The Dawn Flyer's Club House

Hello Chaps and Chapesses!

Well I thought us gentlemen and lady pioneers of early flight deserved something a bit classier than these questionable dens with all their flashing disco lights etc. frequented by the trendy young things with their Push Cats and Mini Jazz's!

So welcome, the stewart will get you a Pyms, and we can talk real aeroplanes!

Chin-chin!

BEB

What's going on this year? everybody seems to start early! Has Greenacres been moved to Christmas eve?

Well - may be I should start soon as I missed last years mass build - even having purchased the complete wood pack. I look forward to BEBs professional advice - the first one we already got - to get ourselves a Pyms (or was it a Pimm's?)

Will purchase the wood pack, the rest I will find in my own bits collection.

VA

Posted by Vecchio Austriaco on 16/10/2013 20:27:35:

What's going on this year? everybody seems to start early! Has Greenacres been moved to Christmas eve?

Well - may be I should start soon as I missed last years mass build - even having purchased the complete wood pack. I look forward to BEBs professional advice - the first one we already got - to get ourselves a Pyms (or was it a Pimm's?)

Will purchase the wood pack, the rest I will find in my own bits collection.

VA

Vecchio,

Downstairs, in my cellar, is the unfinished Barnstormer that was started as a contribution the mass build two years ago.

Please don't ask. The answer would involve a mother-in-law, gardening, amateur dramatics, computer programming, ukuleles, pear and Mars Bar Cakes, beer, whisky, gin, ginger beer, and currently building work,

I am very tempted to build a Dawn flyer.

... and a ...

... and a Dumas Aeronca kit, but that is another story.

as is the Dumas Dragon Rapide..

DAWN FLYER! Concentrate!

Get the Barnstormer in the air first?

Who knows what I will do when I can get the building work finished.?

P

Edited By Plummet on 18/10/2013 21:34:58

No, BEB. No.

I can't wait 'till Christmas. The building work is in my building area - a new window. It's just that I have had to move everything around in there to give access, so I have no room to do any actual balsa-bashing.

Plummet

p.s. ... and I have just finished making a voodoo doll and a murder weapon. Don't tell anyone.

@Plummet: My situation is not so much different from yours - I have packed up all my stuff because of moving house - and now we face a 4 - 6 weeks delay. But I could convince my new general manager for private issues to unpack my unfinished stuff and do some building work. I also told her that I need a Dawnflyer to participate to the next mass build. And I got the propmt reply " this is exactly what you said last year - and where is this plane?"

Being lucky - she will put the dawnflyer wood pack under the tree.

Just odered the woodpacks.

VA

Posted by John Fontana on 20/10/2013 09:26:40:

Weel, I am a novice builder and looks like I am posting the first cry for help!

The plans show formers F1 and F1A, F2 and F2A, etc etc. in close proximity. Does this mean they are glued back to back for, say, increased strength.

Hi John

If you take a look at my build blog you will see what I have done, F1 and F1a are glued back to back for a stronger motor mount, but F2 and F2a are not, as I read it F2a is the former for the front of the canopy hatch and so shouldn't be glued together. Hope this helps.

Posted by Dylan Reynolds on 20/10/2013 10:03:48:

What weight does your 6fter come in at woetc?

Hi Dylan, I'm actually waiting as we speak for a set of digital luggage scales from eBay. Knowing that they're on the way I hadn't actually weighed it as yet. I'm propped for about 600watts and that provided plenty of power.

I'll see if I can put it on to the bathroom scales tomorrow (its late here in Oz) and let you know roughly. Will post some photos of the two of them together. Cheers, Rob.

John - and everyone else! - don't forget we do have at least one completed build blog of a Dawn Flyer to refer to - ie Lindsay's blog of the build of the prototype! You can find this here.

Its possible that Linds may a have changed a few details on the plan as a result of his experiences building the prototype - but it will be substantially the same. Maybe Linds could advise if there are any changes?

BEB

"John - and everyone else! - don't forget we do have at least one completed build blog of a Dawn Flyer to refer to - ie Lindsay's blog of the build of the prototype! You can find this here."

Thanks for this. With Lindsay's link, Dylan's excellent thread, and the RCM&E article, I feel a lot less intimidated than at first. Indeed, I am starting to relish the prospect...

Parts arrived - but - coming home from a trip I found out that yesterdays storm killed the washing machine, the sky receiver, the dim switches, the fixed telephone and blew several socket fuses. so my priorities are as usual others than starting a build. now I have to replace stuff in a house which is already sold.

VA, slightly, no, rather totally annoyed