Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Lovely.

But what could happen is that it could launch straight into a thermal and - unless you've got a DT fitted - you'll never see it again!

This is exactly what happened the Spring before last to a friend's brand new KK Caprice he'd built as a first ever model.  He hadn't bothered to set up the DT just yet as we were only just first helping him sort the CG with very low level launches...!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jonathan M said:

Lovely.

But what could happen is that it could launch straight into a thermal and - unless you've got a DT fitted - you'll never see it again!

This is exactly what happened the Spring before last to a friend's brand new KK Caprice he'd built as a first ever model.  He hadn't bothered to set up the DT just yet as we were only just first helping him sort the CG with very low level launches...!

That is what happens with Free Flight models. One expects it from time to time.  We had a club member who built FF rubber powered models.He lost several.  Even got one or two of them back.

You live with it and enjoy.

3 hours ago, Robin Colbourne said:

Your KK Cadet looks beautiful David.  Isn't it strange how after the years of R/C one gets drawn back to the purity of free flight towline glider?

Thanks Robin. Yes indeed. We have a club indoor session every month and, increasingly, I enjoy the rubber FF far more than steering an R/C ultra micro round in circles.

As for the flyaway, I guess it depends how high you tow 'em? I was aiming to stand still and use a winder to haul it up to 20-30ft, no more. Just as these chaps do at 6.52 in this vid'. What could go wrong? ? (it's a great video by the way, well worth a viewing.) 

• Like 1

David your KK Cadet looks beautiful, I hope it flies as good as it looks. A wind in tow is a good idea I've never heard of that method, certainly save running around like a looney.

On my shelf I have an unstarted KK Dolphin kit that I acquired a few months ago with lots of lovely print wood, just like the good old days! I intend to fit some micro radio and use my 2.4gHz bang bang transmitter that I built using a Phil Green emulator board, roll on spring.

Hi All

I thought you might be interested in what I got up to in September this year. I am well into model planes ️ so this year I went one step further, with a lovely present ? from my wife Sarah. I was presented with two videos after the flight, which Sarah edited the 45 minute experience, adding the running commentary and stills. The end result is all her work - all I did was fly the Spitfire.

We put the video on YouTube. Below ️ is the link. Hope you enjoy ? it.

Merry Christmas, Keith

https://youtu.be/tZf9erEjouA

• Like 3

I took delivery of my Fiat CR42 at our last flying session and my pal Derek has sent me through some nice static shots of the completed model - with the 3D printed bust of Mussolini's son as a pilot figure, the final added scale details and squadron markings. It will be the spring before I fly this marvellous model myself. 50" span (~1/8th scale), weighs 5lb 4oz, for a wing loading of 18.8 oz/sq ft, Powered by a D3548 motor, 11x5.5" APC-E prop and a 4s1p 3600mah Lipo .

fiatcr42finished3.thumb.jpg.f30f833d287cf7edd6147cd33ab9fb17.jpgfiatcr42finished2.thumb.jpg.13b3eee5ddd6302ec3110b53bb42b9a2.jpgfiatcr42finished.thumb.jpg.50364684b8282f72273adcb7ffab5991.jpg

• Like 15

This is new to me but it was built by a Club mate who had to give up flying.  I re-engined it with an OS61FX but that struggled to pull the rather heavy airframe around big manoeuvres.  It now has an OS 91FX in it - same crankcase so dead easy upgrade.  Still running in the engine so probably quite a bit more power to come.  Vertical performance is now much better but will no doubt improve as the engine loosens up.  It really needs a new cowl as the pitts silencer it came with required most of the bottom of the cowl removed.  There are now so many holes in the top to accommodate 3 different needle valves as well.  

20211218_111505.thumb.jpg.47008bf8cf206da7eba45d00a73fa164.jpg

• Like 8

I hope I'm posting this correctly, I've only posted once or twice before). 

