A place for Pushy Cat builders to hang out

GrahamC

Ian... those HS55's will be fine as long as you don't go stupid with the power. 3 cells and up to 300 watts should be fine. It is after all a very small elevator indeed.

I shall be using a nice thin tail and carving the wings to the profile in the plan... as it works really well! As KC said the capacity to float in with wings that are basically sanded balsa planks is remarkable!

We are on page 4 of this thread... has any balsa been cut yet?! [My excuse is that the plan hasn't arrived yet!]wink

To spur on the non starters, Los! as we say in Wigan.

plan2.jpg

As I have previously written I have drawn up the wing, to NACA 0010. Using Profili to print out the sections, which were then mounted onto thick card and cut out.

I have now made two sets of ribs, you can see I had missed out two in the picture, this omission is now amended.

Now this is your chance to either get further ahead or catch up, as over the next few days little if any progress will be made.

Erfolg, looking at the photo of your drawing and ribs, I suddenly realise that you won't be joining the two wing halves with a dihedral brace type of thing. So how will you join the two halves together?

Just so you know, I like your idea of 2 aileron servos in a built up wing for exactly the reasons you have mentioned and the fact that you are prepared to sacrifice top speed for low speed stability etc. So I will be watching your progress very keenly.

The only thing that concerns me is would this have any detrement to the Pushy Cat's ability in high winds - I wouldn't want to lose that.

When I built a TH Cleansweep, I used a triangular brace.

However my recent background has been gliders, at one time competition types, that is high stress, towline & winch launching.

What perhaps initially surprised me is that many outboard panels, had no dihedral braces, being simply diaphragm fixing, that is wing rib to wing rib. Given that a typical wing tip would be in excess of the half span of the Pushy Cat, why not on a Pushy Cat.

So all that was a long way of saying, I will be relying on a diaphragm joint.

Graham C, just sent you a MS. Apologies for not seeing yours earlier.

Everyone else, I'm watching you all because I won't be building for a while, so I'll let you do the donkey work and nick all of your good ideas.

Wolston, it's not a delta mate, it's a swept wing. However, if you leave the tail booms off, increase the sweep to about 45 degrees, fill in the triangular notch between the trailing edges and you'll certainly have a delta! As there's room for improvisation and different ideas, you can do it!

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 22/10/2013 21:54:26:

Wolston, it's not a delta mate, it's a swept wing. However, if you leave the tail booms off, increase the sweep to about 45 degrees, fill in the triangular notch between the trailing edges and you'll certainly have a delta! As there's room for improvisation and different ideas, you can do it!

Haha, yes of course it is a swept wing - wrong choice of word on my part! embarrassed

I looks that KC is planning a big Pushy. Not only that, it seems it is going to be skinned, could it be Depron, Blue Foam, Built up wing, or what?

I started my build last night! That is almost started. I found that my wing building board is not wide enough for a complete wing. Going to bed I was thinking that there would be no alternative than to build the wing in two halves then join them. By morning I had another possible plan.

I am at present renovating a house for my daughters, there are some work top left over which is destined for some one else. However there are some of cuts, of no use to man nor beast, or that is what I thought, as they were put out for disposal. One of these pieces is now my building board for the Pushy.

So I am starting, Los!

Erfolg, I too have lots of off-cuts of kitchen type worktop (600mm wide) and peninsula (900mm wide) and there isn't a flat one amongst the lot of them. Also lots and lots of melamine and veneer covered shelving and, again, not a flat one to be seen.

Did you check your new Pushy building board for flatness with a straight edge?

Ian

The observation that not all boards are flat is exactly why I have two building boards, on is for wings the other for bodies (a building jig).

You can just about see the deep beams reinforcing the board to resist warping.

In this case the worktop is flat, it certainly is not ideal. The surface will not take pins. I have resorted to using wood screws and blocks to keep and hold things in place. That is in conjunction with mixed weights etc. You are so right, I would not advocate work top, but needs must.

Chris

I have considered Plasterboard as a building surface, In my case as a temporary, sacrificial surface on top of my stable building board. In the end I have decided against it as my building board for wings, weights a lot and takes up quite a bit of space. My building jig uses triangles and bolts to keep everything where wanted.

I am not however convinced that unsupported that Plaster board is, or remains flat. Seeing it stacked even builders merchants it takes on the wave that "Airy or Bessel Points" were meant to minimise.

The more pertinent reason is that all the waste plaster board made it to the skip.

Good one Erfolg. As with the Tucano build, we will get the chance to look for observable differences in flight characteristics between the flat plate and built up wings.

Nowhere near to starting mine yet because I'm determined to break my deadly habit of starting new projects before I finish the last one. Now I can't move for them, so that's got to change and I'm sticking to chronological order. What's more I am determined to up my flying practice because I should be better than I am.

Therefore it will be some time, but it will be done.