Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer

Richard Harris

Who knows .. maybe Rich has been busy. ..Atom Special, trimming days, Atom Bomber, 3 Way, Snap Dragon, work, family, life .. nothing 5 numbers and 2 stars wouldn't sort out one Friday evening I am sure. .. i have been following the Revolver too but am hoping that the Spratom will keep me busy as the Revolver is probably a bit big for me just yet laugh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We had a Gyro get together a few weeks ago and got round to chatting about the Revolver and bringing it to the masses. It has proved to be an excellent flying model but takes up a bit of space fully rigged in the hanger, duralumium seems to be harder to get so I have decided to have a bit of a redesign of which I have been doing over the last week.

A few mods include:

1: Piano wire U/C which is easily removable

2: Hard wood mast (rather than the expensive carbon fibre square tube) which will be removable (in an event wink 2)

3: Hard wood boom for the same reasons as the mast

4: Slightly smaller air frame which will bring down the cost of electrics significantly and ease storage

5: Utilization of the cheap HK head assembly

6: Optional canopy (I am a sucker for a canopy)

I hope to get the sketches completed this week and have had a couple of offers for Beta tested so there are no more excuses.

More soon.

Rich

Hi Richard,

Is the original Revolver still coming to RCM+E pages? Or is it going to be a revised smaller version,if this is the case could you make the plan for bigger and smaller versions? Bigger models do tend to fly better and seen easier however smaller models are easier to store,cheaper and get more in car take up less room! So they both have advantages and disadvantages. This one's been in the pipeline for ages....Oh well it'll be worth the wait as all your models are mate a breath of fresh air!

Cheers

Steve laugh

Watching with interest. Now if it's going to be a little smaller what size blades are anticipated? I bought two pairs of spare blades for the Ajay before AJ Blades stopped production. Would be nice to be able to use them for something else. Isn't it always the way that you buy spares and never need them, yet if you don't you do!

Always good to hear positive comments gents, sometimes you feel like your talking to yourself on these forums.

Steve,

The redesigned version will certainly be submitted if all goes well but ultimately its the editors decision. On paper it doesn't look that much smaller to be honest, IMHO I think its shape is better, but I will let you decide that. As for the larger Revolver I will always keep my options open.

Gavin,

Blade type will depend upon the AUW of the prototype, as a guess I would say Panther size blades but they may be shorter in span so what you have may well be suitable.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Very discrete changes to your original design. I like the way the front of the fuz has been reshaped to incorporate the canopy (making more room to install lipo etc ) and the way you have moved the servos and push rods forward inside the cowl. Good thinking ,looking forward to this design. It's only taken three yearswink

Chris...

• 2 weeks later...

To keep things simple I have stuck with 3-6mm balsa and 3mm lite ply, the tail feathers will be made 6mm depron.

Parts have all been cut out now and I have slotted the skeleton together to check for any errors, at the moment things seem to fit ok. I will progress with the formers at the rear, these are made up of 3mm lite ply laminations that when done will create a mount for the removable mast.

A few snaps of my efforts, the paper templates will be removed from the wood with thinners:

Everything starts with the 6mm thick balsa base.

wp_20160601_001.jpg

wp_20160601_002.jpg

Rudder servo mount is positioned forward and below the CG, this should help with balancing and thrust line positioning.

wp_20160601_004.jpg

Taking ideas from the Atom, the two lower formers will make up a rectangular hole to mount the boom into.

Rich

I have added the two 6mm balsa boom guides B3, triple checking that they are parallel with the fuselage base sides B1. I made a slight error on the plans which is always best to find at this stage, so for those who are beta testing testing this for me the central gap in F4L and the lower part of the bulk head needs to be widened 3mm each side.

wp_20160604_004.jpg

wp_20160604_006.jpg

The hardwood boom (spruce in this case) is an interference fit into the slot created between the two B3's.

The same process is done for the mast mount, in that a slot is created, you will note that the angle is tilted back about 5 degrees. This helps with achieving the nose weight and is the magic number for the rearward tilt neutral position and keeps the head pretty much square to the mast to ease setting up. It is a sandwich of two outer 3mm lite ply sides with an inner 6mm balsa, the balsa grain runs horizontal.

wp_20160604_007.jpg

wp_20160604_010.jpg

Rich

Thanks Gavin, I am enjoying building it.

A little more progress today, the two main formers have been laminated. The bulk head F6 is made up of 3 pieces of 3mm lite ply, on the inner side is a 13mm slot for the mast assembly to locate into. On the rear side is a slot for the 3mm piano wire UC to mount into which will be held in place with flat saddle clamps making it easily removable.

img_9480.jpg

The front former has the head servos mounted into it, I have trimmed and pre drilled the pilot holes for their mounts, a guess would indicate a rough AUW of around 3lbs so I have opted for medium sized servos, Hitec 225MG's in this case.

img_9484.jpg

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 06/06/2016 20:47:33

Still chipping at it,

I have started to add the main formers, F6 slots into the rear of B1 and must be square to it as this is the bulkhead to which the motor will be mounted. Slotted into this is the mast assembly mount, there are also two doublers 'S1' that are added at this stage, F5 was then added.

img_9492.jpg

The nose leg will be captivated within a series of formers, the first two are laminated together and slotted into the front of B1,

img_9502.jpg

img_9503.jpg

Fuselage sides are made from 6mm balsa with 6mm square longrons added to their lower inner edge, the square balsa was left to soak in water for a few hours until pliable enough to follow the curves without breaking. My balsa sides were a little stiffer than I liked and to save a trip up to the model shop these were soaked for 24 hours, they were then attached into position and left to dry.

B2 has a couple of formers slotted into it, this is inserted into the top of the fuselage flush with the top.

img_9515.jpg

img_9522.jpg

Finally for now I have started adding the soft balsa blocking to the top half of the front of the fuselage, the nose block will be done in the same way.

img_9527.jpg

Rich