I recently finished this Magnatilla and had a successful maiden a couple of weeks back. It was a lovely calm day and after only a little bit of trimming the model flew very nicely - it does tend to climb a little under throttle, but it's quite manageable (even for a relative newbie like me). 

It's an electric set up (4s3300mAh) - so I thought I'd include an image of the battery location - all recommended and supplied by George at 4 max.

.a9b87b08-26f6-4804-915a-68f7afd9ed60.thumb.JPG.1e81a2f10d3034f1e0b650d7b9c11c6c.JPGeadea448-4cc6-4546-96ae-148b36075160.thumb.JPG.176299999b4b32abbee8adf4173f86c9.JPGIMG_7747.thumb.jpg.bb374443b32972cd52b79a22cbe3eeaa.jpgIMG_7748.thumb.jpg.b11b01a3be024238012998c8a844a1c5.jpgIMG_7750.thumb.jpg.04634f9fea0a849fa1e2e67dcaf6fc71.jpg 4m

Edited by Tim Eastgate
  • Like 13

That is really nice!  I especially like the battery installation and the dummy engine.

Climbing under power is normal. It has been  said that speed is controlled by the elevator and rate of climb with the throttle. If one applies more power the aircraft will climb To go faster you then apply down elevator to keep the nose level.

Dragged that information out of long ago memories

Looks just as good in “the wood” as it does in the photos. Tim’s first build was one of your Ohmens Peter, as part of a mass build project at our club over the winter before Covid struck and he was a fast learner who has got the building bug thanks to it. 

A gentle progression into a climb with added power is a normal characteristic of most trainer and scale type designs but unsuitable thrust lines can affect this. If pitch change is excessive, the first thing to check is that the downthrust (if any) shown on the plan is correct. You can either correct any error or use a throttle to elevator mix (in most transmitters) to adjust the behaviour. 

1 hour ago, Peter Miller said:

That is really nice!  I especially like the battery installation and the dummy engine.

Climbing under power is normal. It has been  said that speed is controlled by the elevator and rate of climb with the throttle. If one applies more power the aircraft will climb To go faster you then apply down elevator to keep the nose level.

Thanks for your reply, Peter. When I was in the process of sorting out the battery location, I was fretting a little about how it might affect the CoG and I discussed this with a club mate who is a very experienced model builder. In essence, his advice was to fit the battery and sort the CoG later - so I did, and by lucky chance it happens to be spot on and I haven't had to add any weight at all :-).

Climbing under power feels a little disconcerting to me (as a relative newcomer) as the model is doing something I haven't asked it too, eg applied elevator - although I realise I have asked it to climb by adding power it doesn't feel like a direct input in the same way (if that makes sense). I'm gradually learning too cope with these things and it's definitely better than diving under power.

ps

The dummy engine was printed by a club mate, as were the decals and the pilot - thanks to both for their help.

Edited by Tim Eastgate

16 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Looks just as good in “the wood” as it does in the photos. Tim’s first build was one of your Ohmens Peter, as part of a mass build project at our club over the winter before Covid struck and he was a fast learner who has got the building bug thanks to it. 

A gentle progression into a climb with added power is a normal characteristic of most trainer and scale type designs but unsuitable thrust lines can affect this. If pitch change is excessive, the first thing to check is that the downthrust (if any) shown on the plan is correct. You can either correct any error or use a throttle to elevator mix (in most transmitters) to adjust the behaviour. 

Thanks Martin - the climbing under power isn't outrageous, but I think I might have a 'play' with a throttle to elevator mix to see if it can be fixed.

1 hour ago, Peter Miller said:

Peter,

Tim has just been spoilt with somebody else's designs in the past (Ohmen + Grumpy Tigercub) with superb manners...although I have heard that there is a quite a range to choose from ? so could be kept busy, then again he could always try "Insanity" for a real challenge, or one of my builds?

PS I have experienced a couple of models that pitch down under power up (low slow pass with full up elevator and the hedge looming up) is definitely less pleasurable.