14 12 2 teewrex John Tee 78
15 6 1 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 73

First place today goes to Charles with 140 points.

Second place goes to Tony with 134 points.

Third today is Chris with 132 points.

Well done to today's top 3!

Let's see how this affects the overall table;

Pos League
Rank
Team Manager Pts
1 1 0 Essex Racing Tony Clark 1150
2 2 0 Igoronic racing iqon 1107
3 3 0 GASTON Formula Chris McG 1085
4 4 0 Revers Racing Pete B 988
5 5 1 Pitts Specials john stones 976
6 6 1 Oyster f1 Glenn Philbrick 954
7 7 4 Team Charles Picd Charles Pic 947
8 8 1 DMFC Racing Team Simon Webb 941
9 9 2 LetsGoTotoLetsGo GrumpyGnome 932
10 10 3 PSS Power Flyer 911
11 11 3 Hans Brake Zoonie 905
12 12 2 teewrex John Tee 890
13 13 1 Torque of the devil Stu 885
14 14 0 Norfolk Flyers Kevin Fairgrieve 877
15 15 0 The JP Specials johnpflyrc 814

There's no change in the top 4, which means that Tony holds on to top place, with Iqon second and Chris still third.

John S steps up to 5th, displacing Glenn to 6th, with Charles jumpling 4 places to 7th.

Simon moves up a place to 8th and GrumpGnome slips 2 to 9th.

Ade jumps 3 places to 10th, but Zoonie drops the same number of places to 11th, with John T dropping 2 places to 12th.

Stu is the final mover today, dropping a place to 13th.  Kev and I remain in the last 2 places!

Canada is up next, next weekend, at the circuit where I have "inside information" - having driven half a lap of it in a hire car with a 30 km/h speed limit an several Stop signs! 

• Like 1

Bottom of the day so much for the red team. Shows much potential but just appeares to be unable to get it all together and with penalties due to failures I think I will be slipping further down the field. I'm sorry guys but I just do not count Verstappen as a champion given the way it was gifted to him last year. My heart is with the Mercedes drivers even though neither are in my team of predictions.

• Like 1

Merci beaucoup, John.

Congrats to Charles and Tony.  ?

A bit surprised that I'm still on the high end of the results sheet.

In a quest for some sun - including feta, ouzo and metaxa - I left for Kos / GR a few weeks ago missing the GPs in Spain and Monaco. 

I had to make some banker predictions for Barcelona but managed to find a greek wifi spot in time for Le Rocher's race. Not top but still acceptable.

With the misfortune of the Italian Reds last WE, I feared a points catastrophy for my ranking but looking at the standings, it seems that quite a lot of forumites were in the same Red boat regarding their team or predictions...

Montréal, nous voici...  ?

Cheers

Chris

Ferrari need another Ross Brawn, plus Todt.

I would say that it was not Verstappen that has been gifted anything. Others have been gifted success with a much faster, more powerful car and officials being pressurised to make the correct judgements.

The idea that the regs should changed in the interest of safety can only be kite flying or a bad joke. The porpoising can be eliminated quite easily, but the car becomes much slower. Also Mercedes has been the team that would not entertain any relaxation of power systems development.

I thought it was a good race, albeit the Ferrari issues. Good to see both Vettel and Alonso doing better, the cars being semi-competitive.

Many of the teams have a problem in that there are only four power systems available. It would be fairer if there was at least one engine that was independent of a team. Remember the days Coventry, Judd, Ford, Ilmor and others supplying engines. You cannot but not notice the team that builds the engines at present are the front runners using that particular unit.