The Dawn Flyer's Club House

Hi Andrew - we want pictures!

went on a bit with mine, wings are almost done. First assembly, and - big surprise: the wing plate hole is in the right place! the wing seat was a bit too short - so I had to cut away approximately 1.2mm.

wingbolt.jpg

taking pictures of the plane is difficult - if you do not stand exactly 90deg above the fuselage looks always tilted. next time I use a tripod...

assembly 1.jpg

Solartex linen ordered, even there is a little time as I need to shape the aileron and put the servos in before I can think of covering.

VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 18/11/2013 20:46:58

Haven't managed to get any flying pictures yet but here is one taken just before the first flight.

Dawn Flyer.jpg

I took her out again this morning but with winds gusting up past 15 mph it was too much for her. Managed to get her back down in one piece but it was exciting. Make a note, this one is only for those calmer days!

Andrew, this looks very good! The calmer days will come, forecast for the next weekend looks fine (here in the midlands), should be low wind but rather fresh...

would like to be that far with my Dawn Flyer!

I am just putting the stabiliser together - and I wonder why the 6mm balsa parts are not laser-cut in the set. It is easy for me, as I have a small precision circular saw, but if you use hand tools this may be a nightmare as it is difficult to cut and grind every part with the correct angles.

VA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Christmas arrived and my partners present was the full kit for me to build the dawn flyer. Opened it up to find the entire wood pack broken in half all the way through both the cnc and balsa strips. Looks like someone tried to fold the package in half. Very disappointing.

oh well I guess I will have to wait a little longer to start my first build

I too received the full wood pack, but mine was all ok, sorry to hear this Darran. As KC says, hopefully MHS will send you a new one.

I'm not sure anyone will knowingly fold a rigid package, and it may have been snapped whilst in transit with all the other deliveries, and delivered by an unwitting driver. The price of these packs isn't cheap, so fingers crossed for you fella.

Daz

Posted by Lindsay Todd on 25/12/2013 13:05:23:

Sorry to hear about that Darren, I'm sure they will replace it asap for you, at least you have plenty of time before Greenacres. have a great day anyway and thank you for choosing Dawn Flyer. Lindsay

I have loads of time to build this. It's my first build so will take a while anyway as I learn as I go along. Besides I am still learning to fly so hopefully by the time I finish the build I will be accomplished enough to give it a few circuits at my club. It's a great little plane I love it's shape etc. thanks for the design.

I am almost there. With a few hick-ups. First the engine doesn't work properly, have to find out if it is the engine or the esc. It doesn't know which direction to run - I have all 3 cables securely connected. It doesn't get to high speed and the speed controller gets warm. (Turnigy plush 40). I have other engines and other speed controllers to test, but what I have selected was the best fit of all parts I found in my bits box.

Building has finished, except the front grill (couldn't find a proper grill material. Have some flower decoration netting in mind) Also the magnets for the battery hatch are not in place.

Undercarriage is complete and painted black (as there was corrosion - probably from the flux)

dawn uc.jpg

I put some effort into the pull-pull, unfortunately I found only a blue arm. Probably some paint can improve that.

dawn pull.jpg

The pilot (1/8 scale) was a bargain but could be a bit taller, I elevated him 6mm so he can see something. The windscreen was once a CD case.

dawn pilot.jpg

I found some nice hooks in an arts and crafts shop, originally in use for glass beads. Works well with the hat elastic, which I fixed using needle and tread.

dawn rigging.jpg

The next surprise came when I put the plane on the COG device - should be approx 50 but we are at 75mm!
Battery is a 1800, there is not enough room under the hatch to go totally into the front. So probably there is some surgery necessary as I am not a fan of the church roof material.

dawn cog.jpg

Of course I ordered some wood props, which will not help with the COG. Probably I change the engine for a bigger (and heavier) one. Have a Hacker A30 10L without home, but probably that is too powerful (almost double in comparison with the engine which is on the plane now).

Also I think about a name label and a registration number. That's it for now. Happy building!

VA

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 30/12/2013 20:07:22

Problem is I made a battery board which is glued to the bottom of the firewall former - which means it is slightly tilted downwards. I tried a flat 2450mAh Hacker battery yesterday which fits fine. But it is flat as I said - 25% longer than a normal 2200mAh. A little bit like Swiss chocolate with its alu foil and purple wrapping. And it is old - so I wonder what capacity it still holds. Probably worth doing some cycles to find out.

I saw yesterday that the current engine (C3536 1000kV) has the thrust to hold the weight of the fuselage with a 10x7 prop, but it gets rather warm doing so. Of course static running doesn't show the real behaviour, and nobody will climb forever. But having seen the weight issues and having to order a new ESC I ordered also the next bigger engine (D3542 1000kV) - saves me the postage in case I need it later. And I also ordered a replacement engine for the Webbit - the last one had some vibration issues and broke into 2 pieces during flight - makes landing an experience....) so I have minimum 2 of the mass build planes ready for Greenacres 2014.

VA

As promised, some pictures from my DF build up to now.

dawn flyer 007.jpg

Some details

dawn flyer 001.jpg

Guide for the elevator control rod, I used 3 of them.

dawn flyer 003.jpg

Detail from the wingdowel hole in F2 and the wingbolt plate with a M5 nut.

dawn flyer 005.jpg

This is the motor i will use, Robbe Roxxy 3545-10 on 3S 2200-25C lipo battery.

dawn flyer 009.jpg

Detail from the ruddercontrol wire tensioners, made from a quick-link, modified treaded coupler, m2 nut and a ferrule. ( I suppose it's the right name for it )

dawn flyer 002.jpg

Detail from the closed loop at the rudder side. ( it's different from the detail on the plan )

dawn flyer 008.jpg

Just above the wing sadle you can see I sanded the fuselage-sides flat to match to the tail end.

Possible some of the details are helpfull for other DF builders.

Koen

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/01/2014 21:01:21

Posted by Darran on 25/12/2013 11:37:31:

Christmas arrived and my partners present was the full kit for me to build the dawn flyer. Opened it up to find the entire wood pack broken in half all the way through both the cnc and balsa strips. Looks like someone tried to fold the package in half. Very disappointing.

oh well I guess I will have to wait a little longer to start my first build

I contacted MHS by phone and they asked me to send an email with the details. I did this and I have had a reply to say another kit will be sent to me. In addition they told me not to send back the damaged kit but to use any salvageable wood etc. I think that's very good of them as good proportion of it is ok.

Hi I am thinking of staining the fuselage wood first before building.

I will use Ronseal wood (not the varnish one) stain and let all parts air dry for some time (2-3 weeks) before I start on the fuselage.

Is this going to help me with C of G...

Will I have problems with adhesion.

I intend to seal with dope 25% X 2-3 coats sprayed on after building work, should I use 50%.

Re the ladder should I first glue the stringers to the sides and then steam them before building.

Ie. make the boat then add the stringers at the correctly chamfered angle, turn upside down and commence the second stage of the fuselage build (tail end).

I will try technical support @ Ronseal also if I can...

Thoughts please, David

Thanks and HNY face 1