Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Acrowot, not new but completely refurbished. I built this from the original Chris Foss kit in 1986 with the then brand new Laser 75. It has languished in my loft for nearly 30 years. The blue Solartex had gone brown and the engine completely neglected was stripped, cleaned and rebuilt with new bearings. The covering was all removed and the airframe glassed, sprayed and fuel-proofed. I was surprised to find a replacement canopy at SMC which would have been a show-stopper otherwise since the original had cracked and buckled. The engine was run and tuned this afternoon much to the neighbours delight!

acrowot.jpg

Hi

I've had a few questions from some close friends so I'll give some more detail re the ARUP here.

The weight is 5lbs.

The wing area is 800sq.inches .

The balance is spot on with a 4.8 volt battery positioned under the tank .

I did add 1.5"" to the nose length at the initial redesign stage and straightened out the outlines a bit .

I needed to angle the U/C legs forward a bit so it would sit properly on the ground .

As it is a bit cumbersome to handle I found that using pins to hold the covering on and then adjusting it before tack gluing and shrinking was of benefit .

Keep well

Keith .

I was recently gifted a BNIB, old stock model as payment for finishing the assembly of another model on the understanding that I would actually build it and not just use it as loft insulation. The recently completed kit is a Solent Sailplanes "Ridge Racer" (there's a clue in the first photograph!) dating I guess from the mid '70s. The fuselage is a polyester/glass fibre moulding and the wings are veneered foam core with a rarely seen 'reverse taper' ailerons operated via a single centrally located servo and a pre-installed Bowden cable. Just waiting for a 15 kt westerly at my local slope to get the maiden out of the way.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg