Mini Jazz builders hangout.

Kevin Fairgrieve

Posted by Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 20/10/2013 17:22:27:

Well the bench has been tidied & all the parts brought out from their various hiding places.....thumbs up

Just poring over the plan it seems a pretty straightforward build...I intend to angle the ASP at 45 degrees so the silencer exits underneath the fuselage. & I'll probably build up a cowl around the engine rather than fit the moulded version.

Where I am confused however is the slot cut for the tailplane (I have the MHS CNC cut wood pack).....it has significant positive incidence. The plan appears to show it at zero relative to the wing....any ideas whats going on?

Also a couple of other questions to Mini Jazz builders.....what tank did you fit & where did you source the U/C??

Good man Steve.

My Mini Jazz has the engine at 45 degrees and the Maxi Jazz at 90 degrees (inverted).

Confusion abounds around the tail incidence. Both of my examples were built from the free pull out plan which has 0 degree incidence. Both have flown fine on this with only minor trim changes. I have not seen a copy of the plan from MHS so can only assume that there has been as change since first publication.

Sexy carbon undercarriage from Carbon Copy. Second item down on this page.

Tank fitted to mine is a square SLEC 4oz tank. First item on this page. I found that I had to make a small modification to to the wing to get the tank to fit. It just requires the removal of the sheeting and a small section of the leading edge as in this picture.

Kev

Posted by Robin Kearney on 21/10/2013 13:43:20:

I can feel myself giving into temptation and re-arranging my build schedule. I've ordered the plan this morning

Has anybody got a wood list? I'm hoping I can do this from stock.

r.

Wood requirements are minimal.

1 sheet 12" x 12" 1/8th liteply

2 sheets of 3/16th VERY SOFT sheet 3 or 4" your choice for the fus sides.

1 sheet 1/4" soft again sheet size is your choice. For the top rear fuz.

1 sheet 3/16th medium for aelirons rudder and elevator. I used the SLEC stripper to make the strip from this for the flying surfaces. Also used for fus longerons.

1 sheet 3/16 3 or 4" again your choice. For the fus bottom sheeting.

1 or 2 sheets 1/16 again your choice for ribs and cockpit sheeting.

Plus other minor scraps from your stock, for cap strips etc.

All are from memory (and a quick look at the plan).

I think that is about it.

Of course it will be up to you to make sure you get what you need. I know I will need the VERY SOFT for the fuz sides. Other than that all in stock.

It aint going to cost a fortune.cool

Kev

Hello I have had a Mini Jazz for many years , and always been pleased with it .

I bought it 6 years ago at Wings and Wheels , and put a OS15 LA in it. That seems about the right power ..

and almost as quiet as electric . The cowl was a problem , but for ease of access I put the engine the right way up.

Yellow is the colour of my true love's wings.......

Peter

( Picture to follow)

Posted by Robin Kearney on 21/10/2013 22:21:12:

Thanks Kevin, if you have the plan handy, what are the spars in the wing made from? I've just had a look in the pile of balsa upstairs and I think I'm good so far.

Been looking up that UC you used, looks very nice. I'm quite tempted by one of those.

r.

Spars are from 1/4" balsa. Use your own discretion as to the grade.

If I recall correctly I used 1/4" spruce on mine. I defianatly did on my Maxi Jazz, and added a further spar on the top as well.

Kev

Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 23/10/2013 06:28:15:

Just need to learn to fly and find where this greenacres place is?...

Finding Greenacres will be slightly easier wink 2

Also, don't forget you need to have your BMFA "A" Certificate to fly if my memory serves me correctly..

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 23/10/2013 06:28:37

Posted by Ian Southerton 1 on 23/10/2013 12:48:28:

I'm pretty sure i won't get my a cert by then unless we have some amazing weather and i can find somebody to instruct me, however, it's not far at all as i live in solihull, so pending poor weather, will hopefully come and give my support!

Ian.

Ian.

I took and passed my "A" at a fly in many years ago. There are usually a few examiners at these kind of events. No pressure I was told just do it in front of 60+ fellow flyers.

Kev

That sounds like it took some strong nerves!

I been to a couple of local clubs, but most of the members are retired and go during the week when i'm working, also the fields they use aren't confidence inspiring as they'te surrounded by tall trees!

I need to find a large open field-there's a club at an airfield about 25 miles away at long marston, but i'd struggle to get there tegularly....

Anyway, i enjoy building and will be quite happy to watch if the weather is dry!

Ian.

Turning my attention to the ancillary items required.

Servo`s.

