Mini Jazz builders hangout.

Kevin Fairgrieve

Thanks Jamie & John HK servos on order. yes

Does anyone have an image of the first formers in the Fuz they can share pls?

I want to try rebuilding as the 2nd half is OK but I've not got the plans to hand.

I had an OS10 [came as a job lot with the 15] so I can strip broken bits off that and get the MJ back in the air.

Parts not available for the Os 15 FP - too old!

Cheers

Martin

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

img_20150710_083200.jpg

Before and after the rebuild. I also found a new location for the switch so it does not weaken the fuselages side. (Not that it would have changed anything in the last crash J )

During the crash investigation it was discovered that two of the nylon geared servos were stripped. One aileron and the elevator. Of course it could have happened in the crash but it is better for my self-esteem to believe that one of it stripped just before the crash. I have now replaced all my nylon geared servos with metal geared one.

B.

• 3 weeks later...

Maidened the Mini Jazz on Friday, there was a 10-12mph wind gusting upto 16mph!

Well, it flew amazingly! The new motor was a little too rich, but the thing flew really well considering its size.

I only flew for 4 mins as I'm working out how long a tank of fuel will last, but I was glad to bring it down with only a single bounce.

The only memories I have (apart from a dry mouth) are it being really responsive and powerful compared to my electric version. Hopefully, I'll fly it again next week and see how she flies on full rates.

Ian.

Well done Ian. The first flight of any new model is always a memorable (or not) one.

If it is of any help I have the timer set to 5 minutes on both my Mini Jazz.

Plenty of height for the first time with full rates, sticks in the corners and go for it.

This is the result of sticks in the corners and not enough height.

Soon rebuilt and still flying 3 years later.

Kev

• 1 year later...

Almost 3 years on and I am just about to get started on my Mini Jazz build (I know I am a slacker but 3 house moves conspired against me!!).

I am building from the MHS plan which shows the wing and tail feathers both constructed at an incidence of about 4 degrees. Looking back through the various forum threads I can see a number of different views expressed on this subject and I was wondering whether a firm consensus ever emerged on the best approach?

My inclination is the leave the wing as shown on the plan but modify the tail feathers to 0 degrees incidence. Did anyone build and successfully fly the Mini Jazz as per the MHS plan with 4 degrees on wing & tail feathers?

All views, information & experiences on the topic gratefully received.

Thanks.

John

Edited By John Roberts 9 on 09/09/2016 16:17:51

Hi John,

I'm a slacker too, my excuse is house extension, decorating, life etc.

I did ask the question of the man himself, Malcolm Corbin, via the members email. His reply was:-

"The plan in the mag was drawn wrong. I set tail at zero!!"

So, that is what I have done.

I have just covered my Mini Jazz and hope to have it completed and maidened in a couple of weeks if the wind ever drops below gale force!

Good luck your Mini Jazz.

Sparks

• 4 months later...

Well it finally got finished! Hoping to maiden it tomorrow.

All up weight with a 2200 3S installed is 800 grams.

I decided to make it a belly lander in the end, hence the top mounted aileron servos.

I found that getting everything neatly packed into the tiny space available (especially with such a relatively large LIPO) was pretty challenging. Even with the battery pushed as far back as it will go I still needed to add 20g to the tail to get the CoG right.

I still have to sort out the cowl but that can wait until after it has been test flown.

There are a few more photos in my album.

img_0975.jpgimg_0981.jpg

img_0973.jpgimg_0979.jpg

img_1030 (2).jpg

On a grey Dumfries Sunday morning it flew!

Even with quite modest control throws it proved to be very lively on the sticks and required a generous dollop of expo to calm it down. I have also added a touch more downthrust too (yet to be tested). Even at half throttle it is fast and borderline insane at full throttle but it is also very happy to potter along at gentle canter too.