Fantasy Formula 1 (Fantasygp.com)

the unmagnificent man

Totally agree.

Never understand why it's acceptable for a big lead to be completely wiped out because someone crashes...... surely they should restart in the same order, with same gaps..... put them in the pit lane/grid and then start them at the pre-existing intervals. 

Seems every single race is decided/hugely influenced by the safety car.  If they want to add some random element of luck, drawn a name from a hat for a penalty/bonus?

Congrats John Stones for winning the league with a score bigger than Toto Wolff’s blood pressure numbers and worthy mentions also to Chris McG and Tony Clark for second and third. I was hopeful I might snatch a podium place, but like Lewis defending from Max on worn tyres on that final lap, it was ultimately just out of my reach. 

Kudos to John P for running the league in such an accommodating fashion - not only providing such a competent and thorough score update service, but even going the extra mile to finish way down the table in deference to others. You’re a gent John. 

How will history judge that season finale?  It will be spoken of in the same breath as São Paulo 2008 but will be more hotly debated for sure, as whatever your bias you can find a way to argue how it might’ve turned out differently.  The “what ifs” will be endless. I think when the noise dies down it will be seen to have been good for the sport overall, but I could be wrong!

Whatever else comes of it, I hope the FIA team learn some lessons and improve. FOM TV broadcasting the chatter between Masi and the teams has shone a light on some weaknesses this year, and haven’t we missed Charlie Whiting?  Whether everything was done fully correctly or not in the Whiting years, at least he managed to maintain an image of authority and decisiveness.

Thanks all for playing this game, I’ll be back on it next year ✌️

Edited by Charles Pic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If F1 only had similar rule to Indycar which in the event of an accident being cleared up allows them to add a couple of extra laps to end the race actually racing - called a Green, White, Checker finish - it would have been a fairer result.   Same result though!

Adding laps to the end isn't the full answer but it would help. They need to stop drivers from making pit stops whilst the safety car is out. Max would still have negated the 8 seconds lead that Lewis had, but he would have been on the same clapped out tires as Lewis after the restart. Also, unwinding the 4 lapped cars was wrong. They were only between Verstappen and Lewis due to Verstappen's pit stop. It was his choice to pit, so why shouldn't he pay the time and track position penalty? Just adding my twopence worth.

Not a satisfactory end to the season racing. There was no doubt Lewis dominated the race and even though Max was catching him prior to the safety car it was doubtful he could have won. There must be some changes to the rules around safety car incidents as they often negate the efforts of the driver in the race. A new set of cars for next year so will be interesting as who makes the most of the new terms. Thanks to John P for running the league.

A bit of a farcical end of the season for sure, but that 's nearly 'history' already...

... some rules & procedures need to be corrected/amended by the FIA of course. But maybe this is just 'wishful hoping'.

Congrats to John S for 'overflying' this year's Fantasy league and to Tony Clark for completing the podium... and, of course, a big 'many thanks' to John P for his superb admin job during the season.

For those interested, here's my team 2021. Just like John S, no changes at all during the championship >

Max - Gasly - Giovinazzi

Red Bull - McLaren - Alpha Tauri

Hope to see you all - and hopefully even more participants - in 2022...

Enjoy the upcoming festivities

Chris

Edited by McG 6969
  • Like 1

I am now considering the possibility of re-joining the league, if you would will have me.

I have been reading some of the press comments, mainly foreign observations (translations I guess). When some one hits the back of a Mercedes, they are penalised, when a Mercedes hits the back of another car, then the car in front must be at fault. When two cars go of the circuit side by side, the the Mercedes is not at fault, it is the other car that is the problem that must be penalised. The list of Mercedes bias seemed endless.

It seems that Toto Wolf, stands outside the Stewards door, berating the director, it seems that Christen Horner can barely push past. I guess Alfred Neubaur did not dare to exhibit such behaviour, when Mercedes were truly great  When anti-German sentiment was very high.

I am surprised that specific accusations have to be made, even when the FIA suspect or know that something is amiss, as long as scrutineering meets the specifics of the regulations. A past example was the brake bias peddle of Mclaren in the past, when Ferrari introduced an electric activated version, where upon Mclaren submitted a written protest, that both were found to be no compliant.

Hopefully the obscuration particular from Wulf and possibly a lesser extent by Horner, things will be better, by restraining the managers. My main fear is that the Mercedes power unit can mysteriously continue to find more power than any other engine, to take them from last to the podium (at least).

Perhaps revisiting the complexity of the rules would help. Although much of what has transpired is not quite as unusual, as some suggest, other than one news report that Mercedes would not comply with the stewards instructions to relinquish the place . but would contest any penalty in court. Surely that level of intimidation cannot be true?

Not really.

The inconsistencies by the stewards, particularly when related to induvials, is an issue. 

It is not the first time that teams have wanted races stopped early for safety reasons, in some cases arguing for virtual safety cars. Many drivers have seen a commanding lead disappear or intervening car protection evaporate by a decision.

Then there is the briefings  by a couple of team managers with respect others is distasteful.

One suggestion supposedly made that to be mindful of who supplies your engines, is shocking if actually made.