My original Jazz has Hitec HS81s all round. These have been ultra reliable and performed fine. I am undecided on which to use this time. With the advent of many smaller, cheaper servo`s than was available even just 5 years ago in 2009 when I built my first Jazz I am spoilt for choice. Any suggestions? Oh and they really need to be able to withstand 6 volts.

RX.

RX space is not really an issue, I just used the open space of the cockpit. Great when I had a painted canopy, but since the "re kitting" I am just using a "pop bottle" canopy. I intend to make my own this time round as previously described, so again no issue as I intend to use a "dark" "pop bottle". OK its going to be either a green or brown Cider bottle.smiley I have the luxury of 2 choices of radio system and the RX choice will depend on price and availability nearer the time. System one is a Spektrum DX7s, and system two is a Spektrum DX7 converted to Frsky, with an internal 2 way telemetry "hack" module.

Battery.

Space is at a premium in the nose and I needed the battery all the way up front on top of the fuel tank to achieve the correct CofG. In the MK1 Jazz I use a 4.8V2/3AAA 400mAh square pack this time round I am going for and already have a 6V 2/3AAA 400mAh hump pack.

Undercarriage.

Carbon copy as on both my Mini and Maxi Jazz. Here.

Horns and Hinges.

No need for anything to fancy here. Standard size should suffice I think. Well they have done so far.

Snakes.

From SLEC and just standard light weight one`s.

Any one else given any thought as to there setup?

Oh by the way. I am off to SLEC tomorrow for that VERY SOFT balsa.

Kev

Interesting, i lack loads of experience compared to yourself, but hs81's have worked well for you and i've never had problems with them, it'd be interstimg to try some cheaper units, but is it worth the risk?

I used so cheap micro servos on my 3Dhummer and the gears stripped, so now use hs55's.

Will be interesting to see how the electric versions differ in power trains.

I'm planning on using these servos all round, unless anybody thinks they won't be up to the job? I've not ordered them yet so I have time to change my mind.

Mine will have to be electric, which is a shame because I have a spare OS 10FP sitting here. I'll probably go for the Hobby King G10 (or G15 if I'm feeling the need for some more power) motor and a 40A ESC. I've used the G25 in my Pulse and it works perfectly so I'm happy to do the same again.

Battery will be a 3S, hopefully I can reuse some of the 2200 packs I've free'ed up now I'm not flying my 450 heli. Otherwise I'll have to figure out what is the biggest pack I can get in there.

r.

Last model complete just waiting for the right weather so I have an empty building board.... plus Mini Jazz plan ......... plus SLEC wood pack. Just oiled my OS 10 & 15, they are itching to go.

I've used cheapo servos and won't any more. When I spend the time building & fettling why risk it to save a few quid?

So trusty Hitec's for me - HS 81's. When you compare the quality sound and movement of a good servo compared to a lower quality one there is no choice if you plan to fly the model more than a dozen times. [In my view wink]

Bad weather forecast this weekend so I'll be bending over the building board... watch this space.

Kev....Just a thought.....a step by step would be nice considering we're trying to encourage people to build. Plus some of us would like to copy!!.

Andrew

P.S. Havn't started yet as i'm still trying to mortgage the house to buy the canopy and cowl, plus they want £10 p+p!!!!!!!!!!!!!................Ooouch!!!

Posted by John Roberts 9 on 19/10/2013 08:36:45:
Posted by Ian Jones on 18/10/2013 18:23:54:

Mini Jazz

Mine was originally built by someone else for IC and I rather uncharacteristically converted it to electric. As you can see it needed a lot of weight on the front. Some years ago now and can't remember what the problems were except that it seemed rather unpredictable. It showed the same weak spot a Kevins did in a hard landing though the damage was less serious on mine. I passed it on to someone into electric flight but haven't seen it since.

So I too would recommend beefing up the fus above the wing and it may also be worth planning ahead re weight distribution.

Ian

Hello Ian

Thanks for the photo and comments.

It does look like it is carrying lots of lead ballast at the front. Do you have any recollection of the motor/ESC/battery combo you used?

On the face of it the heavier motor suggested by Sparks LINK might be the preferred choice for my build.

Cheers,

John

Hi John,

Sorry for the delay - been away for a week. Struggling with the power spec, it was certainly nothing special. To the best of my memory I think the motor was a 2418 17Kv, 24(thereabouts)amp black mantis ESC and 3s 2200 squeezed in behind the fire wall (hence all the RX gear in the cockpit). The propeller was an E-APC but I don't recall the size.

Might be an idea to build it first, then find out how much weight is required to balance it and choose a motor battery combo to suit.

Not very helpful, sorry.

Ian