Memories of push button single channel

avtur

Insomnia is getting the better of me tonight and for some reason my mind is wandering down r/c memory lane … Back to the mid/late ‘60’s I think it was when my Dad bought me a ‘radio control system’

I seem to remember that we drove from home (near Stockport) all the way (in the family Morris Minor) to Roland Scott Models at Walkden somewhere on, or near, the East Lancs Road as we then called it.… does that name ring any bells with anyone ???

The set my Dad bought me was Mainstream Simprop single channel, with a single big white button in the middle of the transmitter. I think by the standards of the time it was a “de-lux” set up because it came with two motorized servos … (in aircraft configuration) one for rudder and a second was a sequential motor control.

So with the ‘big’ button … it was one for left …. two for right and (with practice!) two and a quick third press would give you one sequence change on the throttle. The throttle had three positions so you had to be mindful of where you were on the throttle sequence. Is this bringing back any memories ???

This radio set was put to use in a range of models … on land, sea and in the air ….

In the air it was used for my early attempts with a Veron Impala, with modest success. On water it worked well in 36 inch semi scale ‘torpedo boat’ … the speed controller worked well there. And then on land… well this was a long shot but it worked very well (this was way before modern electric cars) I had a static Mamod steam engine which I built into a Meccano ‘vehicle’ chassis, so I had a steam powered vehicle with both steering and throttle control …

That simple ‘push button’ radio set achieved a great deal of success in these different vehicles … at the time very few people shared in that success … but I know if it happened … these days I would have had this all over You-Tube …

After the steam car I went on to ‘invent’ lawnmower racing … but I was 20 years ahead of the time … that’s another story …

Avtur,

I cut my R/C teeth with the 'Wee MacGregor' Codamac set that you see in my avatar, with a Ripmax motorised actuator - 1 press for right, two for left.

I had many happy hours slope soaring with a rudder-only Performance Kits 'Buzzard'. It was quite a challenge trying to land accurately with rudder only on a hilltop, but I think it forged a good undertanding of flight dynamics and controlling the model speed with rudder inputs. It also went well off the towline.

I progressed to a Dave Hughes 84 inch 'Silent Knight', still with single channel but with slightly less success. It was a majestic flyer, but much less responsive in critical situations on the slope. However, despite a few crunches I never totalled it and I still have it in my loft.

Isn't reminiscence great!

Phil who? Single what? teeth 2

I dont know if you're aware avtur but we're still doing it! Quite a substantial number of people are out at weekends flying Sharkfaces, Tyros and Simplexes on the button, single channel, just like time had frozen in 1968!

I note you used a set of motorised actuators - most used escapements, which were one for right, two for left - this was enforced by their mechanical layout. On a motorised setup of course you could set it up either way, but matching the escapements was sensible if you had a mix of actuators or if as we did you used to 'swap goes' on models frequently.

Steve, thats not a Codamac in your avatar, its an MR200 smiley

The Codamac was special in that it did all the 'one for right, two for left' malarky for you via a two-way lever - like a single axis stick unit.

I just saw a post this morning from one of the Retford MFC lads, they're holding a Retro event in October, hopefully all the S/C lads will turn out in force to support them.

Lots of info on www.singlechannel.co.uk if you're interested! **LINK**

So in the words of the BoB Squadron Leader, "Well, don't just stand there - get one up!" (a S/C model that is)

New recruits are always welcome, old re-recruits especially!

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 09/07/2013 15:50:56

• 9 months later...

Avtur

It's uncanny how similar are our memories of early radio and all that went with it. I can still remember our journeys into Lancashire to Roland Scott's shop. There was gear in there that I could only dream of owning. Genuine American stuff, like Orbit, PCS and Kraft. I've a mate who had a 10 channel F+M Midas/Matador combo in a Beachcomber with a McCoy 60 on it. I used to get a go with it every once in a while.

Prior to multi I did single channel which was all super-regen. Best rx I had was a home-built UK receiver made from parts from Harrogate Radio. Being in Bradford, the trip to Harrogate was only 40 minutes and we delighted in the service at Harrogate Radio. The owner was called Ron, and he had a huge vocabulary of swear words we'd never heard before !

Best performing single channel models were APS Timber, Charger, Pal Joey, and several o/d models. I had to make do with Fred Rising escapements, clockwork, sequential and compound. We used to put a Burgess microswitch on the tx in place of the plastic cheepo ones (they didn't stand the quick-blip punishment) My pal had a Bonner Varicomp in his Matador, but we weren't as rich as that. I also remember a Soarcerer soarer that I made a Mighty Midget powered compound escapement for. So no running out of turns (for once)

I reckon it's 50 years since I flew single channel. But I know I could still hack it.

RC'ers today don't know they're born !!

David

Edited By David H on 27/04/2014 18:50:11

Posted by David H on 27/04/2014 18:48:27:

I reckon it's 50 years since I flew single channel. But I know I could still hack it.

So whats holding you back David?

We've had a great afternoon down at Ponty Park today, all I took was the single-channel rudder-only Sharkface, had about 8 longish flights, quite windy but that doesnt bother a Sharkie!

Go on, you know you want to....

sc_models.jpg

We also fly Reeds and rudder-only pulse-propo... lots of info and banter here:  LINK

Cheers

Phil

Edited By Phil Green on 27/04/2014 20:11:21

Edited By Phil Green on 27/04/2014 20:14:13

I had two McGregor single channel sets, one was in a green hammerited case with a superregen receiver if memory serves and the other was the Minimac superhet set.

I never had any success with aircraft with them so I used to go boating instead, as a young teenager I could really make a boat do what I wanted with some nimble button pressing.

They got put in a box in a garden shed and the rain got in and ruined them, shame really!

I had a couple of two channel McGregor sets as well but I never had any airborne success until I got a four channel set.

Shaunie.

Memories! I graduated from FF via control line to my first single channel radio model in 1966. I had the MacGregor Tx but could only afford an OS Pixie super-regen Rx. This fed a Conquest escapement. My first model was the Aeromodeller Swannee. This flew well on my old DC Merlin. I obtained the MacGregor Galloping Ghost transmitter and let the venerable Pixie operate a Ripmax GG servo. The old Merlin still coped and I flew many sorties Until I hit a Hangar at RAF Lindholme. I stopped modelling by 1976 but recently started again a year ago in 2013 with a Spekky 7s and a Bixler trainer and an overpowered Cutlass. I'm now half way through building an electric Swannee for old times sake. I'm sorry but it won't be SC. With the modern lightweight kit its going to have elevators, rudder, ailerons, throttle and flaps. When it is finished I'l post pictures here. full circle after nearly 50 years !