Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Laydeeez and Genulmen, I give you....

Regianne RE2005

The latest product from the G Davies/ E Robson/ R Wills skunkworks, a foamboard scratch build.

Built using a mix of FliteTest Maker Foam and Hobby craft foam board with a small amount of ply, lightply and balsa. It's a full-fat flaps and retracts warbird at 55" span.I had hoped to fly it on my little 2200 3S packs, but I've been guilty of a heavy back end, which is a repeating theme in my life... Had I got away with the 3S packs, it would have been 3lb 10 Oz ready to fly. Sadly, I will need to use big 4S packs to get the thing to balance, so will now tip the scales just over 4lb. Hardly porky though.

Some scale liberties have been taken with the undercarriage position in order to make a practical model. Our strip is bumpy and doesn't suit tall, narrow undercarriages. The positions are cribbed directly from My (originally Peter's) Ballerina. That copes perfectly with the strip, so is a great role (roll) model.

It's covered in brown paper and PVA, although the tail feathers are not covered at all, just painted directly onto the hobbycraft board. It's then sprayed with watered down emulsion paint. It's a really cheap build. I reckon the material cost in the finished and painted airframe is no more than £25. 

If I can satisfy myself that everything is ok, I will maiden her tomorrow...

Graham

re2005 130522 01.jpg

re2005 130522 02.jpg

re2005 130522 03.jpg

re2005 130522 04.jpg

re2005 130522 05.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Well done Graham, who needs balsa when you can make something like that for a fraction of the price. 

My foamboard and maker foam  BF110 has had 85 flights now and I am flying it on Sunday for the BMFA 100, if it had not been so windy this week it would have been its 100 flight. Not enough batteries to do 14 flights tomorrow.

12 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

Well done Graham, who needs balsa when you can make something like that for a fraction of the price. 

My foamboard and maker foam  BF110 has had 85 flights now and I am flying it on Sunday for the BMFA 100, if it had not been so windy this week it would have been its 100 flight. Not enough batteries to do 14 flights tomorrow.

This foamboard stuff has changed my life!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Nice in the air Graham, are you still on 35 mhz ?.

Thanks Paul,

No, 2.4GHz. 

There could be a number of potential causes, but I suspect the receiver is duff. I had am issue with another receiver which has since been 'retired'. That issue was total loss of control. This one was progressively slow/ soft response (aileron) with the occasional spurious control surface movement (up elevator). There may be all manner of causes, which are very difficult to prove or disprove now. But twice is becoming a habit, and if I'm honest, Ive lost my confidence in the gear. It's all quite old so time to modernise, I think...

Great looking model Graham. Respect!

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate rapid arrival due to control issues. As it is the second time this has happened it is likely a common cause? Did you use the same motor ESC in both models or if a separate RX battery, the same battery?

Whether a complete loss of control or slow servos with glitching, both could point to a problem with the power supply with Rx and servos. Two duff Rx? Probably not very likely.
Just my 2p worth.

Edited by Piers Bowlan