Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Not being confrontational but they all look stik-ish a proven design easy to fly and durable, have a lot of fun with my electro stik no dihedral so ya gotta fly it but stable at all flight speeds and a lot of fun, it is my chuck it in the car and go for a quick fix model..

They all look good guys and i'm sure they will all perform very well..

Recently acquired an unstarted Airsail Chipmunk kit from the local auction website. A fun build, if a little old school and over engineered in places. I understand the rights to these went to the UK, i do hope they go back into production.

Converted to electric, (made the whole canopy removable for a battery hatch), and raked the u/c forward a bit. Fuse is glassed, wing covered in ceconite. Used the included placcy cowl as a plug and made a fibreglass copy. Otherwise as per plan, except for a heap of small bits and pieces of wood left over as the instructions were a bit unclear in detail. Is in a "based on" scheme, but isn't a copy of anything specific.

Will be a while before it flies as i'm a bit out of practice with scale stuff.

20200823_164143.jpg

David Davis has relatively recently built an Uproar.

A bit bigger than my model which is only 52" span, The section on my wing is what it is, I guess flat bottomed to semi symmetrical type. The CO model is a symmetrical section it would appear. In CO case designed to do a specific job, that is aerobatics.

Being a philistine, my creation is sized to a 2200 Lipo, in cross section and an electric motor that was spare (that I thought would do).

I have a pile of old Glider Veneered foam blanks, in the garage, now what can I do with them?indecision

That's a very nice Stolp Starllet, Richard. Much better than the 1/3 scale one I bought on eBay for not much money and got flying with a Zenoah 26. Sadly it met its end at one of the Castle Howard fly-ins when, for some reason it became very hard to control. No great loss as it as it had only cost me time (mostly) and the engine went in something else.

pict0022.jpg

Geoff

Posted by Tony Richardson on 27/08/2020 02:13:38:

Now thats a pretty aiirplane Richard, what are the specs?

Hi Tony, the wingspan is 73 inches and overall length is 50 inches. I am not sure what the weight should be as there was no indication on the plan, however having built a lot of models and building quite light it feels about right. I will weigh it at some point.  The Cof G came out about 3/4  of an inch forward from as stated on the plan  which should be OK. I realise I spelt it incorrectly as a Stop Starlet and not a Stolp Starlet as should be

Edited By Richard Acland on 27/08/2020 17:21:55

Double size Tomboy posing with another British classic! I hope to maiden it over the next few days.

completed job (2).jpg

completed job (1).jpg

There's a bit of history associated with this model which I've summarised below for those who are interested.

My Uncle Geoff who married one of my mother's four sisters taught me how to build model aeroplanes in 1959 when I was eleven years old. He was to die of cancer within two or three years. He was thiry-six IIRC. Before he died he gave me all of his models. These included a Tomboy, a 36" wingspan free flight model intended for beginners, and a the fuselage of a double sized Tomboy. He was a draftsman and had drawn up the plan himself. Spool on several decades past my sex'n'drugs'n'rock'n'roll years and I built the rest of the model and installed a radio, picture below. I finished it in the same colours as his original little Tomboy. The fuselage soon started to disintegrate so I built a second using cyano for all of the joints. I was a very inexperienced pilot in those days and somehow got the model into a spiral dive. When it hit the ground I was left with a big yellow bag of balsa sticks! I built a third fuselage, landed the model in a tree and broke its back. I have kept the wing and tail for over twenty years in a long cardboard box which I brought over from England together with other "refurb projects!"

We'll see if I have any more luck with the fourth fuselage!

This is the model in its first incarnation alongside my much younger self! wink

double sized tomboy.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 28/08/2020 10:54:31

Remember April 1980? The Iranian Embassy siege was reaching a conclusion, thanks to the intervention of the SAS, and I was starting to cut the first wing ribs of a 104" Slingsby T31. More than forty years later (don't ask), I have finally manage to complete a successful maiden at the Cat & Fiddle site next to the Buxton to Macclesfield road. This is a great site that works well with winds from SW to NW and has a massive, flat landing area with soft grass and no rocks. The model flew very much like the full size; stable but responsive to elevator and very sluggish to aileron even with coupled rudder. Spoilers weren't needed for landing, but I checked them out during the flight and they seem produce a gentle nose down pitch and height loss without the speed increasing.

Very pleased with the end result, and I can't understand why I didn't fly it sooner!

T31.jpeg

T31.jpeg

Is it really that long ago? We went to the boat show presumably in early 1981 and walked past the Iranian embassy building which still bore the scars.

Nice model btw. I've both cycled and driven over the Cat & Fiddle and noticed people flying gliders but it was long before I had any interest.

Geoff

Ah Trevor really enjoyed the story to the build.

The Cat and Fiddle, how I remember the ride back down into Mac, I was always Lampe Rouge, tail end Charlie on the club run, as we hurtled (on push bikes) to certain doom, at +100 mph, or that how it seemed. The memory of coming across a motor bike, buried in a stone wall, with I/we understood the rider being dead.

I have heard of others flying from the area, from the heather, with just gently sloping hillsides, I guess it is the shear height and the general continuous persistence of wind at that altitude?

I believe there was at least one motor glider based on the type T29 or was it a T31 which numerically seems a better Bet?

I have a plan for a small T31, which I have considered converting to a small electric motor glider, it is models such as yours, the lights the embers of passing thoughts.

Edited By Erfolg on 04/09/2020 11:03:48

Jonathan, I also soloed with the ATC at Sealand in the late sixties. The model is a plan build from a 1974 Aeromodeller? article. I've decorated mine as XA284 which I did most of my flying on. It still exist in civilian ownership , but has been converted to a single seat T31M, the motorised variant mentioned by Erf.