The hipocracy that it is OK for your team to move the other team car over, but not for others. Or another team car to be instructed to make live difficult for a challenging car, what ever the consequences to your race prospects (not sporting, understandable though).

It is only the reviews by some journalists, remind most of us what has previously transpired. I then thought I had forgotten, this or that.

It is for me disappointing that measures intended limit costs, has the perverse opposite result and not for the first time. Or that one team with a advantage vetoes any measures that potentially aid competition, particularly when their advantage is a gulf in performance.

It is for reasons such as this that I stopped watching F1. It is the politics and self interest that spoil so much for me.

Edited by Erfolg

I have never played, or took part in any sport, at anything above village level which has a much, if any, regard for rules, sportsmanship, or any moral code, except don’t get caught. As my PE teacher said, “First loser Fry, is that your size boy, that’s where you want to be on the podium, boy. Change your attitude boy”

Don, yet again there is merit in your comments.

The do not get caught bit, that does not worry many these days. Getting caught, it would seem can be mitigated these days with a counter argument, accusation, or a plain, "I wauz robbed".

I do hope however that there is a tightening up on the lobbying and the rule change does shake the deck up. No idea on the engine situation though, as the present or previous situation ended up with a one engine winner. My farther told me a "Client Works Engine", is never quite the same as the works teams "Works Engine". Even a so called rooky (although extremely talented) driver could have won this year, in a one and first race in F!, partly down to the best engine.

It has been mentioned that there are to many UK Marshalls,  who keep the races safe, at the International level, where a wider pool would be seen as desirable.

I am hoping for a more competitive season in 2020, with less of course influence, by the players.

Who would be an administrator, to many issues, problems etc.

Sorry for being late but Congrats to John ,Chris and Tony. Commisseratiobns to Charles for missing the podium. A very big THANK YOU to John P for all your work this season.

Looking forward to next year and will be back refreshed and hopefully taking part in the top half of the league instead of the lower part.

John

• Like 2

Hopefully the new cars next year will have the desired effect, and we'll see racing where it actually matters where Hamilton and Verstappen start.

No influencing of race director is an excellent move.  

Biggest issue in my mind (as I mentioned earlier) is the safety car deployment ruining races by making all previous laps redundant.

I'm less worried about inconsistency of decisions re overtaking & driving standards.

Banning all interviews with Mr Horner would go down well in my household too (can't find the tongue-in-cheek emoticon I'm afraid...)

Some good and valid points raised... Let's look forward to the coming year and hopefully fewer controversial decisions having race (or championship) changing effects!

As for our league, we're always happy to have new entrants from the forum join us - that's what the league is there for!

Have a great Christmas everyone!

• Like 1

There is a good piece today in the Sunday Telegraph. An "exclusive" by Christian Horner, a full page worth.

Perhaps what surprised me most, I easily anticipated most views, was that Mercedes have had a legal team, including a Barrister at the circuit. You have to be a pretty strong mentally official, to resist them turning up, particularly as part of a challenge. It perhaps explains the incident that happened where Verstappen ends up in hospital, the steward committee decided the accident was totally a Hamilton fault, where there were no penalties applied and Hamilton got 25 points, Verstappen not even an apology. I had seen a few previous comments from others (along similar lines)

Could the refusal to hand back a place a similar type of incident?

Perhaps more disappointing is a supplement piece, reviewing the 2022 changes. In it states that the Mercedes engine advantage will probably continue, as no engine changes are to be allowed. Given that Honda are withdrawing as an engine supplier, is this not an opportunity to take the existing engine, develop it in line with the suspicions that are working for one company, then submit and market as a new power unit by a new entrant engine supplier? Perhaps not completely sporting, yet if it only levels up. I am guessing it is not as easy to do as write.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

If like me, you find the 'interseason' going on way too long, here is a great article by Gary Anderson.

Very well written, it gives an overview of the different teams and introspects their 2022 approach.

For those interested, have an enjoyable read...

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Interesting.

In general the issue of the power unit has been ignored. Much of the Mercedes success has been based on an apparently significant power advantage. This has allowed any of their drivers to go from the back of the grid to many podium positions. Being able to overtake at will.

As max revs is fixed, the other variable is Torque (using Power=2*Pi*N*T), as acceleration is essentially Torque, either the electric motor or the engine or both, has much more than the other packages. On this biases I do not see much changing.

One other point raised the issue of the Pink Mercedes falling foul of regs, where as the original was apparently compliant. Other instances, where one cars flexible wing was OK, yet others are not.

At least trying putting a lid on CFD usage by cost/expenditure is an attempt to limit the financial muscle of some teams. Although I tend to think that most of these measures tend not to limit expenditure, or effective usage as hoped.

Perhaps the political and legal threats, approaches need far more management than as present appears to be the case.

Yet, I live in hope.

• 1 month later...

... the Merc as well, imho, John.

A few aero experts including Gary Anderson were wondering if the Ferrari front & rear parts had been designed by different departments and joined together afterwards as there seems to be a lack of aero cohesion between the different zones...

Also they 're wondering about the purpose of the concave 'bathtub' top of the sidepods combined with the top louvres... dunno...

Anyhow, very different approaches in design philosophy and the different designs don't look like 'a spec car' as was feared with the new regulations.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1