Futaba 14SG chat

SR 71

I have just taken delivery of a new Futaba 14SG but as it came out of the box i found the No 6 channel for the second aileron only operates with the throttle, ie move the thottle up and down the second aileron go's up and down. The rudder, elevator and the right hand aileron work as normal but there seems to be a problem with the motor control,it works but not correctly. I tested the model again with my JR/ Spektrum gear and it all work perfectly. Any ideas please. Tony

The second problem sounds like throttle reversing. On Futaba you nearly always have to reverse the throttle to work with an ESC - have you checked this?

Regarding the first problem - more complex. Have you got any mixes unintentionally set? Also on the 8FG - which is basically the same - you can map any function/channel to any control/switch. It could be that channel 6 has been set to work off (It think) J3 which is what, again I think, is the switch name of the throttle - check that in the manual! This is fabulously powerful facility - but it can lead to complex cock ups if you're not careful.

BEB

Hi Biggles i had just done that, found it in the functions, managed to take it off the throttle just got to tie it in with the ailerons now, thought i had done it but no still not working, i will try reversing on the throttle Tony

Ok everything is sorted now, thank you very much for your help, it was the ail 1-2 i thought i had set it to ail 2 but the throttle ch went back to normal for some reason after i had set it to reverse so maybe thats what happend to the ailerons, the TX looks a nice bit of kit if i can get my head round it.

You have to be very careful of that SR71 - that feature bit me soon after I got my 8FG. Changing the model type, say from 1 AIL to 2AIL resets everything back to default settings. So, you may have reversed the throttle - then realise that you need to set to 2-AIL. You do so and bingo the throttle is unreversed! I did this with a model on the bench - lipo connected and prop on (hey, I was only fiddling with some settings - yes?) The result was scary and spectacular! Immediately I pressed to select 2-AIL the model went full throttle! I'm in a small room with a model at full chat - it was not fun.

The only excuse I can offer is that I was quite new to electric power and the Tx. embarrassed IC doesn't do that sort of thing!

Lessons to be learned by me:

1. Don't fiddle with the basic set up while the model is powered up and check all settings afterwards in case they have gone back to default.

2. If you must fiddle with the settings on a powered up electric model - be bright enough to take the prop off!

BEB

SR71 go to Amazon and buy Malcom Holts excellent hands-on manual for the 14SG. It costs £4.99 as a Kindle version. It's possible to download a 'Kindle' from Amazon onto your computer free of charge which will enable you to read the manual. The Futaba manual is, let us say, pretty basic but Malcom's publication covers all operations step by step. The 14SG is a great bit of kit and once mastered you should be very pleased with it.

Tony,

On a model with 1AIL wing type the default function for Channel 6 is Variable Pitch Propeller which operates in conjunction with the throttle (see Page 41 of the Futaba manual). Your radio was behaving exactly as it should.

This radio is function based. The old rules of channel 1 = aileron, channel 2 = elevator etc no longer apply. The default allocations will vary depending on the Model Type and Wing and Tail Types selected. You are also free to change the defaults and allocate any Function to any Channel with any Control. Although it seems confusing at first it gives the radio huge flexibility and it really is worth spending a bit of time getting to grips with how it works. For example, are you controlling your electric motor with the default Throttle Function or have you changed it to the much safer and more appropriate Motor Function?

Again thank you all for the help. Malcom i tried to get your book from Amazon but could not find it, but as you may have already quest im not to good with computers and the 14sg is a computer so im looking for any helpful hints and advice you can give me. the reason i bought it was because i have lost 9 models in the past 18 months useing jr / spektrum with loss of contact, including a turbine where everything was consumed with the fire.

SO tomorrow i go to fly it,

Malcom i had a thread running on here a while back ( Help needed to set up controls for my SR 71 ) i never did get it done because of the problems i had with the Jr/ spektrum

Do you think you could help me set it up on the 14sg please

I have had a look at your other thread where you ask for your ailerons to rise with the elevators on take-off. I am not sure why you want this but it is a very simple mix.

Select a new PMix in the PROG MIX Menu. On screen 2/2 change INH to ACT to activate the mix. It will change to ON. Next to this assign whichever switch you wish to use for turning the mix on and off for take-off. Set Master to Elevator and set Slave to Aileron. This lets the elevators control the ailerons. Change the Slave Link (next to where you have entered AIL) to – (minus). This makes the second aileron move in the opposite direction to normal.

Make sure that you have switched the mix on and then go to screen 1/2 of the PROG MIX. Change the +0 at the top of the screen to +25. This should make both ailerons rise 25% so you can adjust the value to suit your needs. Depending on your setup the ailerons may both go down. If this happens just change the +25 to -25.

To find my book go to www.amazon.co.uk and, in the search box, type Futaba 14SG. You can preview the first few sections, including a detailed list of contents, free of charge. There are also reviews and a link to further reviews on the American Amazon site. The book can be read on a Kindle but also on many computers, phones and tablets by downloading the free software from Amazon. (search Google for Kindle readers).

I have been playing with this Tx so much its given me a headache, but i have managed to set up the SR71 on the servo moniter at least, thank you Malcom. like you say its an awsome piece of kit, hope i can do it justice

If I have understood it correctly you want ailerons which operate normally (one up and one down). You also want a switchable mix which causes both ailerons to rise together when up elevator is applied. Is that correct?

Please can you clarify exactly what you mean when you say that “both ailerons work the same way”. Is the aileron function not working correctly or is the switched mix not working correctly?

You mentioned previously that you had got it working on the servo monitor. If that is the case, then I suspect that your problem may lie with your servo connection rather than with your transmitter programming.

The mix I describe in my previous post assumes that you have selected a 2AIL wing in the Model Type Menu and that your aileron servos are connected to the channels shown in the Function Menu as AIL and AIL2. If this is not the case please explain how the ailerons are connected and I will do my best to help.

• 7 months later...