Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

I had a Rutan Cozy design published in Ken Sheppard`s old mag., Model Flyer or something like that. It was made with a hollow 2mm Depron wing and a 3mm Depron crucifix fus. and sported drag rudders moving outwards only as per the full size. Flew very well and was quite aerobatic too.

This was a test model for a 1/4 scale i/c version but it refused to lift, probably due to lack of power, and now languishes in the loft. There are suitable electric power units available nowadays but I very much doubt if I shall bother.

I set my CG with the model upright because I put some rather heavy 4" wheels on it, but to be honest, as long as it's somewhere between 25% and the main spar, it'll be fine as a starting point.

If you are using a lightish motor, you'll probably need to wiggle the lipo forward as much as possible as the front is lighter on the electric version I believe (abs cowl?). Either that or use a heavier pack.

The only models I balance inverted are low wing ones and some biplanes.

HTH

The SLEC (Precedent) Funfly is a great flying model. I had a couple and I passed my A with the first.

They are quite weak in the middle because of the mid-wing design. Mine had a ST34 engine and when the model blew off my stand it fell on one wing tip. There was enough inertia in the engine weight to snap the fuselage just around the wing seat where it is weakest. Quite an easy repair and I reinforced the fuselage with carbon tow around the wing seat.

Yours looks very nice, Matt and it's a good choice to get you back in the groove.

Can't recall any CoG issues with either of mine and I originally had an Irving Q40 in the first. I replaced with the ST34 because it was a bit too much for a beginner. An electric version may have problems in that regard because the electric motor is lighter than an equivalent glow engine.

Geoff

That's a beautiful model of an incredibly ugly prototype, Alan

I can see that llateral balance might be a issue but it must have been on the full size. I really can't see the thinking behind the unusual layout and what advantages it might offer that led to its design. Is that a pusher propped engine at the rear of the cockpit?

Geoff

Hi Paul

Zirolli plan from outerzone, modified to 2 part wing, main fuselage also modified from sheet slabs to formers built on a mandrel and planked to keep it true. Also lengthened to give more scale appearance. Sc 52fs and retracts fitted. Most mods done on the back of a fag packet except the fuselage formers had a go a CAD for thosecrook. Some pictures in the album but not many. Used Sadolin PV 67 satin for fuel proofing, only took 50ml +10% catalyst+10% thinners brushed on, did whole model with some spare. That's from a ltr tin so plenty left for 2 more airframes that need fuel proofing.

Alan p

Hi All,

Finally finished my P40 which I started in 2013 and dumped in the attic after a mishap with some dope. Back in April this year I felt that I had to finish it off, so after carrying out repairs to the warped wings and replacing the pushrods for servos for the ailerons. Finished in RAF colours and using Neville Duke's markings. Powered by an OS .61FX with the Top Flight in-cowl silencer, Robart twist and turn air up air down retracts.

dsc08287a.jpg

dsc08284a.jpg

dsc08290a.jpg

I built this Liddle Stik from a free plan downlooaded from Aerofred earlier this year just after the lockdown had started but was able to test fly it before things got really serious (from my POV, anyway). I've not been flying for months, sadly.

In a fit of whimsy I decided to decorate it All done with a bit of a google search for images, Paint and Publisher and some clear sticky back decal paper.

complete 6.jpg

complete 8.jpg

... and a close up of the logo.

wing logo.jpg

I'll offer it as a solution to the Covid 19 pandemic, perhaps ... or perhaps not

Geoff