Mass Build general chat

Well, there seems to be some support for the idea of letting all these five go forward - or at least no one has said its a really bad idea yet!

GrahamC and Bob make similar points about getting folks to say which of the 5 they would build and then go with the one/ones that command the most overall support. Its a good idea, but I fear that it might not take us forward very much as all of the models would command a reasonable level of support - otherwise they wouldn't have got this far! And that means that after that process we might just be back here again - with 5 models which all command support. No, I fear the only sure way forward is either we have a second round vote or we go now with these 5.

I highlighted the potential problem with this idea of taking all five forward - ie being sure that there would be enough experienced builder support for each model. So far I've had 2 builders contact me and say they would take on the Tinker/Tyro combination. I would be happy to build a Tinker/Tyro, a Dawn Flyer or a MiniJazz - I don't mind which too much (I'm very broad minded!). But I can't do all three, so more need there. And that still leaves gaps for Barnstormer and Pushy Cat (come on Ken, time to put your money down mate!).

So, let's be having you experieneced builders - we need folks to step up to the ockey here. If you are a bit shy of commiting on here - just send me a PM. Remember, you don't need to be an expert just someone who is confident they could build the model and prepared to do a biuld blog of it for others to follow in areas where they are not sure. If we can be confident of the support, then this idea can be become a firm proposal.

BEB

Can't we go ahead with it as a firm proposal anyway?, if three of the models are covered. If the remaining two model's do not get an experienced builder supporting them it would suggest they are non-starter for the mass build.

Edited By Bearair on 12/10/2013 13:04:29

Ah - but as I pointed out David, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Bearair - it could come to that out of necessity if some approriate builders don't step forward. But obviously I keen not to be "pushing a solution" on folks - even if I do think its a good one! No, we have to take it one step at a time I think and be sure we have full support for what we are thinking of doing, which at this stage it does look like we have.

I've recieved one PM from a another willing volunteer for a smaller Barnstormer or a Mini Jazz. So that's great, but more needed.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/10/2013 13:38:00

Great stuff, so far (I hope folks don't mind me naming them now) we have:

Chris Bott - to support Tinker/Tyro

Danny Fenton - supporting Tinker or Bi-stormer (biplane version of the Barnstormer)

David Davis supporting the smaller barnstormer or a Mini Jazz

GrahamC - supporting the Pushy Cat

BEB - supporting Dawn Flyer

Others are very welcome on board - the more the better! - but its starting to look like we could at least have the bases covered. This is obviously a tentative list at present - and subject to change and refinement! Keep them coming guys.

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/10/2013 15:01:18:

Great stuff, so far (I hope folks don't mind me naming them now) we have:

Danny Fenton - supporting Tinker or Bi-stormer (biplane version of the Barnstormer)

BEB

BEB thats 45" Tinker AND 58" Bistormer, I am a glutton for punishment wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Looks like all you have to do now is make it all official. I'm sure all the voters will be happy with this solution. It's better than trying to find the "One size fits all". Plus there will be all the other variatons which will appear. Could be a bumper crop next year !

kevinb.

Me to Tony, I've already got the "Dawn flyer" plan so that'll be my two contributions to the fleet. I have to say the deal pack from DB Models looks like good value and the suggested power train looks lovely especially the wooden E prop though the motor and esc can prob be sourced cheaper

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks on 12/10/2013 18:07:40

Frankly I have to say that it takes so much time & effort to build a model from scratch that it's only practical to build something that will be useful to one's flying.
So I would only build a Barnstormer or perhaps a Mini Tyro from the top 5. I would build a Miss Lizzy, Flea fli, Stol, Rat out of Hell, another Swamp Rat,Chilli Breeze or Dragon Dancer of the less popular models if they are chosen.
I wouldn't build a Mini Jazz ( too small )or a Tyro ( dont need a trainer) or a Dawn Flyer.
Consequently I feel the Barnstormer is really the only practical 'one design' that would be a useful addition to anybodys fleet. ( you can choose the size to suit & the engine.) One should also take the extremely high cost of some plans into account - if you have not already got the plan some designs become so expensive. Barnstormer plan from DB is reasonable and ribs too. This is 2013 and many people are economising on non essentials like toy planes! So cost should be taken into account so that the maximum number of people take part.

Posted by kc on 12/10/2013 18:48:58:

Consequently I feel the Barnstormer is really the only practical 'one design' that would be a useful addition to anybodys fleet.

I'm sorry kc but surely this is the sort of reasoning that totally misses the point of the Mass Build. I can tell you that a Barnstormer would, most certainly, not be a particularly useful addittion to my fleet! And I suspect there are plenty of others who feel the same.

This statement may well be true for you - and that's great. This solution means you can take part and build the model you want and I'm really happy about that. But others too can take part and build the model they want - which (heaven forefend wink 2) might be different from yours!

Plenty of people will see the Tinker, or the Dawn Flyer, or the Mini Jazz etc. as "just what they need"! And that's the beauty of this solution - it respects a wide number of people's views surely? Each to their own, we all see it differently.

OK, moving on,....Going on the comments from folks in the posts above, where you are all making your plans, it looks like its decided then!

Five models go through,....everyone happy? If so, well done Chris for suggesting it!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/10/2013 19:14:24

at the risk of offending management, who are all jolly fine chaps in my experience wink. I don't think we should worry too much over where plans are sourced. I'm all for supporting My time media, who after all provide this forum, but not at the risk of losing a good plan from this event that has good support.

By the way as an aside who's watching the "classic british aircraft day" on the Discovery history channel (sky 535)

Phil

Posted by Lindsay Todd on 12/10/2013 18:30:21:

Looks like a larger version of Dawn Flyer might be born.

Thats exactly what I was thinking for version 2, maybe 80 odd inch span? or as close to 7kg as I dare, was still thinking of keeping it leccy though, would be interested in your thoughts for strengthening it for a model that size.