Mini Jazz builders hangout.

Kevin Fairgrieve

I’m sorry for your mishap Kev, good to see it fixed.

I would go easy on the EXPO. I tried it on my FF-117 and the experience was something like, nothing – nothing – everything. I had to spend quite a lot of time searching for that model in a nearby stinging nettle field.

Posted by Jamie sawyer on 01/08/2014 21:44:01:

John there is nothing wrong with your colour scheme. I think it looks good. I got an email today that the plan was on its way to me. Fingers crossed its here tomorrow. As a rule of thumb what engine are you guys using ?? Is it 10s ,12s or 15 Ic engines ??

Thanks

I´m using a .15, I had from an older model. The CG came out fine without any extra weight. I've only used 8x4 prop but perhaps it can manage 9x4.

B.

Posted by john stones 1 on 01/08/2014 22:57:05:

Its electric lads a g15 950 kv...motor, claims to be equivalent to 15 i.c using a 10x 6 prop

Mine has servo's at rear for rudder and elevator it balances no problemsmiley

John

I just looked at the G15 motor, I am very tempted to go all electric. I dont have a 15 Ic lying around so need to make the decision on that!!

I do have 2 or 3 2200 3s lying about though. I like the idea about the servos at the rear to. No snakes....just direct links to the horns. I'm going to try and keep this one tidy and use transparent film on this one laughbut that may change due to my wonderful building skills blush...I'll let you know how it goes and add some pics once I'm getting into the nitty gritty

Jamie

Plan arrived today, 5 stars to a quick postage on that one!!!!

Wood list made and ordered this morning..smiley

Formers are in the making as wee type laugh

I see what all the talk is about regarding the tail vs wing incidence....plus 1 deg down thrust on the engine former. It all looks a bit strange on paper but onwards and upwards we will go. Clearly it flies and well at that so look forward to progressing on this one. I'll post a picture once it's covered

Posted by Birgir on 01/08/2014 22:37:06:

I’m sorry for your mishap Kev, good to see it fixed.

I would go easy on the EXPO. I tried it on my FF-117 and the experience was something like, nothing – nothing – everything. I had to spend quite a lot of time searching for that model in a nearby stinging nettle field.

I have never before used EXPO, always relying on my sensitive feel. In this case I think lowering the rates will be my first port of call then EXPO.

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 02/08/2014 16:54:05

Posted by Jamie sawyer on 01/08/2014 21:44:01:

As a rule of thumb what engine are you guys using ?? Is it 10s ,12s or 15 Ic engines ??

Thanks

Jamie of my two in the picture above, the older one on the right uses an SC.15 and the newer one on the left uses an SC.12.

There is not much difference between the two performance wise.

Kev

Well done Jamie, I'm sure you'll like it. I think rear mounted servos will be fine - I ended putting a little weight at the tail to balance mine, although I did use a 15 size engine.

You've been a bit quick off the mark but I was going to recommend making 2 at the same time because (a) the wood is cheap (b) it's easy to build so you could make an IC and an electric.

PS I wouldn't try flying mine without Expo. Even on low rates, this plane is very sensitive (and fun!)

Edited By Masher on 02/08/2014 17:00:16

Congratulations John, have you flown it yet?

Mine is 982 gr without fuel so it is probably around 2 lb 6 oz with full tank (4 fl oz)
or about 1080 gr. (Sorry I’m not too familiar with pound and ounces).

I use 0.15 two stroke, so the difference in weight is probably not that much.

Birgir

Mines a not a minijazz ladswink I drew it up by asking w/span etc. The fuzz is a little longer and tail end a bit bigger.

Funds were tight and I thought the plan expensive..(i'm tight embarrassed) also bought a Taranis, so I've got to set it up on that, with Gary's help will fly it this weekend. BMI is bang on Masher..i wrote 2lb 12 oz on the plan. Greenacres Iqon i'm hoping to do the weekend next year, felt like I missed out just doing the Sunday.

John

wp_20140810_001[1].jpg

Thought I'd add a small amount of progress. Theres been plenty pictures etc so I'll keep it basic.

wp_20140812_001[1].jpg

wp_20140812_003[1].jpg

Little bit of work on the wings still to be done but all in all I'm very nearly there. Blue and white colours with a splash of yellow maybe. It's just the colours I have lying around. The undercarrage mounting seems awful far forward to me. I was planning on putting a ply reinforced plate just behind the leading edge of the wing. Can anyone see this as a problem ???

For info, mine weighs 0.91kg with an SC15 and 8x6 prop. It isn't overpowered, but it is lively.

My undercarriage was made from wire but mounted more or less as per plan - see my build blog. It's fine where it is. No sign of ground looping although its a bit twitchy on rudder on take off as you can probably imagine.

Martyn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very Nice Nev, Here is my one. I've just a canopy to screw on, cowel and buy the U.c and fit it. Decided electric in the end after buying an engine etc lol.

wp_20140902_001[1].jpg

Top photo above and a view of underneath below

wp_20140902_002[1].jpg

I did fly my one tonight....notice the broken prop ..!!

It was very pitchy so I'll be adding a small amount of lead in the nose. CoG is maybe a quarter inch back from where it should be but the 1 minute of flight I had was very much fun. This is going to be a brilliant frost morning hack laugh