Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Kyosho P-51D just about ready to go, just the decals on the cowl and the dummy exhaust stacks to fit. Have had this one sitting in the box 80% finished since 2004 when I did the electrification. AXI 4120/18, 5s1p 5000mah G-power Lipos, 4 max 80amp ESC, APC-E 13x10" prop. I've given the Mustang a going over with the heat gun since taking this picture this morning - that pre-printed sticky back plastic covering doesn't half wrinkle when it;'s warm.

Prompted to finish her off by comments on the recent Warbirds Replicas thread on here, extolling the flyabilioty of the Kyosho SQS ARTF warbirds.

kyosho p51.jpeg

This was rescued off a club member a week or two back, covering was stripped off and I renovated the structure which was in bad shape. I then converted it to electric power before recovering, just the servos and push rods to install and its ready for a re maiden. One of my earliest memories was my dad having one of these, if it goes ok I will grab some footage.

I covered this in HK covering which is the first time I have used it, have to to say I am impressed !

20200603_203056.jpg

Hi Dave,

I have used a Turnigy Aerodrive D3530/14 which is 1100KV, with a 40 amp ESC. I have had it on the meter and with a 11 x 5.5 prop fitted its puling around 200watts/20amps (ish), but this is off a very old 3s Nanotech. There seems plenty of thrust so I am hoping I can prop it down when I get it up the field.

Have been advised off a vintage FB group to increase the rudder area, especially if its going to be flown in the wind which I will do before venturing out.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 04/06/2020 20:11:23

It flies nicely Ken but like any big vintage model, it's not the sort of thing to fly on a breezy day. I flew it twice yeaterday with the engine barely over tick over most of the time.It was very economical on fuel. I'm going to try a finer pitched propeller on Wednesday but something like an OS 52FS would fly it I'm sure.

Nice job David, looks like a lot of solatex was needed!

My Galahad has was flown over the weekend and I did manage to get some footage, though it was late on so the light isn't great, I tried to keep it in as close as I dare.

It does go well and there is more than enough power, my only issue is it is reluctant to turn right under power. So I will prop it down as I'm guessing I'm fighting the torque reaction from the prop, I did add some right thrust which helped but I didn't feel in control at times.

With this and the new larger rudder I'm hoping to have better results, weather is looking more promising again so hope to get out with it later in the week all being well.

This is my recently finished depron MBB-Rockwell X-31 vectored thrust 70mm EDF.

Built from a Steve Shumate plan, it's the second one I've made as the first one I built two years ago was jinxed with a faulty EDF motor, and was written off at the start of only it's 6th flight following a particularly bad hand launch by an over confident 'newbie'.

This one hasn't had its maiden yet, and will hopefully survive for longer than the first.

Note the vector-thrust vanes at the back. Unfortunately I had just overcome the motor problems with the first, and carried out the initial trimming flights when it was written off, so I never got a chance to explore the thrust vectoring capabilities.

img_3656.jpg

img_3657.jpg

Nice MBB-Rockwell X-31 you have there, best of luck with the maiden. Quick question, is the canard fixed or does it move? If so what have you got in mixed into?

Bob I like your Panic and from just finishing and flying my translucent Extra Slim Twin can you comment on recognising the orientation of yours as mine can be really hard with sun shining through it?

Posted by Chris Walby on 08/06/2020 17:52:20:

Nice MBB-Rockwell X-31 you have there, best of luck with the maiden. Quick question, is the canard fixed or does it move? If so what have you got in mixed into?

Thanks Chris.

The canards move on their own servo. It's all on quite a complicated mix on my DX8 actually;
The canards are on the primary elevator channel, with an elevator to flap mix for the elevons, and an elevator to gear mix to drive the elevation thrust vane. This (the el to gear mix) allows the vectoring to be switched on/off during flight with the flight mode switch if required.

The yaw vane is mechanically slaved off the rudder. You can't switch that off, but then you don't have to use the rudder to fly.

img_3697.jpg

img_3660.jpg

img_3659.jpg

You will love flying that, chuck a bucket of water on the grass and it will go.

Long ago I had a 60 powered version as part of a team of six, a very easy model to fly although landing on water was a challenge. Four point rolls better than most aerobatic designs.

Mine met its demise when flying for a TV crew. Three of us were skimming the lake but they kept shouting "lower, lower" and I thought they meant me. Water is definitely as hard as concrete when you hit it.