The Dawn Flyer's Club House

Thanks for the heads up VA, I am following the mag article to date and as yet there is no mention of fitting the wing plate but I have fitted the wing seats, hmmm, may have to look into this a bit closer before carrying on. Not adding to the blog untill after Weds as I am puxhing to get the Stampe finished for a compo Weds night.

As the wing bolt fixing plate will see some force upwards from the wing itself (for instance every time you pull the elevator) it needs to be fixed in a proper way. for me the best possibility is to have it below the wing support strips. As I made the mistake to glue in the support strips already I had to cut out the space for the wing plate. went better than I thought.

dawn 2.jpg

dawn 1.jpg

The wing plate is now in its place, already glued in and sanded. in case of an upward force the force will be dispersed over the whole wing support. Hope it is clear now what I wanted to express.

VA

Well, may be I make my own thread then

By the way - went to Ali for some triangular balsa and for the piano wire - and of course it happened. He got a load of old kits in, most of them vintage trainers without aileron, so not my pint of beer - but there were two models which caught my eye - ok, I cannot buy two at once, so I had to decide for one... Got myself a skyline Hawk 70 low wing trainer kit. Wings are styrofoam / obeche, there is an FRP cowl, rest is to be built up. in the description it says engine 50 to 60, sounds a bit weak to me for that size. But it is a kit from the times when planes were flying and not hanging on the prop... probably I find a nice 90 or even bigger 4 stroke...

VA, terrible at main street shops.

Went on with the fuselage, I have to say the open tail needs some patience and I made some of the parts 3 times as I was not happy with the fit. Especially the diagonal bars are difficult to fit into position.

dawn 4.jpg

I made the tail skid a little bit different as in the plan, but doing it this way it is in the centre of the construction. after taking the picture I filled the whole thing with epoxy and glued the ply sides on top.

dawn 3.jpg

VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 02/11/2013 20:32:31

I found exactly the same thing VA, eventually got the lattice work finished, put it down to do some work on my Stampe, took a few steps back to view what I was doing, sat down on my chair (without looking) and you can guess what I heard next...........CRRRUUUUNNNCCCHHHHHH!

Luckily the damage was restricted to the lattice work and the front fuz section remained unscathed, so working on replacing rear end at the mo crying 2

thats bad luck Dylan! hope you can mend it properly.So you have to make the tricky bits once more! I am happy having passed this stage.

Played a bit with the engine, also I had problems with the clearance when the shaft is on the position as in the plan. so I had to grind out the former. for the right distance and the side-and down thrust I used aluminium spacers of different length.

dawn 5.jpg

now the sheeting on the front part needs to dry, so that's it for today.

VA

Dylan,

Such bad luck. I have to say that the same possibilty has occurred to me, since when i work, I tend to put things down somewhat absent mindedly. I have been making a special effort to keep my working area unusually tidy!

I have completed the horizontal stabiliser and two elevator halves, plus the fuselage, but decided not to cover the latter till as late as possible, to give me access for as long as I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Took mine out for her maiden today. Ground handling was a bit twitchy but once airborne she flys superb. No trims needed, keep the throttle fairly low for some really nice looking low passes.

Landing was nice and straight, she floated in with just a little throttle to keep her on the line. Once on the deck I needed to keep in some up to avoid a nose over on our lumpy strip.

Hoping the weather holds out for another go at the w/e.

Andrew.