Mass Build general chat

• 2 weeks later...

There should be in the order of 46 mass build models at the Greenacres Event, next year.

The Barnstormer is by far the favourite at 13 models . Then pretty much even are the Jazz and Tinker, on 10. Then comes the Dawn Flyer on 8. Languishing in last place is the Pushycat on 5.

At present I think the Pushycat being the most successful with at least 5 being built at the moment. Ken being essentially a completed model. Some others are making rapid progress and possibly two are being completed as I type, the progress is so rapid by some. My model alas has gone from the leader of the build pack, to the "flamme Rouge". It does seem that the Pushycat captures the Zeit Geist, in that in spirit it is a simple build, rapid construction, minimal in material requirements.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/11/2013 23:42:43

I have been building my Barnstormer 72 on spare weekends, when work permits, for about 2 months now. I obtained the plans from Eddie at DB Sport & Scale together with the cabanes and U/C. As I live in Australia, the plans are upside down, but that will make inverted flying easier.

One trick I have which makes servo placing and replacing easier is to use rails of 1/4 balsa on the fus sides; then glue in 1/8 beech or ply cross attachments for the servos and screw same in place. Then I loose fit similar beech/ply cross attachments for the other side of the servo and that is held in place by the side rails. No more notching and jiggling servos.

Photos will be on shortly, but the weather is going to be perfect for flying at the weekend; so I have an appointment with my Harlequin and Old Bill

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/11/2013 23:43:58

A bit of a nusiance with the plans being upside downsmiley, don't know how you managed to build it - Does that mean you have to some launch it upside down toowink. I'm looking forward to the pictures. It is great flying weather here today too so I'm off down the flying field myself

Edited for language!

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 15/11/2013 20:44:40

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/11/2013 23:44:54

Danny, a measure of success could be the numbers of models built, or maybe the number of models from the process which fly at Greenacres.

There is always the danger that delaying the start of the build could in some instances push the model down the list of priorities. Perhaps displaced by that Christmas giftangry 2. On that basis I would encourage as many immediate starts as soon as possible, particularly those major builds such as the Barnstormer, which could run out of build time. Having built one, many years ago, I do believe it is a real builders model from another age, where most were as interested and committed to building as flying.

I am building a Pushycat, which I had thought was a Vic Smeed design. I can only chuckle that i thought, how inappropriate, for a mass RC build. A FF oddity from a previous century. Then I discovered a rather snazzy easy build sports model. In my case anticipate my model could easily take another 2-3 weeks, as finishing always takes me much longer than I would estimate. Which will bring me to Crimbo. Leaving a week or two before the big event.

I am also hoping that an early start will pick up additional constructors, enthused to the "me too" philosophie. So why not join the PC club. There are two threads at present, the general PC build thread and the Ken how to build a PC in 10 easy stages.

Well for what its worth I believe (for me at least) the 2014 Mass Build begins in 2014! I've said from the output that October wass too early to start building for me, I'll be starting my Dawn Flyer in the new year.That's early for me - I mean it was early April when I started last year, and late April when I started the Webbit in 2011!

No problem with others starting of course - its up to each builder - but one slightly down side is that the event can become very diluted because it just goes on for so long - its hard to keep the momentum for that time period.

I do think that new builders will find that they will get a lot more "examples to follow" after January. But hey - part of the fun is figuring it out!wink 2

BEB

Posted by Erfolg on 21/11/2013 15:40:29:

In my case anticipate my model could easily take another 2-3 weeks, as finishing always takes me much longer than I would estimate. Which will bring me to Crimbo. Leaving a week or two before the big event.

I am also hoping that an early start will pick up additional constructors, enthused to the "me too" philosophie. So why not join the PC club. There are two threads at present, the general PC build thread and the Ken how to build a PC in 10 easy stages.

Hi Erfolg what big event are you refering to there mate. I am sure we met at greenacres in june this year and will be again next year or am I having a senior moment somewhat early in my life lol thinking

Phil

Hi Phil

The big event in my calendar will be Greenacres. Is it a long way into the future? Alas not at my time of life. As has been observed time is relative, and June is truly just around the corner.

For the younger person, June is a life time away, for me, not at all. At present i am undertaking a redecoration of a house for my two daughters. It just seems like last week that the electricians were called in to rewire, then to refit the kitchen and bathroom, the sun was shining, the days long. Yet now, the dark arrives all to soon, a chill wind or rain greets me when I open the backdoor to do some planing or something similar. Will I be finished for Christmas, i truly hope so!

I can see that BEB thinks that the selection process has been truncated, and that the builds are starting to soon. Yet my sincere opinion is that it is not to soon to start the builds, as i can see that the build process can easily span the intervening months.

In the case of the PC, there appears to be so many variations, from tricycle UC, my built up wing, truncated bodied (which my own model has followed) right through to as drawn, to wet the appetite of aspirants to joining the PC fold. So hopefully many more modellers will be inspired to join the build, of there take on the PC.

I do worry that leaving the build to after the Christmas period, has its own problems. The initial euphoria of the vote is long forgotten, Christmas gifts will soon have been given, perhaps a new model is amongst the goodies. How do you kick start the mass build process? Better to keep the builds going from pre Christmas build, to have a continuos process.

If one model had been selected it perhaps would have been possible to have made a Christmas plan pack available. Yet with the selection of multiple models, some non RCM&E, others being a multiple size variation and sub set of the same basic model, make this approach totally impractical.Which could have provided a focus on a post Christmas build.

Yet the question was is Greenacres just around the corner, for me, it is much nearer than i like.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course Barnstormer builders should be aware that it's an excellent slope soarer - at least Eddie seems to think so. I have the evidence of him attempting a launch when I visited the Haverford West model show a few years ago and he took a few of us up to his favourite slope. The only modification he made was to remove the prop and, presumably, not bother to fill the fuel tank.

Thinks. I really must finish off my Tucano from last year

Geoff

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just in case anyone is interested. I recently obtained a large quantity of magazines (No not that type !) and in amongst were both copies containing the Minijazz plan. If anyone is interested in them please PM me. Not particularly interested in money, but I do like to borrow interesting plans.

kevinb.

Hello all,

I finally worked out how to load photos into my album. Enclosed are a couple of photos late in the build and some taken today as she is ready to be painted. I've covered her in Solartex and will be using an OS 60 four stroke .

Unfortunately I shall not have enough time to organise a crate for the old girl, but I shall be flying on the day of your fly-in and hope to capture the flight on film and send it to you.

Next year I shall get my A into G.

Cheers

Sean Murray-Smith

Adelaide; South Australia

• 4 months later...