Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Cymaz,

I have not measured the CG of the plane without the floats, but I would say the floats probably move the CG forward a bit. The CG of the plane plus floats is about half-way along the floats, but there is quite a lot more bulk in the bow end of the floats than the stern.

I can't comment on the differences in flight characteristics of the plane with or without floats, because I have not yet flown the plane, and certainly have not the slightest intention of flying it without floats! But with the one plane that I have had that I have flown with and without floats, it is likely the changes would be pretty great. Less weight: lower wing loading; less drag: better flying performance; CG higher, so different turning moment relative to the thrust line. etc etc

I think the fullsize S6b without the floats would probably have flown at about 440 to 450 miles per hour, but all rather hypothetical, because the unbraced wing would have had to have been made stronger and heavier, and the fuel would have to have been accommodated somewhere. The Rolls Royce R in 1931 was developing about the same power as the RR Griffon in the latest models of Spitfire.

Vladimir's models Sprite Thermal E. Bought Rx ready with 3 lipos for 200 Euros. Lipos dead so final price paid was 150 Euros. Bargain of the century I think. Model support/storage: reused styrofoam packing - free !

Post maiden Photos from last weekend.

sprite 1.jpg

sprite 2.jpg

Edited By Steve Colman on 18/06/2020 14:45:03

Two models maidened recently.

post maiden.jpg

The Gnat was built just before lockdown and the maiden flight had to wait until after, but there is a dedicated thread for the TN Gnat.

The other model is my lockdown build project, and is a 66% sized version of an early electric model called Squert designed by Dereck Woodward in 1987 (an Outerzone plan).

Apart from the reduction in size, I also changed the aerofoil from flat bottomed to symetrical and added a rudder. Modern radio gear, a small brushless motor, and a 2s 300mAh Lipo, helped me keep the all up weight to 146gms (5.15oz) for the 25" span model.

The maiden flight with a 5x3 prop went OK but was a little underpowered at 20 watts peak (62 watts/lb). The second flight with a 4.5x4 prop upped the power to 26 watts (81 watts/lb) and allowed a more aerobatic flight of over 5 minutes, and still only used 155 mAh.

There is plenty of room for development, and a 5x4.3 prop is on order, so I hope a lot more fun is ahead.

Dick

Posted by John Stainforth on 22/06/2020 22:50:27:

Beautiful plane, Eric. What is the size, what is the powerplant?

Hi John it is 60" wing span and has a Boost 60 motor with an 80 amp ESC. with a 5s 5000 lipo. First flight it took off dead straight on half throttle the only problem was it run out of down trim so I had to hold down to keep it level.

Total weight with battery is 8.5 lb.

Cheers Eric.

So lockdown like so many has prompted me to pick-up aeromodelling again. Well it never really left me I just dip in and out depending on life.

Mostly I flew Slope gliders in and around West Yorks but dropped away in 2014.

I am also known to race model yachts occasionally (last time 2015) so anything that involves making things is what I like.

Anyway this is not really new but has been re-born and looks like new.

After residing in the loft since circa 1985. It has been a mini project whilst I waited for a batch of balsa to be delivered (seems everyone is at it!). Good for the Model trade so there are good things about the virus.

Here is my refurbished Keil Kraft Mini Super. It required a new fin and rudder (enlarged about 25%), lots and lots of old dry glue joints remaking, spliced longrons and fresh glazing. Essentially it became a complete strip down removing old solartex, fuel tank and Enya 0.09 motor. In has gone a Brushless motor ESC new nose cowl, battery hatch, and lipo. Plus I've added new 2.4 GHz radio.

I decided to make a period colour scheme from the 1960's its taken from a picture you can find on google reference to Ernie Webster. I think its possibly from around the year the kit and I came into existance 1965.

Alas I dont have any Keil Kraft decals although the wheels are genuine KK items including the KK lettering.

All up weight has come out at a shade under 2 1/2 Lbs and the CG is spot on (without resorting to any lead) to the outerzone Boddo Mini Super plan that Keil Kraft widened and kitted commercially.

I Just need to rejoin a local RC club and we're ready to get air under the wings.

kk_mini_super.jpg

kk_mini_super_2.jpg

1c690c58-2461-4a6a-b552-5b7dbdfc66d9.jpeg

Finally finished, yet to fly. Final AUW 50oz with 2200 Lipo.

Some 60 individual 3d printed parts, 33 to make the dummy motor. Covering is Polyspan tissue, floor varnish and dulux Cub yellow. Pilot figure is modded 3/4 glider pilot from thingiverse with blue foam to pad him out, only 20gm painted. Wheels from a fun Cub.