Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

49 minutes ago, Chris Walby said:

Twins (either electric or IC) are not difficult to fly and can be very rewarding apart from my Ta154, but that was not a engine issue so does not really count. Interestingly I have had more electric one out issues than with IC over the years, one resulting in a very bicycle clip moment with an electric mossie.

I would have made my GTC ic but for two reasons, firstly find cost effective 4 stroke engines that size is not easy, secondly I want to practice one engine out and electric gives me a restart option. 

Advice given to me and it really applies to all flying.

• Always have a plan B, if it dead sticks where are you going to go for safety and then minimum damage to the model, if you have plenty of height and airspeed nurse it around, if not "Bob Hoover - fly it as far into the crash site as possible" twins normally land quit nicely on their nacelles!
  • Preparation is key, follow manufacturers advice and put the tanks in the right place, set the engines up correctly and don't fire wall on takeoff
  • If it isn't right then don't push it and fly anyway, a sick engine on the ground will not improve in flight

By the way Evil - very nice twin you have there, all the best for many hours of flying with the super sound of a twin!

PS - nearly 40% of my collection are either electric or IC twins...Do I have a problem?

No, twins are good!

On 26/09/2021 at 16:37, Ron Gray said:

Having been really pleased with my Viper I was thinking of either Hawk or T33, what does it fly like Paul?

I have a Hawk - flies beautifully, just as stable as the Viper, even if you get the UK version without the stabilization gizmo. Friend has the T33 - just as nice to fly but not as fast - a nicely different shape though!  Think I will get one to 'complete the set'.

All 3 highly recommended.

My Viper and Hawk use 3S 1500 LiPos - I prefer the agility over the extra 30 seconds a 2200 allows.

Two maidens last weekend.
The Viper on 3s 2200, went OK, but not stella. Would not get away from an underarm throw, required two people, one as a launcher. 4s 1300 on order!

And the Guppy flew for the first time.278199551_DSCF01671.thumb.JPG.0592e52dde16a158bf43ecbd7cb2d301.JPG

A couple of bits to sort. That long elevator rod need stiffening up a bit. Carbon rod on order. And canopy to fit once all linkages are set top neutral. It did need a bit of left in it.

For your delight and delectation, my first own-design scale model.

FVVS J-22. A swedish fighter of little renown. 

44" span, AUW 2lb 12Oz (wing loading 18 Oz/ Sq Ft).

Power 3536 1200kv on a 10x5 and 3S 2200MAh Pack giving approximately 400W

Retracts fitted, retracting rearward. I opted against twist/ turns because I fly my retract fitted models from a bumpy strip and take off on the wheels, but belly land. The wheels stay slightly proud when retracted, which is not scale, but is a nice shock absorber for landing, and a nice grip if I hand launch.

Thanks To Richard Wills and Peter Miller for their design ideas, advice and inspiration!

Just the maiden now. And of course, this is the only one, so no point asking anyone else how well it flies!

Graham

J22 290921 1.jpg

J22 290921 2.jpg

J22 290921 3.jpg

J22 290921 4.jpg

• Like 10

Not new, but new to me. I bought this Pace Spirit off a fellow club member who retired from the sport. The plans were drawn by Mike Trew and the 'plane is ¼ scale with a wingspan of 74 ¾". I'm still refining the trim (despite warped elevators!). I replaced the ASP engine with a Laser (of course!!!) 120 and need to play around with different props, at the moment I'm running a 15x6 APC but think that a 15x8 would be more suited. Still, it flies quite well and will make a nice winter hack.

IMG_6357.thumb.jpeg.8672f5d583d9b71f060f6f025b16ecf1.jpeg

IMG_6353.thumb.jpeg.b39a3a8c9e7d63949d7df9ee821a9539.jpeg

IMG_6354.thumb.jpeg.cb00df5be02a91c7615a96e06b61ae9d.jpeg

IMG_6355.thumb.jpeg.5fb0619f062fd0cff4e18689941cdd69.jpeg

IMG_6356.thumb.jpeg.57188e70c9f6f63ed33ef39e0e401476.jpeg

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 7

Back in the 40s Aeromodeller had a cartoon of a very distorted fighter with the caption something like “The designer had a warped slide rule.”

Over the years I have occasionally wondered (Usually in the early hours of the morning) if it would be possible to build a similar model that would fly.

Recently I became totally bored out of my mind designing and building yet another aerobatic model so I decided to see if I could design and build my distorted aircraft.

This is the result.

Miss Insanity 3.jpg

Miss Insanity2.jpg

Miss Insanity 1.jpg

DSCF4912.JPG

DSCF4914.JPG

DSCF4916.JPG

• Haha 6