'mystery' brand motors

The one big question I would love to be answered as a newcomer to lekkys. Currently looking for a lipo charger & wattmeter .What a confusing market ? Now that I understand the no's etc. I think I am getting more confused than ever ( there's a lot to be said for ic's after all )But I took on a challenge & by God I' ll get there eventually even though my first effort is an EDF --just to make it more complicated  Phew!Anybody read Chinese?

Eric     The one big question I would love to be answered as a newcomer to lekkys. Currently looking for a lipo charger & wattmeter .What a confusing market ? Now that I understand the no's etc. I think I am getting more confused than ever ( there's a lot to be said for ic's after all )But I took on a challenge & by God I' ll get there eventually even though my first effort is an EDF --just to make it more complicated  Phew!Anybody read Chinese? Maybe I could start an import business if I understood what is from where & the quality/back up service /etc available .We've heard of some ARTFs with little or no glue holding them together ! As you say money spent on expensive items from the point of origin with no valid UK guarantees are a bit dodgy to say the least ?  Must admit I've not come across Mystery but then again I've never bought any thing from E bay & dont bother looking .I'd rather buy from a reputable dealer _pay a bit more & have peace of mind .I always buy locally & receive discount ( if I haggle) & good after sales service Not only that ,I spend ages just browsing  Good fun .  Shame they havn't got what I want at the moment .

We ( most of us ) would like to buy locally, but there are two problems of course.

1) my "local" model shop is a 2hr return trip which costs money and time.

2) Even with my "club discount" he cant come close to the prices on the WWW 

Thats not to say I dont buy stuff from him, but not a lot. If the shop concerned had a half decent website, which they dont, I would buy more.

Personally, I dont worry to much about buying from abroad, most of the electrionic stuff like chargers and so on are either so cheap as to not worry too much if they go duff after a while, or simply...they just dont go wrong really anyway these days. 

Back on thread.... I have bought something called a "mystery" USB dongle, which for those who dont know ( 'mornin Myron ) is an interface for using a standard R/C tr via a USB port on the PC for simulators. 

It is excellent. Value for money is nothing short of incredible, and it was delivered in 3 days - YES 3 DAYS, from Hong Kong. I have recommended it to many people and have never heard a single moan froim the many peeps who purchased. Now, whether this is the same "company " that Eric is on about I dont know, and indeed even if it were, I couldnt say for sure that the other goods were great or naff.

How a bout a link to site in question Eric, then I can tell you more. PM me if you prefer.

Eric, the only Hong Kong shop that I have used is called HKP2PS2, for a speed controller and three lipo batteries they have provided good quality products quickly and cheaply and reply quickly to questions. I would use them again.

The sellers of Mystery products seem to have good feedback but as for all purchases 'Caveat emptor' .

It might be a cheap purchase but if it fails, it is a long way to Hong Kong! Having said that, it might be a good idea to buy one cheap item and judge the quality for yourself, unless anyone else here (not connected to a UK shop!) comes up with any other experiences.

Some of the Hong Kong Shops are now advertising in the UK mags, I've ordered lots of motors, ESC's and Lipo's from a particular shop without fault, in fact some of the Lipo's have proven to have better performance that those costing double !

I do however support my local shop for everything else as the personal element of looking in the box is important to me before purchasing.

As for the numbers on the motors the only ones that are important are the KV, IO, RA and max voltage, you can then work out the rest.

James        Excuse me in my obvious ignorance but could you tell me what IO & RA  mean ? I bet I'm not the only one doesn't know ! Even though i'm not quite the ultimate ignoramus regarding 'lectics or electronics.I'm trying to get "au fait" with the modern terminology & trying to get up to date with it all'

Regards Grumpy ic Myron

Io, is the no-load current. This represents the minimum current required to turn the motor itself without any additional load. It is essentially the amount of the applied current which does not contribute to driving the load. So if you have an Io of 2A and you are running at 20A, effectively only 18A of that is driving the propeller, the other 2A is just turning the intrernals of the motor.

Rm is called the "equivalent resistance" or "terminal resistance" of the motor. This is basically the internal losses inside the motor due to the wiring in the armature. Rm is a constant which represents a loss of power due to imperfect materials. The lost power turns into heat.

I've created a spreaddsheet that calculate everything you need to know from some basic inputs if you contact me I'll send it to you

James

"Some of the Hong Kong Shops are now advertising in the UK mags, I've ordered lots of motors, ESC's and Lipo's from a particular shop without fault, in fact some of the Lipo's have proven to have better performance that those costing double !"

I have used several 'mystery branded motors' all perform good for me, there are many action shots of them on out youtube site (search for NLMFC)

I use a very potent setup in my wot 4 for towing 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello my name as it says is Jason sorry for being so rude.I am kinda new to forums and I never thought of it that way.I have also gotten my mystery charger from china to us. california.It took just over a week to get here 7-8 days.It came in a nice case and was bubble wraped.I have been using it to charge my 7.4v lipo's for my blade cx. and 9.6v nicad for my rc car.I am also doing a cycle of discharge/charge on my old futaba transmitter battery and it seems to be doing good.The charger also came with a temp. sensor that was an optional part that they through in.The only thing I don't like is that I can only charge one battery at a time.The cost after shipping and tax was about $64.00 us. I also had to get a power supply for $20.I have looked around and for what this charger does(6cell li po/li fe) I couldn't beat the price.If you can wait the week for shipping then it is a good buy in my opinion.