Futaba 14SG chat

SR 71

In the Model Type Menu set Wing Type to Flying Wing with 2Ailerons.

As Dave has pointed out, the default setting gives aileron 1 on Channel 1 and Aileron 2 on Channel 6. You can see this by going to the Function Menu. This setup works fine but, if you particularly want your ailerons on Channels 1 and 2, simply assign AIL2 to Channel 2 in the Function Menu.

If the elevators go the wrong way, go to the Elevator to Camber Mix Menu (in Model Menu). By default all the settings are -100. Change them all to +100 and the elevators will work in the other direction.

When you select Flying Wing as the Model Type the software automatically activates the Elevator to Camber Mix. This is because the model has no conventional elevators. The mix causes the elevator stick to control the wing camber controls which, on your model, are the ailerons.

Posted by Malcolm Holt on 07/03/2014 15:27:59:

In the Model Type Menu set Wing Type to Flying Wing with 2Ailerons.

As Dave has pointed out, the default setting gives aileron 1 on Channel 1 and Aileron 2 on Channel 6. You can see this by going to the Function Menu. This setup works fine but, if you particularly want your ailerons on Channels 1 and 2, simply assign AIL2 to Channel 2 in the Function Menu.

If the elevators go the wrong way, go to the Elevator to Camber Mix Menu (in Model Menu). By default all the settings are -100. Change them all to +100 and the elevators will work in the other direction.

When you select Flying Wing as the Model Type the software automatically activates the Elevator to Camber Mix. This is because the model has no conventional elevators. The mix causes the elevator stick to control the wing camber controls which, on your model, are the ailerons.

thanks thats a great help

i was missing the wing camber

Steve

• 1 month later...

Hi I received a new 14Sg in January and I want to update the software to the latest versions. I have formatted an SDHC card ok but when I download the updates from Ripmax and try to run the .exe file I get a message from the Futaba File System Utility that says: "The error occurred at the time of the reading in of the configuration file. Confirm or redo a download once again. It failed in the copy."

Does anyone know of a fix for this? (I've tried emailing Ripmax over a week ago but have received no response...I

​I am running Vista Home Premium as the operating system..

Thanks

Jon

John, I had the same problem last year and I think it was caused by the Winzip program. Here is a copy of my post describing what seemed to work:-

Good news at last. I reformatted the CD card again in my laptop to ensure that it was empty, then did a futaba reformat. After that I downloaded a newer version of winzip and I have been able to install the version 3 onto my 14SG. What was wrong before I've no idea. Thanks to you all once again.

I hope that it works for you.

Well Barrie tried your suggestion and paid for the latest version of Winzip but it still failed with the same error message. The email I sent to Ripmax about this at the beginning of the month asking for advice has not been responded to which is very poor service!

I'm wondering if it is something to do with the fact that I am using Vista home premium?

Jon

I don't have an SG14, but tried out the zip file to see what would happen!

I unzipped the files into a folder (any old folder) on the PC - not straight to an SD card. When you run the exe file it prompts you to enter the location of the SD card and then copies what it needs to copy to that.

As far as I'm aware, the SD card is formatted in the transmitter in a proprietary format that the PC can't read/write directly - so you have to write to it using their exe file.

Edited By John Privett on 11/05/2014 18:04:25

John its worked a dream - thank you so much for your advice...as I am normally a Mac user I hadn't released that you had to runt he exe file from a folder that wasn't within Winzip!

There was an update to version 4 of the software real eased only four days ago and I am now all up to date. Thanks again

Jon

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, I have just received a 14sg,(s/h) I would like to have the throttle ratchet in place , can this be done???.

malcom your book is there a chance it will come out in print, I really like to have it next to me when programing, not having an Ereader, it is awkard carting my P.C. around

Thanks
barry

Hi Barry,

Unfortunately a printed copy is simply not viable. 14SG owners are a very limited market and, in my experience, the majority do not even read the manual carefully let alone shell out their hard-earned cash on additional reading matter. Modern electronic gadgets become obsolete almost overnight these days so the prospects for future sales of a book like this are not good.

In addition to this, I update the e-book each time Futaba release a software upgrade and the new version is available for download free of charge. That is not a service which can be provided economically with printed books.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Do you have a smart phone? If so, you can download a free App from Amazon Kindle and read my book on that. It's not ideal but, for quick reference at the flying field, it is fine.

Malcolm

Hi all, for those of you that wish to have a ratchet on your 14Sg throttle stick, here is the procedure, be aware that once the rear cover is removed your warranty flies out the door

With a small Ellen key, remove the 2 top screws holding the antenna trim on

remove the rubber side pads, battery and cover

remove back cover. your throttle gimble will have a plastic small cover over the ratchet device,a small thin metal arm is the part to be removed along with the that plastic covering, now you will notice there is no indent in that thin metal strip, which causes the ratcheting

Get a nice thin sharp small chisel and with the metal strip laying on top of vice jaws, ( opened slightly ) tap an indent into the end of the strip, you can file the indentation to a sharper profile, but i left mine as it came out.

replace all the bits in reverse order and there ya have it............easy hey wink

Cheers

Barry

Edited By A.A. Barry on 12/09/2014 02:15:55

• 8 months later...

Quick question for all you experts. I have be working my way around the programming and have reached the point of switch assignment. On my petrol models I usually put the Opto kill switch unit on switch A and the choke on switch B on my old Futaba 7C. Now they are two position switches whereas on the 14SG all the switches bar one are three position switches. I have successfully assigned the appropriate channels I want to use for these switches, but before I start connecting servos, will the fact the switches on the 14SG are 3 position cause any problems? I did think of PM Malcolm Holt here as he has been very helpful in my setting up downloading his book, but I don't want to be a pain with too many questions.

Adrian. On the kill switch a 3-position switch should be OK. Up and down will give Off and On. The mid position will give one or the other depending on the type of kill switch. If the choke is driven by a servo then the middle switch position will give approximately half choke.

The 14SG provides plenty of scope for altering these by programming switch states but it can be a bit daunting when you encounter the radio for the first time. If you want any help please PM me, saying exactly what you want to achieve with each switch position.

Personally I always use one of the dials (RD or LD) for my kill switch on the basis that I am far less likely to activate it by accident than a toggle switch. The disadvantage, compared to a toggle switch, is that it is less easy to see whether the switch is ON or OFF though the Opto-kill light still indicates this. The sliders (RS and LS can also be used as switches.

Thanks Malcolm. I have put the kill switch and choke on A an B switches purely out of habit as this is the case with all my models on the 7C. Although I take your point with using the dials. The Opto Kill SW has a warning light. The Opto requires channel movement 140% either way to be sure of working, hence my initial concerns of a 3 position toggle. I have attached servos to the assigned channels/switches just to see how they move, but obviously until I connect the Opto in the place of 1 servo I won't know for sure. With choke I can live with the 50% per click. As ever, your are a gent Malcolm and will probably PM you with what I decide what want to do with these switches. By the way I have used the Ailevator mix to use for 2 elevator servos (CH2 & CH 7)and that seems to work fine by zeroing the aileron mix and leaving the elevators with the movement I want.