Mass Build general chat

Unless anybody has different numbers, then the official result of the Mass build for 2014 first round voting is as follows:

I've included models that weren't in the nominations list just for interest. As they came nowhere near the top, that is just academic.
65 people voted. If we count the number of times each model appeared in the voting thread, the top 5 stay the same.

Barnstormer 94
Dawn Flyer 86
Tinker/Tyro 66
Mini Jazz 65
Pushy Cat 55
STOL 37
Swamp rat 34
Jaberwock 33
Evans Volksplane 32
Miss lizzy 30
Piwakawaka 28
Flea Fi 27
Rat out of Hell 27
Whizzza 27
Chorus Gull 24
Astro Hog 21
Curare 21
Corben Baby Ace 17
Sharkface 16
Scout 15
Zulu - E 15
Chilli Breeze 14
Dalotel Viking 13
Dragon Dancer 13
Frantic 13
Evo Micro Fusion 11
Sling Shot 11
Super Slinky 9
Dactyl 8
E2K 8
Sawdust 8
P51B 7
Super Sportster 7
Evo Enigma 6
Skybird 6
Balerina 4
Gonzales 4
Slicker Mite 4
Moronic 3
Scale Cub 3
Jester 2
Sky Writer 2
Lulu A1 1
Luton Minor 1
Agri Duck 0

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 12/10/2013 20:17:58

Interesting figures chaps. Now what ? The voting seems to bee split between vintage and modern with a slight advantage to the vintage fraternity. I'm happy with that.

Personal opinion.

Take the top 5 and give one voter one vote. First past the post wins, with an option for a second model if the gap between one and two is less than 10%.

That way if it is a close finish you stand to get more people taking part in the build.

kevinb. Pleasing all of the people some of the time - maybe.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/10/2013 21:57:39

I have to agree with Chris and BEB, 5 seems the perfect solution for the final round and if round 1 is anything to go by I'll be well happy although taking into account previously aired views on the complexity of the barnstormer build I'm hoping we end up with that and the dawn flyer, That'll keep me busy for the winter as I would just have to do both.

As an addendum the complicated bits for the Barnstormer such as the cabanes, U/C patterns and ribs are all available from DB models making it a simpler build, so in my view having this and the dawn flyer would give a nice spread of skill sets needed to successfully complete

My preference for the voting format would be one member one vote and, as you can guess from above, a choice of the top 2 if they're separated by 10 votes or less, and to be fair I'd be happy if that was 10% or less

Phil

Ooer, now I'm getting dizzy. All this excitement is too much.

Just to expand on my previous post. As the next round progresses it may be that one model could be out in front by a considerable margin. The possibility of a second model may encourage more people to vote. That is unless having two models being built is likely to complicate matters. It would certainly provide novice builders with more answers to different build problems.

kevinb.

Phil

From my memory the Barnstormer is not just the features you list, it is also comprised of a stick type side frames, with cross braces, both frames are then made up into a box type body, onto which you attach longitudinal stringers, also the top has half round pieces stuck on, then longitudinal stringers. I just remember a painfully slow build.

Great ! I haven't been out on a pub crawl for years and even then it was usually my turn to drive !

This discussion is all sounding very positive, I just hope it can be turned into planes in the air. I might just be persueded to take the long journey down to Greenacres to join in the fun there, depending on the weather.

This is the first time I will be taking part in the mass build, although I have watched from without before. I'm sure I will learn a lot, as I have from the forum generally over the last couple of years. I may even do a build blog ! I'm sure if I get it wrong someone will put me right.

This is good fun, let's see what the next round brings.

kevinb.

Posted by Erfolg on 11/10/2013 22:14:42:

Phil

From my memory the Barnstormer is not just the features you list, it is also comprised of a stick type side frames, with cross braces, both frames are then made up into a box type body, onto which you attach longitudinal stringers, also the top has half round pieces stuck on, then longitudinal stringers. I just remember a painfully slow build.

No it's not angry !

You say "long drive" Kevin - what part of the country are you in - you'll have to do well to bet the records. I suspect the UK record for travelling to Greenacres might be held by Ken Anderson and Weasel - coming from Newcastle and Alnwick. The European record is held by PeteB I think who year before last came from France! The world record? Mmm any takers?

BEB

Now Now girls, put those handbags away.

I'm no speed merchant and when I looked at Barnstormer I had to think about it for quite a long while. It is not a "get out the bits and stick A to B" type of build, It does require an amount of planning. That's where the more experienced builders come in. The mass build is a team effort after all. Nobody is being told to go do it and then bring us the results. I reckon it would probably take me about 3 weeks of steady build time (I am not retired - yet). However I should think Tony Bennett will knock one out in about 2 1/2 days.

kevinb.

This is the sixth thread on the 2014 mass build, that hasn't even started. Why is it so over complicated? Only two are necessary- suggestions and voting thread, count up the results and hey presto. The organisers are doing an excellent job, but I am definitely not the first to get confused by the various threads and rounds of voting, and from an outsider not planning to take part (or a possible newbie builder) it is far to complicated, just one round, one vote per person and pick the winner instead of this confusing system.

CS

This is already very interesting, I like the idea of a choice of two models. Of course the original method that everyone has been voting towards was a one member one vote second round.

The most successful Mass Build in terms of models built was the Vintage one, with a total of 84 models built.

So I'd like to float another idea, just to see what folk think. It would move the goalposts - so if that is an issue, then lets kill the idea now.

Would there be any support for using all of the top 5 models for this years Mass Build?
Yes this does dilute the idea, of lots of people all building the same model so that people new to building can see how the more experienced do it, and so they can follow along.
It would also mean a bigger variation across the mass build.

But I think it would "include" far more people.

So, shoot down the idea and we'll go back to "as you were", or lets discuss.. yes

Chris

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/10/2013 22:41:22:

You say "long drive" Kevin - what part of the country are you in - you'll have to do well to bet the records. I suspect the UK record for travelling to Greenacres might be held by Ken Anderson and Weasel - coming from Newcastle and Alnwick. The European record is held by PeteB I think who year before last came from France! The world record? Mmm any takers?

BEB

If the event was truly trying to encompass people around the country it would go to a different place each year. That would make it a much more attractive event and it would also mean that more people would be able to go, instead of the usual 'exclusive club' which seems to turn up each year.

CS

Kevin/CSB

The Mass Build was never about building models to get together. It was always about including as many folk as we could, to help anyone who fancied a go, but hadn't dipped their toe, into the joys of building from balsa rather than assembling an ARTF.

The fact that there was an event, to which hsome of us could go just happened to come as a small add on.