A place for Pushy Cat builders to hang out

GrahamC

Well, it's been a while since I last flew mine, but I certainly don't remember it being particularly noisy.

Most of the noisy ones you're probably thinking of - like the Zagi - have the prop immediately behind the trailing edge of the wing and that seems to be the cause of much of the noise. You'll see the PC has the prop well back from the wing.

Tim, if you're going to buy a new RX and you're thinking of fitting a gyro, take a look at this special offer from Hobbyking - £9.89 for a combined RX/Gyro. I'm thinking it might save some space in a relatively small fuselage.

**LINK**

Ian

PS   I hope you've still got your Red Bull markings available.   Your Pushy Cat looks the business.

Edited By IanR on 20/10/2013 10:03:59

Posted by IanR on 19/10/2013 23:32:34:

Having read that the Pushy Cat handles high winds very well I'm very tempted. However, I really don't like the high pitched screaming sound of some of the pusher prop jet types I've heard.

Is the Pushy Cat very noisy?

Ian

hello ian..............the only high pitched noisy one's that I have seen are the one's that have an inrunner fitted turning the tiny 5*5/ish props......revving their round things off....... !

ken aderson ne..1.....round things dept....

Pushy Cat builders,

I have made a quick drawing of the formers for the fuselage, the PDF file is located HERE , it is at the top of my blog page just under the photograph of the three models.

If anyone would mind printing out and checking that the dimensions are correct that would be great as at the moment I have no printer ink!

Rich

Richard, on my printer the left hand side of your drawing doesn't get printed - its too close to the edge of the paper - so the left hand side of your 100mm scale is missing.

I rotated the drawing by 180 degs and now the right hand edge of the lower fuselage doubler is missing from the drawing. But now the 100mm scale is in full view - though according to my ruler and printer its (at a guess, about) 0.2 mm too short.

Posted by IanR on 20/10/2013 14:38:14:

Richard, on my printer the left hand side of your drawing doesn't get printed - its too close to the edge of the paper - so the left hand side of your 100mm scale is missing.

I rotated the drawing by 180 degs and now the right hand edge of the lower fuselage doubler is missing from the drawing. But now the 100mm scale is in full view - though according to my ruler and printer its (at a guess, about) 0.2 mm too short.

When I print as A4 the scale comes out at 88mm!

Bob, as Ian said, you get a choice of 'scaling to fit' or 'actual size' when printing - I nearly missed it!

Printed "actual size" on my HP Officejet 6500A Plus it prints the entire page OK, and the 100mm scale is only fractionally out - unlike Ian, on my printer it's a fraction of a mm too long. But that's still a lot more accurate than my cutting/building! (And anyway, my PushyCat is already built, it just needs re-building. Again...)

Try this,

To have it print correct select print from the PDF reader and look in the Page Handling section. Make sure the Page scaling part says either 100% or None and auto rotate/centre is not ticked.

After making sure this is correct use printer settings to make sure print orientation is correct and it will print out at correct size.

Rich

One other "gotcha" I recently discovered with printers (well, mine anyway!) is that if I select the "automatic double sided" print option then the printer very kindly - and without mentioning it - shrinks the print size slightly... Apparently it's so that the paper-handling mechanism to switch the paper round doesn't smudge what's just been printed.

That had me tearing my hair out trying to work out why labels that previously printed out ok were misaligned as you went down and across the page, and all because I'd recently made double-sided printing the default. D'Oh!

I have read through all the posts.

I now have my Pushy Cat drawing, read your comments with respect to high flying speed.

After some consideration, it is my intention to go the NACA 0010 route, as per the link. I am torn between a Depron glass clothed wing or a built up wing. I am looking for a lower minimum speed, whilst willing to sacrifice ultimate speed.

Rather than use a single servo with torque rods, in the wing, I intended at the present to use two 5g servos. With top linkages as advised for a foam AT 6 by some unrecorded hero on this site, as it really does save servos.

I am not sure why I need RH plots, although for me they have not come out with the 100mm being 100mm, I will try again. as I cannot find the file for the PDF window.

I will probably go for the HK 2825, although I have an innrunner that may be suitable.

There are a number of questions.

• Do the fins benefit from tow in, as it complicates the build to incorporate.
  • Is there any benefit at all from the built up fins as per the link? Mainly because the material saved is little, and this could be replaced by the weight of the glue that would be needed?

The RH canard really looks the dogs dangly bits. When will this be published. Many years ago I built a slope soarer, a canard called the Enigma that looked a little similar. It used a rolled ply fuz, if any one remembers it. The RH canard looks better, I am guessing a lot smaller than the approx 60" span

Edited By Erfolg on 20/10/2013 21:40:30

Posted by Erfolg on 20/10/2013 21:28:27:

The RH canard really looks the dogs dangly bits. When will this be published. Many years ago I built a slope soarer, a canard called the Enigma that looked a little similar. It used a rolled ply fuz, if any one remembers it. The RH canard looks better, I am guessing a lot smaller than the approx 60" span

Erf,

Unfortunately my canard didn't reach the grade and has been rejected for publication, a shame as it is a cracking flier.

Rich