Forum members' new models: Let's see them.

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 11/10/2013 13:39:57:

Don't say that to Ginger Lacey or Tom Neal, they were glad to see the back of them and get into Spitfires. Adolf Galland wasn't very complimentary about them either. (Old Chuffers). Still a beautiful plane and your rendition captures it perfectly, I'm jealous.

I have always loved the lines of a Hurricane and while it wasn't as good a fighter as the Spitfire or the Bf109, it did dispose of more German bombers than the Spitfire, and bombers win wars not fighters.

Besides many novice pilots initially posted to Hurricane squadrons blessed them for their robustness. One veteran I saw interviewed on the television claimed that he was quite a good pilot by 1941 when he converted to the Spitfire. Had he been sent to a Spitfire squadron direct from training in 1940 he would have had the wheels through the wing on his first landing. According to him, the Hurricane could be dropped in from eight feet and still come back for more.

Picture of my recently repaired Super Sixty just to keep the thread on track.

super 60 repaired 2.jpg

Brilliant Super Sixty David, puts even more pressure on me to get the Frog Jackdaw back in the air. (Too much talking about it and not doing it). I don't need convincing about the Hurricane, great plane. Comparing it with the Spitfire is a bit like comparing the Rolling Stones with the the Beatles, pointless because they're different kinds of animal! I just took advantage of the words that Danny used and treated them unfairly. Also influenced by recently finishing Tom Neal's book in which he describes his experiences with the Hurricane in Malta in 1941, before they managed to get Spitfires in.

I'll see if I've got any photos fit to put on here.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 12/10/2013 10:53:24

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love the hurricane, I have the same model and it looks good and flies evan bettert.

I must agree about you cant beat a hurricane, You cant deny the spifires good looks, but there is something about the hurricane in my eyes.

We would have been in trouble without them during the Battle of Britain, they accounted for more enemy planes than all other defences combined including spitfires, defiants and anti aircraft. Not just bombers but fighters to.

There was a spitfire snobbery amongst the germans and many of them could not accept they had been shot down by hurricanes.

You have to remember that the hurricane was towards the end of its development by the war wheras the spitfire was at the beggining of its.

Also the hurricane was much easier to manufacture and mentain.

If you ask many of the pilots of the time they would say give me a spitfire for pleasure but in a fight i want a hurricane.

It really annoys me every time i here about the spitfire being the plane that won the battle of britain.

Ok got that of my chest lol and even i cant deny i like the spitfire too

Sorry in all that i forgot to say my new model is the Lander Hunter, rebuilt from a wreck i was given.  flies great.pb091349.jpg

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 16/11/2013 09:58:52

Posted by bouncebounce crunch on 16/11/2013 09:28:43:

Absolute disgrace Ken,

How dare you inspire others to have a go at modelling something different to an ARF.

you will get a good balsa bashing for this.

Hot, cool ----- didn't want to say smashing.

Excellent model.

bbc.

..........................................................................................

thanks BBC.......I was thinking of a ARTF version................. but the local Chinese lads were to busy last night getting out the Friday evening order's......

ken Anderson ne....1 .........ah so dept.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Rob Jones 2 on 16/11/2013 10:13:00:
Posted by Andrew Russell 2 on 30/08/2013 18:32:50:

Built last night and the most fun I've had flying in a while! Only cost £4 in materials as well ttt.jpg

What is this and can you post plans or diagram Andrew?

Looks like the Flite Test swappable FT Flyer Rob. You can download the plans from their site. **LINK**