Mass Build general chat

Hi Dylan, it deserves a bit of thought to be honest but gut feel would be ply doublers and spruce rear end but I'll leave it till I have more time as I have a busy program for next year with 3 new designs and now a larger Dawn Flyer, I was not going to join in but given the support the model has had it seems only fitting that I do. Linds

Advert

I'm really glad that the increase in variety has gone down OK. The more I think about it, the more I think it's a good idea.

From the first round voting, a clear cut off point is after 5 models.

Just looking at the numbers again, if we include the top 5, then :-

1 Person had 4 of the top 5 in their choices.
15 people had 3 of the top 5
18 people had 2 of the top 5
24 people has one of the top 5.

That's 58 of the 65 who voted with at least one of their choices in the mass build. I think we'd really struggle to find a system to include more voters while keeping the number of different models still quite small.

Oh, and I shouldn't worry too much about models from other sources. The mass build isn't commercially driven, it's by us forum members, for us forum members. If it balances things up at all, I'm just looking at the Tyro plan which says:- Presented free with Radio Control Models and Electronics - Dec 1966.

BEB. I think you missed my point. That is selecting Barnstormer seemed more of a consensus than any other contender. I presumed that everyone would find a slow flying model handy at some time, something that could be used as a trainer or to give someone a trial flight yet still seem a bit scale and not appear to be a trainer.
If you feel a Barnstormer is not a useful addition to your fleet I cannot see any reason for you to build it! Waste of time & money. Better to build a real trainer and give it to a young beginner.

Posted by Richard Harris on 12/10/2013 19:16:54:

Just had a thought about the Pushy Cat, isn't it a Traplet plan? that would go down with the management!

I do think another low winger or fun fly type should be brought up to make it even,??

Rich

There's always Vic Smeed's alternative Pushy Cat, RCM&E plan code PET 528. wink 2

I have two questions:

1. Are we agreed that the 2014 Mass Build should involve the building of any of the models which finished in the top five places in the recent poll?
  2. If we decide to adopt that strategy, why don't we start building now?

If we allow five models to participate in the Mass Build we'll get many more participants.

If we start the build straight away, that gives modellers more time to complete their models in time for Greenacres. How many Webbitts, vintage models and Tucanos were started but not completed in time?

Come on lads let's go for it!

When the next, final, round starts, it would be nice to have a bit more information available than the first round. There is a good reason from my perspective.

The first issue was I was totally wrong on what the Pushy Cat is. I saw it as a Vic Smeed design. Being honest I was horrified at the idea. There being one in our club, which would not fly properly, that I wanted, because it seemed such a challenge. Totally destroyed before I could get hold of it. Then I find out that it is a conceptually so different in the build and performance envelope. Then I for one, do not know what a Mini Jazz is, not really. Getting hold of the wrong end of the stick, can be amusing, in some respects. Yet in the context of making informed decisions, more than unfortunate. So perhaps a picture of each model would be useful.

Together with:

More information, it would be useful to know from where the plan is available.

Some information with respect to what the build involves. Taking the Barnstormer as an extreme example, essentially a big build project. Others seem simple, low material content projects, at the other end of the line.

Finally, what is required to build the model, such as Piano wire for say cabanes, UC. What size engine / motor is needed. Are canopies available, if needed. Does it need the total output of Solar Span to cover it.

Edited By Erfolg on 13/10/2013 16:35:49

To be fair Erfolg I feel I got most of this info from the links in the nominations catalogue thread with just one example having no link if I recall correctly, ok the complexity of each design wasn't covered and I mustn't forget that not everyone can look at a picture of a model and judge that for themselves, but surely a lot of discussion on this aspect went on in the associated chat thread.

Just my opinion to be fair

Phil

The Mods will correct me if I'm wrong Mike but looking at the preceding comments on Chris Botts idea that we put the whole top 5 through and build our choice from them I think the building will start fairly soon.

Hopefully I will be on the 1st of my chosen 2 (Barnstormer 63 and Dawn flyer) early December, and given Lindsay's recent build article on the Dawn flyer it strikes me the Barnstormer is the one most likely to need an early start by someone with some experience, I hesitate to call myself a "Master builder", Cos I aint lol

​Phil

Erfolg could I ask - do you ever read a thread before you post?

Let's take a couple of your points.

1. You didn't know which models you were voting for. BEB spent an awful lot of time researching this and producing a thread with one post per model, each of which had a link to the supplier or a photo or plan of said model.

2. "When the final, next round starts.." We are now into page five of a discussion about how we proceed after round one, a lot of which has been discussing the idea of using ALL of the top 5 models in the mass build. The vast majority of posts have expressed agreement with this idea as the best way forward. So assuming there is no major dissent, I think we'll declare this as the format of the 2014 Mass build, sometime this evening. In which case, there will be no further round of voting.

As for producing details of what required for any given model, who are you expecting to do this?
This is a mass participation event organised by all of, for all of us. There will be builders who set off before others. For those that don't have the knowledge or experience of a particular model, I suggest sitting back and watching the progress of early builders. If that's not soon enough, then maybe use google, or contact kit sellers. The same research that any of the rest of us would do.

Posted by Greybeard on 13/10/2013 17:18:12:

I'm in front of you on that one. wink

Ordered mine so lets hope its not premature lol sourced all the hardware too, all Turnigy, as is the intended 4s bty and the finishing touch a JXF Beechwood E prop, thats just got to be the prettiest prop for an oldtimer

Phil

Edited By Phil Winks on 13/10/2013 18:07:17