RPGs - Double build

Steve Jones 2

After the success so far with my first autogyro- RCME Panther, I was advised the next logical step was a pusher and no better model to learn the black art craft than Rich's RPG.

This thread is intended not to be a 'how too' more a documented account of my build as it progresses. I will build 2 at the same time... It doesn't take twice as long.

Hopefully others will find it informative and maybe provoke discussion

Tim,

It is the MKI version that I sent Steve which is the original and was the first that Traplet had,the V2 version is the newest Traplet version and the MkII was the 2 bladed version. The difference being the blades slowly improved as I experimented. The last one I did was the RPG 700 which is a lighter , wider, longer and more shapely version designed to easily get in a 4 s Lipo. This one uses basically my Panther type blade and a slightly different mounting plate. Power to weight ratio is at least 1:1 as it climbs like a love sick angel and pulls loops with ease.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

So, progress a little slow due to other distractions, some update pics of the build so far...

sam_1786.jpg

Tail boom support with double blind nut & Servo mounts with screw reinforcement

sam_1787.jpg

First body partially assembled

sam_1788.jpg

Motor mount boxes, one partially built showing the captive nuts

sam_1791.jpg

Base of the mast with servo mounts

sam_1793.jpg

Mast glued inplace on the body and the boom supports added - make sure they are straight and the boom is a sliding fit !!

sam_1794.jpg

When your in the mood, why not make 2 !!!yes

Thats it for now - off to try and get the super glue off my fingers crying

The designer Richard (in blue) with my RPG.

Sorry for the picture but I can't add them from my album. A better picture can be seen there. Not blurred!

A very good designed pusher autogyro, and enough space to get a pilot fitted.

Regards

Andy

Edited By Andy Nash on 17/10/2013 13:37:44

• 2 weeks later...

So, its been a while but a little more progress. Time spent on the head assembly and the nose wheel.

sam_1886.jpg

Some small changes from the plan spec, I used 3mm birch ply not Liteply for the hhead mounts on the mast. The moving parts where as with my Panther, laminations of 2mm ply, 1/4 scale hinges and a removeable hinge pin made from wire. Astro gearboxes screw to the top plate with the captive T nuts inside, making removing easy if required. Main hinge ia 5mm piano wire and double collets. ....

sam_1887.jpg

Dont forget the cross pinning with cocktail sticks to secure the hinges and glue

As for the nose wheel, although the plan is fixed I have opted for steering. This is my take on things, all made with a silver soldered tiller arm. Removal of the leg is with the upper collet which will be hidden in the nose when complete. Dont forget the turns in the leg (handly SLEC wire bender) to give some spring with those not soo smooth landings sad

sam_1888.jpg

Again the servo will be higdden in the nose with a short arm. Will need to fit a z wire to protect the servo gears

sam_1889.jpg

Finally I added some extra bulkheads at the front and a second one behing the sevo to brotect it from the main battery trying to come forward....

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, Having built 4 RPG's can I offer a couple of tips? The RPG is an incredibly strong construction. I spiraled my first one in nose first from 50 feet and it bounced!!! However here are a couple of tips, take 'em or leave 'em, up to youcheeky

• I found it difficult to get the hang angle right on my first 2 (remember RH likes a rearward cg LOL) so on the third and fourth I fixed and carved the balsa nose to shape. I then cut it off, fixed a captive star nut into f1. I then hollowed out the balsa nose and filled it with lead, drilled a hole in the middle and bolted it onto f1. I adjusted the lead to suit. This will probably be needed on yours as you have the steering servo at the front therefore restricting how far forward the battery will go although the nose gear will be extra weight.
  • Make the top deck removable to make changing batteries easier (been done by others as well)
  • Make the tail feathers out of depron (saves weight at the back)
  • Go with an alloy rear undercart not the wire frame which I found too rigid.
  • Go with a 4s set up

Anyway it's up to you matey.

BigT

Cheers Tim

Always willing to listen and learn from others experiences. 4s is already on the cards, yes the hang angle, cog positioning and the motor offset look a bit of a challenge. Bit like helis, correct set up is everything.

I was planning to make the nose detachable. Not sure if it will be ready at the weekend, concentrating on the second Panther. Will keep you posted

• 3 weeks later...

sam_1903.jpgSo , Progress has been a little slow, some great flying at Old Warden and a maiden of the second Panther (thanks Rich!!).

Here at the latest pics for the build. Servos, nose wheel and main U/C done ......

sam_1902.jpg

The second one is a little behind in the build but getting there.....

sam_1904.jpg

One reason its taken a while is the next pic ... If I see another blade !! cheeky. I know I said I like carving...

sam_1905.jpg

And finally for now, a look at the blades on others machines at OldWarden showed my Panther blades were flat. Enthusiastic use of the razor plane on the balsa produced a straight back section which is wrong. The Panthers fly but maybe I am loosing potential lift. These ones I tried to maintain a curve and hopefully they will be better...

Steve

sam_1906.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So , here we go with the completion of the first.... In the end on the nose I decided not to fix but make removeable - allowing access to the nose leg if there are issues or heavy landings etc. Fixings are location pegs and magnets

sam_1908.jpg

Snaps on quite well

sam_1909.jpg

Here is the finished article, the scheme is not original but a fitting respect to a great man no longer with us....

sam_1910.jpg

Power will be 4s with a 13x6 elec prop....

sam_1912.jpg

Not sure about the potential pilot yet !! frownsurprise

sam_1913.jpg