Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

So a bit of a retro vibe with this one. About 4 years ago I got hold of an incomplete Dave Smith Models Excelsior 150 kit. It was missing some wood, the cowl annoyingly, but most of it was there, and I paid £45. My chief engineer and mentor (old man) decided we would make a few changes. So we (he) swapped the slab tail group, for a built up one, lightening holes down the back end, which enabled us to move the elevator servo half way down the back end, and have a relatively short carbon pushrod, inboard, concealed onto a braised horn on the elevator joiner, (very neat). We also moved the rudder servo to the back end in a turret position, which again enabled a much shorter closed loop assembly. The chair leg mahogany undercart mounts in the wings were binned, and replaced with foam and the undercart was moved up onto the fus. Skip rat (old man) with bulkhead template in pocket, managed to rummage through various boxes at Weston park and source a reasonable looking cowl for a quid. In the meantime I had acquired a Rossi 53, yes the least desirable of their range I understand, as it is supposedly slightly long strong in an attempt to be quieter for the European market I read somewhere. Anyhow given the notorious mid range Rossi throttling, I have combined it with a Weston throttle pipe, spinning a bolly 11.75x7. The colour scheme was unashamedly a mixture of stolen ideas off the web from far more creative folk than me… covering is 90% hobbyking film, savox and hitec digi’s and AUW of 5lb 9oz. I think it looks alright, hope it flys ok.

excelsior mid front.jpg

excelsior 2.jpg

excelsior 6.jpg

excelsior top view.jpg

excelsior 7.jpg

excelsior 5.jpg

• Like 8

Looks lovely.   Flew mine yesterday, Saito 100 which was having fits of the vapours so the cowl was on and off all day.   I'm glad I can't load pics as mine is very scruffy, was a bit messy when I acquired it from an ex-member's estate auction and only really bought it for the bnib Saito 82 that came with it.   Now, it's my go-to glow F3A and would fly on rails had the rails not been distorted.   Great plane.   Have a fullsize Excelsior with a snarling Yamada in, yet to maiden following a softmount rebuild.

Good luck with the maiden.

BTC

2 hours ago, Peter Christy said:

Finally got to properly test fly the "Ghost Rider" - complete with 2.4 GHz Galloping Ghost radio! ?

--

Pete

My word Pete, having read about GG when it was the latest topic, I'd never ever seen a GG flight.  That was quite amazing as regards the degree and smoothness of control.  A great watch and a great landing!

New to me anyway, 1/4 scale L4 Cub from Balsa USA. I believe Cyril (the pilot) started assembly work in about 1979 and was passed on a couple of times before being flown in 2020. I have replaced some of the electrics and worked out how onboard glow works, but clearly not sorted the smooth running of the G30 yet. It seemed to be running ok on the ground without the glow on although I left it on for the maiden (switches off over 1/4 throttle anyway).

More work to do, but I must say its a very nice flyer and good fun getting that rudder practice in ?

image.thumb.png.2ec89eb7299e934bb94e0ad9ab1d5da2.png

Sorry Cyril was not in the cockpit at the time of the photo shoot, he was in fact in the bathroom fitting his cycle clips in readiness for my first flight. If you look closely he seems to be holding his arm up and making a gesture! 

• Like 5