Midget Mustang build

I’ve decided to build this model by Peter Miller, having built Li’L Mustang also designed by Peter Miller and loving it, I had to build this one. I’ve been out of the hobby for about 8 years now due to work commitments, but finally I have some time this year to get back into it. First let me explain that I am by no means an experienced builder, in fact this is number three. However I am methodical and as such I hope for a good result. Any constructive criticism is most welcome, I always want to learn more and become better as a builder. I won’t fly this model after it’s built for a while anyway, my flying skills are rusty to say the least and so I’ve got an ARTF Cessna that’s going to get a jolly good work out in the next few months. I am already quite well advanced into the build and so I hope to post progress in the final stages of the build.

Advert

img_6758.jpg

Dry fitting the ribs and getting a feel for the wing. I will say that if you take the root rib and the tip rib and lay a flatbar over the tops of the ribs they are quite a way out. I had to use a flatbar to sand and level up all the ribs between the two so as the sheeting would sit flat when put over them. I was quite dissapointed with the lofting of the fames given that Peter did a lovely job designing the model, it seems a let down that the draftsman doesn't appear to have put much effort into accuracy. Surely in this day and age if you CAD draw the root and tip ribs, enter the distance between the two, number of ribs to be added then the program does the rest and perfectly. Maybe this plan was still drafted by hand? In any case it was a challange at times, but what is life without a challange!

Edited By Paul Irvine on 22/08/2013 20:55:21

img_6769.jpg

Glueing the bottom sheeting to the ribs. I weighed down the spars so that my little wedges would lift the wing from the board. Sharp eyes will note the book "Learn to make models that fly" by Kelvin Shacklock, I highly recommend this book to anybody aspiring to be a builder of model aircraft.

Hi Paul.

Glad that you liked Li'l Mustang. Just be aware that this one is much more scale and has a heavier wing loading so it is a completely different type of model to fly.

You could do with a bit more power that my original FS40. I suggest a .52. four stroke.

Hi Gary. That is a very neat version.

Hi Gary

Thanks for the photos of your model, I love the colour scheme and had looked over your build blog before starting my one. I hope my covering is up to your standard. Sounds like you had a few issues with the wings. I must admit the extra work for the flaps has been quite a challange however I am happy with how it has gone. I see you omited them, maybe a smart a move.

Thanks for the advice Peter

I had touched base with you before about this model where you suggested to up the power. To that end I'm droping in a Irvine .40 2 stroke, that should do it? Just waiting for my pits style muffler to arrive from the UK so I don't have to cut that lovely cowl to pieces!

Posted by Peter Miller on 23/08/2013 08:42:50:

You could do with a bit more power that my original FS40. I suggest a .52. four stroke.

img_6785.jpg

These are the washout wedges. In the plan is shown a trailing edge washout strip which is incorrect. A quick email to Peter Miller sorted out a few questions. At his instruction I cut a wedge to go under the tip root and another wedge half the height to go under R6. I got a perfect washout and was really happy with the results. Here are Peters words for anybody suffering the same confusion as myself.

"OK, on washout wedges. Forget about the trailing edge strip. I don't know what the draftsman has done there.

Make another wedge like the one for going under R-6 but twice as thick at the wide end. Use that under the tip rib.

I hope this has clairfied things."

img_0466.jpg

Wing tip added and sanded to the wing profile.

img_0469.jpg

Another view looking from the Aileron side.I used a very thin piece of ply in the wing tip build up which I lined up with the trailing edge when gluing the wingtip to the wing. I figured that the point would be quite fine and it is, this ply creates a nice solid point at the end of the aileron. I guess it will take a knock better than just a balsa tip. yes

Top view of the wing pretty well finished.img_0470.jpg

And another view from the servo bay, I've installed the carbon fiber control rods for the ailerons already as I didn't fancy my chances of putting them in after I joined the wing. Got caught there once before sad All up pretty happy with the wing finish so far, it's very light which pleases me.

img_0471.jpg