Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer

Richard Harris

Whilst I sit and wait for my Calidus spares to come from the East I thought I would make a start on my new design.

For me, pushers are by far my favourite type of autogyro as I think they just look 'right' in the air. I believe they are just as easy to fly as tractor type models but do require a little more forward thinking when designing.

This model has been on the drawing board for a while after Mr Ashby asked me have a go at a pusher design which hopefully maybe published as a freebie plan.

To make life easier I have decided to stick with all the same electrics as used on the Panther so they can be easily transfered on to the new model which is called the 'Revolver'.

I have been happily cutting away a sheet of 3mm lite ply over the last week and started to slot together bits over the weekend.

This is what I have so far, doesnt look a lot but it is the battery mounting plate and is the heart of the build with alot of formers slotting into it. You will also see a plate at the front to which the rudder servo will be mounted.

img_2408.jpg

To give you an idea of what the model will look like I have been experimenting with a smaller similar design. This used  the same train of thought and utilises Fire Fly blades and electrics etc.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 30/05/2013 11:32:18

Edited By Richard Harris on 30/05/2013 11:33:25

I have added a few more formers which slot into place, before I cmmited to glue the boom was trial fitted and checked for alignment. The boom is a length of 6mm x 13mm carbon fibre box section, this seems pretty rigid and is very hard to twist by hand.

img_2413.jpg

Also, I have glued into position the two rear inner triangular strengtheners (R2) which double up as an aid to align F3.

U/C plate assembly is made from 3 pieces of 6mm birch play (I have laminated 3mm thick as I don't have any). Pressed into these are 2 M5 captive nuts. The gap is infact a location slot for the base of the mast, but it will all become a bit mre obvious as the build progresses.

img_2416.jpg

img_2418.jpg

The bulk not only has the motor bolted to it but also the servos mounted into it. I have doubled up this assemby with 3mm lite ply creating a slot for the mast and a bit of extra 'meat' for all the screws to bite into.

img_2419.jpg

At the bottom of this laminated bulk head is a gap, this if for the U/C assembly to be epoxied into which is checked for squareness.

img_2420.jpg

F3 was then glued into postion which slots into the battery plate right at the back and butts up to the 2 triangular doublers (R2).

img_2423.jpg

On to the rear of F3 are glued two 6mm formers (R1), you will note that the grain is infact running vertical as the U/C plate assembly will be mounted at the bottom of these.

img_2425.jpg

Rich

OK, I have progressed a little more this evening with a few bottles of Hobsons finest wink 2

Mast has been again laminated with a 6mm balsa core plus it has a carbon fibre strengthener which is the off cut from the boom. Two birch ply plates are epoxied at the top to creat the female hinge. This was then slid into the pre made bulk head then glued, I also added some triangular balsa section I had kicking around.

img_2427.jpg

Now I had two inner sub assemblies, the front and the rear. These were mated together with epoxy for strength.

img_2430.jpg

img_2431.jpg

Before adding the 6mm balsa fuselage sides I installed a couple of 4mm plastic tubes as guides for the closed loop rudder cables.

img_2432.jpg

Last for tonight was the fuselage sides and a quick check that I have my dimensions right for the 4s 3300 A Lipo.

img_2435.jpg

Rich

Having been called into work at 6am due to a fault on the fire system I was back at hme for 8 twidling my thumbs so had me a couple of hours adding the top decking .

Rear first......

img_2437.jpg

Followed by the front.....whilst I was in and around that area I slotted into place the centre nose section. This will double up as a guide to get the shape correct when I attack it all with the sanding block. Before that I will need to infill each side of it with scrap soft balsa block.

img_2442.jpg

Below is shown the first 3mm thick birch ply nose wheel mounting plate in position, this will be doubled up with another. I have stuck with 3mm as it has a bit of flex in it to follow the slight arc.

img_2445.jpg

And to finish off the early mornings session a soft balsa spine has been added to the top of the front decking sheets (which were sanded flat first).

img_2444.jpg

Rich

After filling in the nose area with soft balsa block and sheeting the underside I had an hour outside this evening with the sanding block. I now have something that ressembles a flying machine...OK , maybe not , more like a shoe!crook

img_2446.jpg

And a snap of the underside, the sheeting was made in segments around the square boom tube. You can also see the exit holes for the rudder closed loop wires as well as open compartment to access the rudder servo.

img_2447.jpg

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 02/06/2013 21:01:52

I made up the tailplane mount this evening, it's a simple affair using TE and triangular section balsa glued together to create the dihederal I wanted. Fin just slots into the top and the tail feathers are slotted and will be glued on final installation. I have also added a couple of finlets too the outer edges, these help a pushers stability when the motor is off.

Tail feathers are very simple and just 6mm depron, easily replacable in 'an event'.

img_2453.jpg

UC has also been fitted and the nose wire bent up and mounted.

img_2449.jpg

Servos to the head are mounted from behind into the bulkhead, a slight bit oof trimming was all that was needed too give them a snug fit.

img_2451.jpg

Coming along nicely, I think I will tackle the head next.

img_2450.jpg

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 03/06/2013 22:24:59

Hi Chas,

I am glad at least someone is looking in, I was beginning to think I was talking to myself which they say is a sign of madness!..sniff sniff!

The HK head will be too small I think for this model, it is in fact larger than an RPG but should turn out roughly the same weight as there is a lot more balsa used rather than lite ply.

The head was made up this afternoon so I will give it all a rub down and it is time to start covering. I will fit all the radio in place and weigh it, from this I can calaculate whether the Panther blades will give the required disc loading.

Rich

Thanks chaps,

I really did think I was wasting my time taking photos.

A slow few days progress due to work commitments, the head is finished and I have started to make some spats which need to be final sanded.

Blades are looking like they may need to be a tad longer than Panthers but the same width and aerofoil. I will try Panthers when the time comes to crash test.

img_2459.jpg

img_2456.jpg

img_2460.jpg

Plenty of clearance between motor and push rods, even with the right offset of the motor.

img_2457.jpg

Spats

img_2461.jpg

And a 'balance things in position' photo.

img_2462.jpg

Rich

David,

Things can always go wrong !!

I have slapped a bit of covering over it going with a RedBull theme. Depron tail feathers were also covered but the iron's temperature was turned down a tad.

Not much left now , just need some wings and add a few finishing touches. Should be good to go this coming weekend if the CG turns out favourable.

Rich

img_2463.jpg

img_2464.jpg

Ah Haa, a modified and easier to build Gemini me thinks???? Having snapped the tail plane on my Gemini a couple of times during transportation I have an idea for a mod. How about making the tail assembly removable and fixing the halfs of the tailplane between to plates and held in my nylon bolts that pinch the Depron? Nice prop by the way!

Tim