Mini Jazz builders hangout.

Kevin Fairgrieve

• 4 years later...

Thought I'd update the thread, as it's been a few years since I last posted on here!

I passed my A cert for fixed wing, then (due to a friend at work) ended up passing my A cert for rotary too. I got to flipping my heli inverted, but after the guy who taught me 'retired', my flying got no better, so I switched backed to mostly fixed wing a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately, Covid and doing a house up got in the way of flying, but I recently resurrected my old electric Mini Jazz and really enjoyed flying it!

So, I'm tempted to build another and tidy the electric one up, but I'm not sure whether to go IC or electric again. The rest of my fleet is electric, but IC would be nice as I don't have to plan charging a load of lipos up.

Anybody else still flying their Jazz?

I acquired my Jazz maybe 15 years ago  from a clubmate and put an OS 25 in it . However it was so squirrelly on the take off run that it was damaged and then it had to be hand launched. On our club becoming electric only I converted it and it now  is easy to take off but I can't see why there could be such a big difference.

15 hours ago, john davidson 1 said:

I acquired my Jazz maybe 15 years ago  from a clubmate and put an OS 25 in it . However it was so squirrelly on the take off run that it was damaged and then it had to be hand launched. On our club becoming electric only I converted it and it now  is easy to take off but I can't see why there could be such a big difference.

Same CG?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Dave Mitchell said:

Heres one I’ve just made from leftovers after reading all the posts in here. I lengthed the nose for electric, and skinned the inside of the fus in 1/16 ply. It came out just shy of 800 grams. A few small jobs left to do but a fun build. Thanks for sharing the tips

D73AFA6F-2AD8-4AEA-9753-D42868B08C4A.jpeg

7F8020A1-4BC1-40E8-A99D-3A1BAC6DB8ED.jpeg

1DB55A8B-705F-4BAF-9937-74B54579C2DB.jpeg

77B1FBE2-A14D-4F66-AAA4-D63C5953B6BA.jpeg

9E7C87A5-8386-4295-90C8-FFA8AA76D0EA.jpeg

DEE51490-9F21-4A50-9FB7-6AC5F1D9F33E.jpeg

Is that a DIY carbon u/c?  If so, more info please! ?  I assume that's a form in the background, but what cloth, resin, etc. did you use?  (I need a replacement for a de-laminating Carbon Copy u/c, bu they no longer make the size I want)

That looks good Sparks,

The carbon UC was just the process from the rcm&e mini jazz article. I used some 15 year old resin and cloth and baked it in the bbq, it came out ok, just waiting on some nylon bolts to attach it and the wing. If i made another id foil tape the former and pull a strip of mylar over the top to make both sides shiny but it works ok

7860DAEA-97E3-4D8A-A86C-4B7AF0C4CCEA.jpeg

59672CBD-620F-4634-A4DD-9D3633F7E8E3.jpeg

0DE7387D-B4FB-4E99-8B4A-84AF068D4DFE.jpeg

• Thanks 1

That under carriage is spot on, I was thinking of making a set myself with some resin I have left.

I made a vac former and managed to make a decent canopy (must post the pics up), and am currently making a balsa engine cowl that I'll use as a plug to vac form too.

I bought some clear vac forming sheet, If the cowl comes out ok, I may invest in some white plastic.

Good to see that the mini jazz is still about! I'm currently refurbishing an old electric one  I had in the loft for several years!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a go at making some CF undercarriage, but had a couple of issues.

Firstly, the carbon fibre cloth kept falling apart at the edges so I ended up with a 40mm wide piece that I had to trim down when the resin had cured.

Secondly, even with 5 layers and 2 extra layers at the fixing point, it was very thin.

What type of cloth did you use and how did you stop it fraying?

Thanks